D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XIV: Wizard)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
My order is...

Abjuration>Divination>Transmutation>Enchantment>Conjuration
Personally, I think that for the Wizard class (as a whole) to have a shot at the title in the Final Round, the strongest subclass to send forward would be Abjuration or Divination. But there's a lot about Conjuration that I like.

What might that be?
I'm so glad you asked!

The Concept:
You favor spells that produce objects and creatures out of thin air.
As your mastery grows, you learn spells of transportation, and can transport yourself across vast distances, even to other planes.
(Player's Handbook)

2nd LEVEL FEATURES
Conjuration Savant:
the time and money spent scribing Conjuration spells is cut in half. Pretty standard for all "school" subclasses, and how important this ends up being will depend greatly on how well your DM enforces spell costs and downtime.

Minor Conjuration: you can use your action to conjure up an inanimate object in your hand or on the ground (within 10 feet). The object disappears after 1 hour. It's a minor ability, but it can be useful: you always have the right tool for the job, you can make cheap toys for NPC children, etc. And depending on how your DM defines "magical," you can use this ability to always have a vial of acid or holy water at the ready.

It's super-weak, IMO. But it isn't terrible.

6th LEVEL FEATURE
Benign Transportation:

you can use your action to teleport up to 30 feet, or you can swap places with a willing creature within 30 feet. You can do this once per long rest, or until you cast a Conjuration spell.

That recharge mechanic is amazing, and I wish that they had made more use of this with other Wizard subclasses. As for the ability as a whole, it means that you can basically spam a beefier misty step spell several times in a battle for free by casting ice knife (one of the better 1st-level Conjuration spells). It's underpowered for 6th level, but still pretty cool.

10th LEVEL FEATURE
Focused Conjuration:
when you are concentrating on a Conjuration spell, your concentration can't be broken by taking damage. It only applies to about half of your Concentration spells, but the ones it DOES apply to are really important: all of your summon spells, all of your continuing AoE damage spells like cloudkill, evard's black tentacles, and sleet storm, your ongoing buffs like far step...

It's still not a replacement for the War Caster feat, but it's one less thing to worry about when you're in the business of summoning demons and fey. I'm not sure if it's worth waiting until 11th level to get, but here we are.

14th LEVEL FEATURE
Durable Summons:
creatures you summon have 30 temporary hit points.

Okay, now we're cooking with gas! Unfortunately you had to wait until 14th level to get this. I would have preferred this to be an ability that scaled with level, something like "creatures you summon have 2x temporary hit points, where x is your wizard level" and give it to you at 2nd level...but alas.

That said, this ability isn't terrible; but it is weak. Just like the 2nd level feature, and the 6th level feature, and the 11th level feature.

Conclusion: not a bad choice if you're going to be summoning monsters every battle, and then teleporting home for a nap..but not everyone likes that style of play. It's not terrible, I'm not mad about it...but I'd rather roll with Abjurer.

Aldarc

Legend
Personally, I think that for the Wizard class (as a whole) to have a shot at the title in the Final Round, the strongest subclass to send forward would be Abjuration or Divination. But there's a lot about Conjuration that I like.
I don't mind Conjuration or Transmutation going forward into the Final, but Abjuration just feels a little too defensive and metagaming anti-magic: e.g., Mage Armor, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, etc. It's not really what I want out of a wizard or do the sort of things I think about when it comes to arcane mages.

The Diviner is meme worthy:

1669229117182.jpeg

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I don't mind Conjuration or Transmutation going forward into the Final, but Abjuration just feels a little too defensive and metagaming anti-magic: e.g., Mage Armor, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, etc. It's not really what I want out of a wizard or do the sort of things I think about when it comes to arcane mages.

The Diviner is meme worthy:

View attachment 267684

there is solid tradition for the Wizard as defender warding others and banishing demons, undead and magical attacks. Abjuration gets the classic glyphs and magic circles plus funky spells like Banishing Smite and Freedom of the Winds (flight & teleport!) which are also Abjuration

98159F07-CF39-4EB9-8FAC-2634BF7A70ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
there is solid tradition for the Wizard as defender warding others and banishing demons, undead and magical attacks. Abjuration gets the classic glyphs and magic circles plus funky spells like Banishing Smite and Freedom of the Winds (flight!) which are also Abjuration
Boring!

Abjuration Wizards are like that annoying kid on the playground who says "No you didn't hit me at all because I had an invisible force field." Don't be that kid. Ever.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The conceptual problem I think you are having here is that the Weave is NOT actually the definitive way in which magic works in 5e. It's just a Forgotten Realms conceit; one specific way of visualizing magecraft. The ONE place it is mentioned in the core rulebooks explicitly calls this out. From the sidebar on p.205 (of MY phb at least) that mentions it:

The core books describe the variability of magic in many places. For example "Wild and enigmatic, varied in form and function, the power of magic draws students to seek to master its mysteries" (2nd heading, Wizard class description, PHB). Or the opening chapter of the DMG which talks about animism - the concept that spirits are everywhere and that everything has a spirit - as a cosmological viewpoint. Convincing supernatural creatures to affect the world for you actually fits this model of interface between caster's will and raw magic just fine.

To go back to the example of the coughing servitor demon (Hex spell) - that demon would be the "interface between the caster's will and the stuff of raw magic". The caster is informing the demon what he or she wants, and the demon is manipulating the "stuff of raw magic".
The section you bolded disagrees with you. "Mortals can't directly shape this raw magic. Instead they make use of a fabric of magic, a kind of interface between the will of the spellcaster and the stuff of raw magic. The spellcasters of the Forgotten Realms call it the Weave and recognize its essence as the Goddess Mystra, but casters have varied ways of naming and visualizing this interface."
Varied ways of naming and visualising this interface. That sentence means that those other casters are still accessing the weave. The only thing that is unique to FR is calling by that specific name and believing that it is Mystra manifesting in the world as magic.

But regardless of naming conventions, it's the same thing. Magic exists in the world, is external to the self but part of the world, and can be manipulated through formula.
Your demon example is just adding an intermediary between magic and an individual with no ability to interface with magic themself, it doesn't change the fact that the magic is there, in the world, being interfaced with by a conscious being. It's no different than hiring a wizard to cast spells for you.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
But regardless of naming conventions, it's the same thing. Magic exists in the world, is external to the self but part of the world, and can be manipulated through formula.
Your demon example is just adding an intermediary between magic and an individual with no ability to interface with magic themself, it doesn't change the fact that the magic is there, in the world, being interfaced with by a conscious being. It's no different than hiring a wizard to cast spells for you.
Nope. Under the FR Weave model (at least as presented by the PHB), the raw magic inherent to the universe cannot be directly manipulated, even by a Wizard. They manipulate the essence of a sentient entity, Mystra, instead.
Raw magic is the stuff of creation, the mute and mindless will of existence, permeating every bit of matter and present in every manifestation of energy throughout the multiverse. Mortals can't directly shape this raw magic.
The major difference between "The Weave" model and using the demon is WHICH sentient entity one is manipulating. Same deal, really, for a cleric using the power of their god under the FR model. Or an animist cosmology where everything has a spirit that can be negotiated with.

Varied ways of naming and visualising this interface. That sentence means that those other casters are still accessing the weave. The only thing that is unique to FR is calling by that specific name and believing that it is Mystra manifesting in the world as magic.
It's more than that. It means they call it by other names and conceptualize it differently. For example as some fluid-like force to be directed (c.f. "channeling), some sort of solution to soak an object in (c.f. "imbuing"), some amorphous mass to mold or throw like a net (c.f. "casting"), some sort of sound-like force that can be spoken or chanted (c.f. "incanting"). The key point that maybe you're still missing is that no universal characteristic or nature of this "interface" is actually ever defined.

The ONLY aspects that significantly differentiate "The Weave" from most other fantasy magic mechanics in the first place are the specific name, the conceptualization of Mystra as the method of accessing magic; and maybe the idea of some sort of cloth-like network being around us and usuable to affect the real, "raw" magic. Which shouldn't be surprising, really, given that D&D is designed to replicate a variety of fantasy works and worlds. Even Brian Sanderson's metallomancy (or allomancy) idea works just fine under this system. Although in some other fantasy works it is specified that spellcasters DO directly manipulate magic.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We have this tendency in modern fantasy to view magic as some sort of external physical force that can be directly manipulated.
This is exactly how D&D magic works, just to cut through all the nitpicking over wording.

Regardless of what anyone calls Magic’s source, or how they conceptualize it, it is an external “physical” force that can be directly manipulated.

The rest is just pedantics.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Regardless of what anyone calls Magic’s source, or how they conceptualize it, it is an external “physical” force that can be directly manipulated.

The rest is just pedantics.
Ugh. No. By the FR Weave model, by the passage from the PHB spellcasting section I literally just quoted at you it is NOT direct manipulation.

Just like a cleric doesn't directly manipulate raw magic. The divine power of the deity or whatever they pray to does that.

Remove ads