• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It doesn't have to be identical to the spell, which is why I suggested the Str check. But since you don't like that...

I guess I prefer the Ref save only to avoid, but I don't mind too much either way. The skill check could also be insanely high; it's just that dragons don't usually invest much in Escape Artist.

Cleon

Legend
It doesn't have to be identical to the spell, which is why I suggested the Str check. But since you don't like that...

I guess I prefer the Ref save only to avoid, but I don't mind too much either way. The skill check could also be insanely high; it's just that dragons don't usually invest much in Escape Artist.

Yes, I'd be OK with that. Give the DC of the Escape Artist / Reflex check a hefty circumstance bonus.

For example, masterwork manacles require a DC 35 Escape Artist check. If we set the bonus so a typical 10th level Undead Dragon Slayer's Wingbinding has that DC and even a CR-appropriate dragon (like, say, a Juvenile Red Dragon with a +10 Ref save) would have difficulty making that Ref save.

So, something like 10 plus 1/2 level plus [primary ability] plus a +10 bonus might give the numbers we need. We could have an "Improved Wingbinding" with improved range and DC if that seems inadequate for the big Wyrms.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So, something like 10 plus 1/2 level plus [primary ability] plus a +10 bonus might give the numbers we need. We could have an "Improved Wingbinding" with improved range and DC if that seems inadequate for the big Wyrms.

I really don't care for the arbitrary +10.

Rather than the additional +10 bonus, how about just level (instead of 1/2 level)? I'd be willing to even go with character level (rather than class level) in this case.

Cleon

Legend
I really don't care for the arbitrary +10.

Rather than the additional +10 bonus, how about just level (instead of 1/2 level)? I'd be willing to even go with character level (rather than class level) in this case.

That'd be OK by me, except the Undead Dragon Slayer doesn't actually necessarily have levels in a Dragon Slayer class, since it's a template. So, we're talking character level or Hit Dice here.

Remove ads