• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conquest of Bloodsworn Vale [IC]

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
With the mission accepted and the meeting adjourned, the adventurers file slowly out of the keep's meeting room. As they go, the voice of Sir Tolgrith calls after them. "There is one other thing. The people of this community do not yet know the fate of the workers. I ask for your discretion in this matter until it is resolved.” With this understanding, the party takes its leave.

As the hour has now grown somewhat late, the group decides that it may be wiser to wait and depart with the first light of morning. A helpful guard leads the way to the visitor's barracks (A4), where the party will be staying at the hospitality of Sir Tolgrith. The entire building consists of one large space with four bunk beds, a fireplace for cooking, a pair of tables, and seven chairs. The accomodations are not fancy, but the room is clean and serves its function well enough.

When morning finally comes, the party is eager to be off with the rising of the dawn. Each person double and triple checks that all is in order...gear, weapons, and mounts. Finally ready, the group passes through the gatehouse, where they are sent on their way with encouraging words from Gyres Politan, the same guard who offered them entrance one day earlier. Though he is an old soldier, and missing one of his hands, Gyres has a cheerful spirit that proves contagious. Even the weather looks to be fine and clear. It proves a fair enough departure as the security of Fort Thorn is left behind.

The trade route itself consists of a wide track which has been cleared through the dense foliage of Bloodsworn Vale. Trees, bushes, brambles, and rose thickets have been cut back to allow the passage of horses and wagons. The path is easily wide enough for party's mounts to ride abreast, and the traveling is easy enough. The group's pace is sure and steady, and just past midmorning, they reach the place along the trail where Sir Tolgrith indicated the workers' camp had been attacked. It's an easy matter to find the ambush site itself, just a few hundred feet off the path.

A few torn tents and a long-cold fire pit are all that remain now of the workers’ camp. Although the bodies have been buried in a single large grave off to one side, dried bloodstains clearly mark the spots where they fell.

Your actions?

ethandrew

First Post
Besik takes a casual glance around, and smirks, "Charming, really."

[sblock=Prepared Spells]1st: Unseen Servant, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Magic Missile, Reduce Person, Enlarge Person
2nd: Invisibility, Bull's Strength*, Scorching Ray, Gust of Wind, See Invisibility
3rd: Haste*, Fly*, Fireball, Leomund's Tiny Hut

*Extended Spell (Metamagic School Focus Transmutation)

DC:
1st: 16 (17)
2nd: 17 (18)
3rd: 18 (19)[/sblock]

s@squ@tch

First Post
Percivilis and Jerivan

Percivilis takes a long look around the site of the massacre, the senseless murder seeping into his very soul. For a short period of time, his effervescent outward jocularity and charm are supressed. "There is no honor in attacking foes while they sleep."

He and Jerivan give a quick prayer to Iomedae.

"Shandul," Percivilis says,"You are quite attuned to the land, what do you make of this? What type of creatures did this -- and can you find any evidence left behind of their exploits or tactics? Can you find any trail or means to track them?"

He says quietly to Jerivan,"Keep your senses sharp, make sure that there are no evil presences lurking in the bushes around the clearing."

OOC:
Jerivan will use his detect evil to make sure that there are no sinister beings lurking just out of view.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Aelish Karn (Human Male Herald) HP: 33

While we travel I will grace the party with a story or two of the time that I served with Sir Tolgrith which should help to pass the time at least for a little bit.

Percivilis spoke the same thoughts that Aelish was having as well. He looks to Shandul and says "I can assist you if you guide me since tracking is not something that I have practice with. Hopefully, I can learn a thing or two from you as we go.

Perhaps while Shandul and I are busy with that the rest of us can check up and down the road as well as on and off the road for other signs that may have been missed: tracks, dead bodies and such.
" He looks to the rest of the party for their ideas and then to Shandul.

[OOC: Looking to perform an 'Aid Another' attempt with Shandul's tracking. ]

ethandrew

First Post
Besik sighs in annoyance to Percivilis' questions and turns, looking him square in the eye, "As I stated previously before you started to mock me in front of the captain, the perpetrators, or at least the small arrows, come from Fey. The ears, I know naught. But Fey were here, at least from what the captain told us."

[sblock=Actions]Besik will cast Detect Magic, obviously to see if he can detect any magic.[/sblock]

Azgulor

Adventurer
Aldur draws his warhammer and begins examining the area looking for spent arrows, discarded weapons, or any other possible clue as the attackers' identity, the direction they came from, or the direction they went.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Percivilis and Jerivan

In a counciliatory tone, Percivilis approaches the elf -- "My good Besik - the key is to determine which type of fey did this -- I highly doubt that this was done by some pixies gone mad, unless something in the vale has tainted their good nature. I highly suspect some evil fey have claimed the vale as their own -- but alas, I am not well versed in the various fey creatures who harbor evil in their hearts." He pats Besik on the shoulder, then walks over to where Jerivan is crouched, looking at the ground.

[D]la la la [/D]
"Jerivan - did you sense any evil auras around us?"

"No -- I sensed nothing, the place is devoid of an evil taint at this time. Hopefully we can find some evidence of the type of attack that took place -- surely the attackers would not have had the sense, or cared, to remove all traces of their evil activity, especially since they chose to desecrate the corpses of their victims."

Boddynock

First Post
Shandul frowns as his companions start to wander around the site. "Hey! I know the recovery teams have probably scuffed up all the tracks anyway, but unless you know what you're doing, it'd be better if you just stood still and let me have a look."

[sblock=OOC]Survival +16

And in response to Percivilis' question about type of creatures involved: Knowledge (Nature) +14[/sblock]

Remove ads