D&D 5E Companion thread to 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XIV: Wizard)

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Main problem is, religion remains a hugely important force in human society. Between Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism, two-thirds of all human beings are religious and at least partially theistic, and more than 83% follow some form of religion (whether or not it is theistic, e.g. Buddhism or various non-theistic folk religions.) Gods and faith are a staple of fantasy literature; to ignore them completely is likely no more tenable. Compromise solutions like 13A's approach are probably the best of a bad bunch. In 13A, there are two groups of deities: the Gods of Light and the Gods of Darkness. The former are the "good guy" deities that most characters revere, the latter are the dangerous/evil/corrupting ones that want to rule. Neither are ever specifically named nor enumerated, and the narrative keeps them both at arm's length to avoid excessive entanglement. Thus, the gods exist, but they never get particularly involved in anything unless DMs (and, ideally, players) specifically want them to.

The space usually taken up by deities is instead filled by the Icons. This serves the double purpose of keeping overt religious components out of day-to-day play, and making sure that the "movers and shakers" of the setting aren't at the enormously-cosmically-powerful deity level, but instead relatively mundane and even killable without upending the setting. The loss or altering of an Icon is a major, perhaps even age-defining event, but it's not something that will cause the world to end, generally speaking.
not ignore just not make classes I like gods in my games but divine magic is well difficult and explaining why they are loot thirsy itinerant killer is hard outside of evil gods as that seems easy.

I have no issue with spirituality or faith, reverence of an individual is insane to me regardless of if they are of deity class super weight or not.
my point is the classes being secular or non-diety mystical is far easier to work from a setting perspective.

I dislike the fool who made his vampire ruin the game as that is why we are in this mess.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
It's really coming down to Sophie's Choice with this final list. These are all good choices. I ultimately decided to upvote Transmutation and downvote Divination;

Transmutation is a great, flavorful subclass, and one of my favorite D&D characters of yore (or at least 3.5) was a Dwarven Transmuter whose answer to most problems was "Enlarge and smash". Whenever she cast Enlarge on herself she swapped out her mini for a Hulk Heroclix. Good times.

Divination in 5e is, yes, not only finally a useful specialization but a really freaking powerful one. My one quibble is that its main feature, fiddling with dice rolls, just isn't as immersive as the remaining subclasses.

Undrave

Legend
Unfortunate. I actually really like the split-subclass design, and find it one of the few aspects of novel 5e design worth keeping.

They work very well for us:

I mean, you could run an entire setting with the basis for all magic being pacts with supernatural entities. One of my current campaigns runs that way.

Wizard is a warlock with Being a Nerd as the pact.

But those aren’t a warlock and sorcerer IMO
I made a Warlock pact to replace the Wizard:

Undrave

Legend
I get the suspicion that clerics and other religious classes should in hindsight have been far more optional as they are just hard to work out
The cleric should have been using a split subclass like the Warlock. Call them 'Cloister' or something and there's one for the Fighter-y Cleric, one for the Blast-y Cleric and maybe a more Support-y cleric. That way the domain you pick doesn't dictate your play style.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Nope

(BTW I changed the 14th level feature since posting it)
It's a great adventure (it's not for 5e but it's definitely D&D ish) in the "depthcrawl" style where you access an infinite pan-dimentional library.

I believe there is a remastered version as well

Remove ads