• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Convince me that the Ranger is a necessary Class.

niklinna

satisfied?
I would not mind penalties, but not having them opens up many character concepts, also most of the races(species) are humans+cosmetics, so generally same ability is expected.

but small vs. medium size strength being equal is breaking the disbelieve a little;

average halfling vs average human would make Flyweight vs. super heavyweight completely fair match by comparison.

same goes goes for medium vs. large; you should be one of the strongest humans alive to go against an anorexic ogre and hoping to win a wrestle match.
This is a game where PCs go toe-to-toe with gimongous ancient dragons and demon lords. A human and a halfling are both effectively insect-sized to them, like a deerfly and a mosquito. I'm really not worried about PCs wrestling anorexic ogres.

So you sublimate your own interests for your players? I don't assume what I want is less important than what they want, and I don't see myself as their employee. We came up with something they enjoy playing and I enjoy running. Turns out that's Level Up with a few houserules. Not my ideal, but it works well enough.
So your more realistic game is one that ended with such vide-game-esque design as to create a source of endless water that doesn't do anything water does?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So your more realistic game is one that ended with such vide-game-esque design as to create a source of endless water that doesn't do anything water does?
You are I assume talking about Supply? Look, I would absolutely love to use a more realistic method to handle survival, with food and water being separately tracked and handled realistically. But it is nigh impossible to get players to buy into something which is functionally a straight negative from their point of view, no matter how much I like it or would be fine with as a player myself. So I accept Supply as a necessary abstraction so I can actually have exploration and travel rules at all.

Just like hit points and the combat rules.

You are I assume talking about Supply? Look, I would absolutely love to use a more realistic method to handle survival, with food and water being separately tracked and handled realistically. But it is nigh impossible to get players to buy into something which is functionally a straight negative from their point of view, no matter how much I like it or would be fine with as a player myself. So I accept Supply as a necessary abstraction so I can actually have exploration and travel rules at all.

Just like hit points and the combat rules.
No, I mean how A5E version of decanter of endless water somehow produces water that cannot be used in any way water can except the few ways listed because it would "trivialize survival", effectively turning it into item operating on video game logic. So much for realism.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, I mean how A5E version of decanter of endless water somehow produces water that cannot be used in any way water can except the few ways listed because it would "trivialize survival", effectively turning it into item operating on video game logic. So much for realism.
Ok, fair enough. I actually haven't memorized the descriptions of every magic item in A5e, so I was unaware of that. Even so, I hardly think one wonky magic item implies a lack of interest in realism generally.

Rest assured, if such an item showed up in my game it would operate like normal water.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Wait, you can't drink from the decanter in A5e?

niklinna

satisfied?
Wait, you can't drink from the decanter in A5e?
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 20.37.21.png

Maybe it's still good for watering the garden?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads