• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Convince me that the Ranger is a necessary Class.

mellored

Legend
I kind of feel like that doesn't come up often enough that I'd ever feel happy to find a decanter of endless undrinkable water.
Fill up a pit trap and swim out.

Pour water on the floor and see where it flows, detecting floor traps and under secret doors.

Wash dirt off.

Use it as a hydrolic press.

Grow crops durring a drought.

niklinna

satisfied?
How is it undrinkable? Is it something that can be solved by rubbing a spellcaster with purify food and drink on it, or filtering over activated charcoal? Or does it try to flee from any mouths that try to ingest it because it's designed to be petty about the 'exploration' pillar?
"Undrinkable" is pretty not-specific. If it's undrinkable because of poison/disease, then you could use Purify Food and Drink on it. If it's just salty, or teleported from the depths of a disgusting bog, then no, per the wording of Purify Food and Drink. Although I suppose you could argue that saltwater is poisonous, after a fashion.

I don't have a general problem with an item being limited in ways that make sense, but this one really doesn't. If you are conjuring water, pure nothing-but-H2O seems way simpler than conjuring something with other stuff in it. "The water disappears after X rounds" I could buy—you really wouldn't want to drink (much of) that! But then you have another creative use that's likely to be problematic.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Rogue Scout sucks at doing actual rangery stuff.
The rogue scout is a good scout, I guess, but like…a whole reaction to move a fairly small amount when someone moves up to you? Thats your central active feature? Meh.

And all they are is good at passing survival and nature checks….they don’t get extra anything from those checks.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Aragorn, Drizzt and Minsc are Rangers.

<--Thread ends here -->
So are these guys!

OIP (7).jpg

OIP (6).jpg

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It's good game design. You want players to make choices based on what they want, not avoid choices based on what they don't want.
Getting rid of stat penalties removes choices based on what I want, though. I used to be able to play against type by putting an 18 that I rolled into intelligence and play the rare orc wizard. Now I can't do that, because orcs have no type to play against. Nor does any other race. The removal of stat penalties combined with the floating bonuses ensures that the ability to choose to play a racial type or choose to play against a racial type have permanently been taken away from me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads