• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Epic Level Creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yeah, he's got some innate divination ability too, but I agree generally.

I think the first question is what type of illusion the dream worlds are. I'm tempted to go with shadows, so they're more dangerous, but the description sounds a bit more like a pattern or phantasm to me.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, he's got some innate divination ability too, but I agree generally.

I think the first question is what type of illusion the dream worlds are. I'm tempted to go with shadows, so they're more dangerous, but the description sounds a bit more like a pattern or phantasm to me.

Well they don't do real damage. Characters who are "killed" only die for real if they fail a system shock roll. Those who succeed only appear dead for the duration of that particular dream, and reappear in the next "dream act" without any damage

In AD&D, a system shock roll is pretty easy to make. If you remember that far back, it's a percentage change given in the Constitution Table. A Con 10 character has a 75% chance of success, and scales up and down unevenly from there: Con 3 is 35%, Con 8 is 60%, Con 15 is 90%, Con 18 is 100%.

It'd be a pretty close match to a DC 5 Constitution check in 3E terms.

Nookie

Explorer
Well maybe just ignore the death all togeather. Paralysis or sleep when they "die" that would be a more smooth mechanic than a weird 1 in 20 chance of just croaking.

Cleon

Legend
Well maybe just ignore the death all togeather. Paralysis or sleep when they "die" that would be a more smooth mechanic than a weird 1 in 20 chance of just croaking.

That approach would be acceptable, although I think unconsciousness is probably the most appropriate condition.

Cleon

Legend
Unconscious works for me. Cool beans :D

Okay, seems we're agreed on that.

Let's try to figure out some parameters for this power. It likely should be (Su) since the Titan can use it unconsciously - plus it'll give it a better save DC.

We need a range and/or area of effect. In the adventure the "grey mists" appear soon after the PCs enter Andromidus's temple, which should give us a minimum range. However, the place is HUGE, with the entrance 700 feet away from the throne were Andromidus is slumbering, and an "inner entrance" 500 feet from him.

That suggests a range or radius of effect of about 600 feet, although that might be a minimum.

As for the area of effect, in the adventure he creates 5 illusory "sets", some of which are pretty large.

Set A - Forest, 470 feet by 360 feet.
Set B - Underground Passages, 120 feet by 85 feet.
Set C - Open Ground, 485 by 350 feet.
Set D - Caverns, 430 by 260 feet.
Set E - Three-roomed building, 35 feet by 30 feet.

If all those sets are existing in the same space within the "gray mist" they'll easily fit within a 500 or 600 foot radius. However the sets change each time the PCs visit them as Andromidus's dream about the situation they represent changes.

That suggests he's recreating a set each time the PCs pass through it, so the minimum dream size need only be the longest dimensions of the largest set - which is 485 feet.

So a range/area of 500 feet by 500 feet would fit the observed scale.

Nookie

Explorer
Lets just give it a flat 1000 feet and call it good i dont think it needs to be more than that. Might make it more on another plane. Cant remember if the adventure takes place on another plane or not though.

Cleon

Legend
Lets just give it a flat 1000 feet and call it good i dont think it needs to be more than that. Might make it more on another plane. Cant remember if the adventure takes place on another plane or not though.

It's on the Prime Material.

The PCs go to investigate strange thundering noises emanating from a titanic temple (literally Titanic) and discover Andromidus asleep inside. Before they can do anything, they are engulfed in the gray mist of his illusory power and are trapped in illusions of what he's dreaming about. They are trapped until they solve the problems that he's mulling over in his dreams - or until he wakes up, I guess.

The "grey mist" might be a temporary astral plane of some sort. Some of the "sets" they explore are larger than the chambers inside the Temple, so there can't be a 1-on-1 correspondence to space - they'd be walking into marble pillars.

The PCs could actually be unconscious or immobilized while within the mist and "dreaming" they're walking around the sets, but if that's so why would the sets be limited in size and surrounded by gray mist? Wouldn't their horizons be as far away as Andromidus imagines them.

Nookie

Explorer
i was thinking on his home plane his illusion is rediculously large. while on prime its limited to 1000 feet. Im ok with temp astral plane though.

Cleon

Legend
i was thinking on his home plane his illusion is rediculously large. while on prime its limited to 1000 feet. Im ok with temp astral plane though.

It'll might be easier to make it some kind of "virtual reality" the victims are trapped in. We need to consider whether the victims can escape from the gray mist using teleport or plane shift, or can they break the effect using antimagic or disjunction effects?

Remove ads