Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like the taste of most of the vegetarian patties I’ve had, but I’ve also had allergic reactions to them as well. So I don’t mess around with them, myself.

The sole exception would be what I do with large portobello caps. Those, I occasionally bake with a bit of butter or EVOO and seasonings, and use them as a substitute for hamburger patties. They work pretty well. You can dress them up exa the same way you would a burger.

I do remember some company mixing their ground meat with ground portobello for a “healthier” burger experience before the “Impossible” brand and others blew up.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would rather just eat a vegetarian pattie than an impossible burger pretending to be meat. Aren't they loaded with salt?

Bought a spuce pumpkin based burger patties and some kumara rostis. Both were great taste wise.

We have a few tins of chick peas to eat. They're not to bad roasted in the air fryer.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hummus is alright, but I prefer a baba ganoush to most hummus variants.

A Turkish place near me makes the best I’ve found. They do theirs with a stronger than usual smokiness.

Hmmmmm…have you ever smoked your hummus?

Zardnaar

Legend
Hummus is alright, but I prefer a baba ganoush to most hummus variants.

A Turkish place near me makes the best I’ve found. They do theirs with a stronger than usual smokiness.

Hmmmmm…have you ever smoked your hummus?

You can buy smoked hummus off the shelf here. Best baba ganoush was that Syrian place that shut down so so good. It was our favorite starter.

Donuts rare here but every cafe does a scone/biscuit pretty much. Deluxe Scone that was a freebie at our local place.

IMG_20220104_135914.jpg

It's been sexed up a bit usually they're just a cheese scone. It's also our favorite place for a cheese roll.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Heard that you don't get black currents in USA that much as they were banned for decades. We can get cranberry juice but Ribena is a go to

IMG_20220106_230632.jpg

IMG_20220106_230647.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Heard that you don't get black currents in USA that much as they were banned for decades. We can get cranberry juice but Ribena is a go to

View attachment 149458

View attachment 149459
Welllll…it’s complicated.

Be that as it may, that looks tasty!

Zardnaar

Legend
I know they're legal now just guessing they're not common. That juice was very tart makes cranberry juice taste like fanta. Was hoping for Ribena which is British but it's here. That's the sweet one.

Anathoth Farm Blackcurrant Jam - made in New Zealand

Favourite jam brand but haven't tried that flavour. Cupboard has boysenberry.

I think that jam is made by the juice company.

Last edited:

Remove ads