• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Epic Level Creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, I did notice your proposal but then forgot about it. :blush: 25th level wizard with spontaneous illusion spells is fine. I don't see really any justification in the original monster for the extra 10th level cleric casting, though.

Cleon

Legend
Actually, I did notice your proposal but then forgot about it. :blush: 25th level wizard with spontaneous illusion spells is fine. I don't see really any justification in the original monster for the extra 10th level cleric casting, though.

Well it does seem a little surplus to requirements, but the original creature was a 10th level cleric and druid and the other CC conversions of Greater Titans tend to have two sets of spellcasting ability if the AD&D originals had multiple spellcasting classes (though if the original had more than two spellcasting classes the CC just cut them down to the most significant).

e.g. the AD&D version of Prometheus is a 13th level cleric, 13th level druid, 15th level wizard and 10th level bard, while the CC conversion casts spells as a 15th level wizard and 13th level cleric.

Overall, I think we might as well make him a 10th level cleric.

Cleon

Legend
I'll add it in then.

Updating the Andromidus Working Draft.

We needed some domains for his clerical casting, so I gave him Knowledge, Luck and Trickery since those seemed appropriate.

All the Greater Titan conversions with cleric casting in the CC had four clerical domains (there are four of them - Cruis, Kronus, Oceanus and Prometheus, of which three have higher level cleric casting than our lad).

So I guess we should give him another Domain. Since Prometheus was his mentor, I'm thinking we should give him one of the fire-bringer's domains. Prometheus has Good, Fire, Knowledge and Protection.

Of those, Good seems the best fit, so I'll add that in.

I've red questioned all the domains as the rest of you haven't had a chance to comment on them.

Cleon

Legend
Oh, while updating the working draft I noticed that most of the DCs in the Basic Greater Titan's spell-like abilities entry are wrong. Most are a point or two too high:

Creature Catalogue
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – chain lightning (DC 27), charm monster (DC 25), cure critical wounds (DC 25), fire storm (DC 28), greater dispel magic, hold monster (DC 26), invisibility, invisibility purge, levitate, persistent image (DC 26), polymorph (humanoid forms only, duration 1 hour), protection from energy, read magic; 3/day – etherealness, freedom of movement, greater teleport, summon nature’s ally IX, word of chaos (DC 26); 1/day – gate, maze, meteor swarm (DC 30), plane shift, wind walk. Caster level 25th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

In addition, titans of good or neutral alignment can use the following additional spell-like abilities: At will – daylight, holy smite (DC 25), remove curse (DC 25); 1/day – greater restoration. Caster level 25th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Titans of evil alignment can use the following additional spell-like abilities: At will – bestow curse (DC 25), deeper darkness, unholy blight (DC 25); 1/day – Bigby’s crushing hand (DC 30). Caster level 25th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.​

With Charisma 28, their SLAs should have a DC of 19 + spell level:

bigby's crushing hand (19+9th = DC 28, not 30)
bestow curse (19+4th = DC 23, not 25)
chain lightning (19+7th = DC 26, not 27)
charm monster (19+4th = DC 23, not 25)
cure critical wounds (19+4th = DC 23, not 25)
fire storm (19+8th = DC 27, not 28)
hold monster (19th+5th = DC 24, not 26)
holy smite (19+4th = DC 23, not 25)
meteor swarm (19+9th = DC 28, not 30)
persistent image (19th+5th = DC 24, not 26)
remove curse (19+4th = DC 23, not 25)
unholy blight (19+4th = DC 23, not 25)
word of chaos (19+7th = DC 26, correct)

I don't see any special ability to account for this, so we'd better correct it when (if!) the creature catalog is working again.

I'll add a post to the Corrections thread so we can remember to do it.

I had a quick glance through the individual Greater Titans, and their spell-like abilities appear to have the correct DCs. Admittedly it was a cursory examination, so there might be a few errors, but it looks like it's just the generic titan that has the problem.

freyar

Those 4 domains will be fine.

Before we get to the long lists of spells, shall we tackle this?
Andromidus cannot create mortal men from clay as Prometheus does, but he can transmute any nonliving substance found on the Prime Material Plane. These transmutations are permanent as long as the items remain on the Prime Material Plane. Turning a gold earring into a pebble, for example, would be quite easy for him to do, as would be the reverse act. Up to 1,000 gp weight of material may be transmuted per day, but he refuses to use this power for the sake of anyone’s personal gain (though his dreaming subconscious creates situations in which this is so). Magical items cannot be so created (though his illusions may make items appear to be magical).

Cleon

Legend
Those 4 domains will be fine.

Before we get to the long lists of spells, shall we tackle this?

Might as well.

That'd be the easy one compared to hit "dreaming illusions" and spell selection.

A literal translation would be:

Transmutation (Su): Andromidus can transform any non-magical non-living object or substance found on the Prime Material Plane into any other inanimate Prime Material object or substance of the same weight. He can transmute up to 100 pounds of material a day. The transmutation is permanent so long as the transformed material is on the Prime Material Plane. Transmuted objects revert to their original forms if they leave the Plane.

freyar

I guess that'll do! Thanks!

The thing about the dream illusions is that I can't tell if that's a separate ability or if somehow he is casting spells while he sleeps. After all, his waking illusion ability is tied to spell casting. It would almost make sense to give him some additional illusion ability beyond or instead of the "spontaneously casts illusions" ability.

Cleon

Legend
I guess that'll do! Thanks!

Updating the Andromidus Working Draft.

The thing about the dream illusions is that I can't tell if that's a separate ability or if somehow he is casting spells while he sleeps. After all, his waking illusion ability is tied to spell casting. It would almost make sense to give him some additional illusion ability beyond or instead of the "spontaneously casts illusions" ability.

I was planning on giving him some additional illusion ability but haven't quite decided how to go about it yet.

His illusion-generating ability is his main schtick, really. It appears to be a spell or spell-like ability, since it can be impeded by spell resistance.

The adventure indicates he can create some kind of virtual reality with his illusion power. Andrimidus is asleep and thinking of three situations that concern him, when the PCs approach his sleeping body and become engulfed in a "gray mist" and find themselves in various small "dream worlds" that contain manifestations of the problems and events Andromidus was thinking about.

Remove ads