• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conquest of Bloodsworn Vale [IC]

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
Despite Shandul's admonishment, Aldur begins a thorough search of the campsite (Search Check: 11), and turns up a few things that the scouts must have missed. He gathers together his discoveries to show the others: a pair of torn but serviceable tents, two full waterskins, a pair of bone dice, and a silver dagger.

Meanwhile, Shandul begins to take a hard look at the ground, eager to find any possible tracks or clues that would be detectable only by a trained tracker. Aelish trails along behind him, but fails to offer any real assistance, despite his good efforts. (Aid Another failed) Still, despite the others traipsing about the site, Shandul does come up with some things. His keen eyes and training pick up a faint trail heading south. (Track Check: 26) The trail appears to have been made by a small creature, humanoid, and with unshod feet. Shandul also finds, next to a nearby tree, something very curious. It's a small arrow, apparently made from rosewood. It has a wicked-looking thorn for a tip, and specially treated rose petals for fletching. Shandul certainly agrees with Besik's assessment that this is the work of fey...but even the ranger cannot say as he's heard of any like this before.

Last edited:

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Aelish Karn (Human Male Herald) HP: 33

"I have worked with scouts before while tracking, but that was nothing short of amazing, Shandul. You have very keen eyes, my friend. I wish I could have been more help to you during the process. There was a lot to learn here from you. Thank you for taking the time to point out what is important." Aelish states, impressed with the local's ability.

"I am curious if there is a specific reason a 'silver' dagger was found. Perhaps that is important. What do you guys think?"

"Perhaps we should collect what we found to return to Captain Tolgrith later, and then follow the tracks South and see what we get ourselves into?"

[OOC: Is there anything special about the dagger? Is it recently used? Any special markings on it?

Before we take off I will pull out my Herald's Book and make a quick sketch of where things were found as well as the set up of the camp and anything else that I may have found important with the campsite and on the way here. I will also write down any thoughts that we have about it. Will we be able to take our horses with us into the forest?
]

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
FreeXenon said:
[OOC: Is there anything special about the dagger? Is it recently used? Any special markings on it?

Before we take off I will pull out my Herald's Book and make a quick sketch of where things were found as well as the set up of the camp and anything else that I may have found important with the campsite and on the way here. I will also write down any thoughts that we have about it. Will we be able to take our horses with us into the forest?
]
OOC: There doesn't look to be anything especially noteworthy about the dagger. The horses can be taken into the forest, but with all the rose bush thickets impeding the way, progress will not be swift.

s@squ@tch said:
OOC: what size are the silver dagger and bone dice? human?
OOC: Yes, human size. Presumably, overlooked possessions of the slaughtered work crew.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Percivilis and Jerivan

"I am somewhat intrigued that a work crew would carry something such as a silvered dagger..." He says as he examines the dagger in his hands. He puts it back with the rest of the found gear and turns to Shandul.

"Excellent job finding that trail! Now we can track these creatures to their camp and hopefully put an end to them. Iomedae has shined upon us this day."

OOC: I plan on taking my horses with me -- on foot if need be -- I don't feel comfortable leaving them behind, as they might 'disappear'.

Azgulor

Adventurer
OOC: Just how small are these tracks?

"Doesn't it seem odd that we found tracks? I only know what I've heard in song and legend, but aren't fey supposed to fly or disappear or blend into the forest in a blink of an eye? Could it be a false trail, meant to lead us to a trap?"

Boddynock

First Post
"Not all fey can do that," says Shandul confidently, "but clearly these are small," - he holds up the arrow to demonstrate - "and skilled at moving through the woods. It helps to have a good tracker."

Here he smiles self-deprecatingly.

He turns aside and gestures and whistles. A moment later, the eagle appears, flying down to perch on his arm. It cocks its head and listens intently as he strokes its wings and whispers to it.

"Up you go, Golden. See what you can find for us."

He then launches the bird, which moves upward with powerful strokes until it is high overhead, at which time it begins to gyre over the surrounding countryside.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
Aelish Karn (Human Male Herald) HP: 33

Azgulor said:
Could it be a false trail, meant to lead us to a trap?"

"Aldur has a point, hiding ones tracks and creating another set that would lead one astray or even into an ambush is a common enough tactic that we should be more aware. If they were sophisticated enough to carry out an ambush and slaughter of the larger sized work crew, it would not be too much of a stretch to think that they could hide tracks or plan an ambush with a false trail.

Perhaps we should start searching in the exact opposite direction for tracks - on the north side of the camp and the trail for signs of recent passage. It cannot hurt to check it our at least a little before we head off to follow the Southern trail. We could do that while your feathered friend is searching about?
"

s@squ@tch

First Post
Percivilis and Jerivan

"Lets not overthink this -- I doubt any of us except for Shandul could have found that trail, so I view with some skepticism the theory that the trail to the south was intentionally left to confuse us."

Remove ads