• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Epic Level Creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

We'll need to whip up some flavor text and tactics.

Environment: Any?

Organization: Solitary?

Challenge Rating: 18-20?

An undead mass is about x feet in diameter and weighs roughly x pounds.

That environments and organization fits.

I think they look like a CR 18.

25 foot diameter and 3 to 8 feet in height?

A back of the envelope calculation suggest 75,000 to 90,000 pounds weight, assuming about half is space between the crammed-together corpses.

Call it 40 tons?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Do the flavor text and tactics look OK?

Hmm, the tactics are fine but the original monster was used as a component in a giant necromantic engine. I'd like to include that in the flavour text, e.g.:

An undead mass is a vile undead conglomeration created by the most twisted of necromancers. Undead masses are primarily used as guardians and slayers, who are occasionally unleashed upon small villages and similar settlements to sow fear and chaos. They can also be used as brute labourers or as necromantic engines: some great magical machines have an undead mass built inside, whose many strong arms and electrical energy power the device. Should such a death machine be destroyed, the undead mass inside will smash its way out and attack.

Greater undead masses are known to exist. These "battlefield undead masses" wield weapons and subsume the slain to increase their own bulk and prowess.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I thought we'd decided we'd added enough stuff to the Battlemass to make it a separate monster?

We did. I just left it as an underbar so we wouldn't have to dig back through the thread when the time comes (which it now has).

So, start with same HD and ability scores as undead mass?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I guess I'd prefer bumping them a few HD and shifting the advancement accordingly, say starting at 30 HD. But I don't particularly care.

Cleon

Legend
We did. I just left it as an underbar so we wouldn't have to dig back through the thread when the time comes (which it now has).

So, start with same HD and ability scores as undead mass?

I'd keep the starting Hit Dice the same but give the ability scores a bit of a boost.

Str 38, Dex 13, Con —, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads