Creature Catalog new 3.5 conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Duruch’i-lin, Ch’i-lin

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...verting-oriental-adventures-creatures-20.html

Duruch’i-lin, Ch’i-lin
Gargantuan Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 32d10+256 (432 hp)
Initiative: +12
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), fly 90 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 33 (-4 size, +4 Dex, +8 deflection, +15 natural), touch 18, flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +32/+57
Attack: Bite +41 melee (2d10+13) or 6 magic bolts +36 ranged (3d6+4 force)
Full Attack: Bite +41 melee (2d10+13) and 2 hooves +36 melee (1d10+6) or 6 magic bolts +36 ranged (3d6+4 force)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of golden flames, magic bolts, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to death effects, poison, and mind-affecting spells and abilities, low-light vision, plane shift, telepathy 200 ft., unearthly grace, water walk, wild empathy
Saves: Fort +34, Ref +34, Will +28
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 18, Con 26, Int 27, Wis 23, Cha 27
Skills: Balance +39, Concentration +43, Diplomacy +47, Handle Animal +43, Heal +41, Knowledge (arcana) +43, Knowledge (geography) +43, Knowledge (nature) +43, Knowledge (religion) +43, Knowledge (the planes) +43, Listen +41, Move Silently +39, Search +43, Sense Motive +41, Spellcraft +47, Spot +41, Survival +6 (+10 following tracks, +10 to keep from getting lost or to avoid natural hazards, +10 in aboveground natural environments, +10 on other planes)
Feats: Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Dire Charge, Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Eyes in the Back of Your Head, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Knock Down, Superior Initiative
Environment: Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 22
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always lawful good
Advancement: 33-42 HD (Gargantuan), 43-80 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: —

This creature resembles a gigantic unicorn, but with long, wolflike jaws. Its blunt, fleshy horn extends from its forehead at least five feet. Its coat a riot of color, with splotches of red, yellow, black, white, and blue, and a brilliant yellow belly.

The duruch’i-lin is a beloved creature, seldom seen by mortals. The appearance of these creatures is always associated with longevity, health, and good fortune. The female duruch’i-lin is a “ch’i-lin”, while the male is a “duru.”

A ch’i-lin has an affinity with all living creatures. She is especially fond of creatures of the forest, with whom she shares a strong bond of friendship and trust. A ch’i-lin seldom walks on the ground, fearing she will accidentally trample an innocent insect or damage the vegetation. She eats only minerals and drinks only from the purest of streams.

A ch’i-lin has no permanent lair, preferring to roam the wilds in the company of her animal friends. When desiring privacy, she uses plane shift to find a quiet place of meditation, sometimes for up to a decade at a time. A ch’i-lin tends to shun the civilized world, but she often makes an appearance when an especially benevolent ruler or wise sage is about to be born.

Legends claim that the first ch’i-lin was a blending of the bodies of two creatures, the ch’i (a stag with silver antlers and emerald eyes) and the lin (a war horse with a golden coat whose every step cracked the earth). Both creatures are reputedly now extinct.

A typical adult ch’i-lin grows to 64 feet in length, stands 40 feet high at the shoulder, and weighs 300 tons. Females are noticeably larger and more powerfully built than the males of the species (see the duru entry).

A ch’i-lin can speak Common and Auran, and can communicate telepathically with any creature that has a language and communicate empathically with any creature that is not mindless. Her voice sounds like the tinkling of silver bells.

COMBAT

The ch’i-lin is normally passive and docile, and resorts to violence only as a last resort.

Aura of Golden Flames (Sp): Three times per day, a ch'i-lin may produce an aura of golden flame around itself, which lasts for 1 round per caster level. Any weapon that strikes the ch'i-lin while it is so protected has its hardness reduced by 5 for 10 rounds, thereby increasing the effectiveness of sunder attempts against the weapon. In addition, rolling a 1 on an attack with an affected weapon causes it to take damage equivalent to the amount it would have dealt on a successful hit. This is the equivalent to a 4th level spell. Caster level 20th.

Magic Bolts (Su): As a standard action, a ch’i-lin can unleash a volley of magical bolts from its horn. Each bolt can be targeted at a different creature, or the ch’i-lin may target multiple bolts at a single creature. Each bolt requires a ranged attack roll, with a range increment of 60 feet, and deals 3d6+4 points of force damage on a hit. The ch’i-lin's bolts are treated as magic weapons with a +4 enhancement bonus.

Plane Shift (Sp): A ch’i-lin can enter Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia, the Astral Plane, or the Material Plane. This ability transports the ch’i-lin and up to eight other creatures, provided they remain in physical contact with the ch’i-lin. It is otherwise similar to the spell of the same name (caster level 20th).

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—bless, invisibility (self only). Caster level 20th.

Unearthly Grace (Su): A ch’i-lin adds her Charisma modifier as a bonus on all her saving throws, and as a deflection bonus to her Armor Class. (The statistics block already reflects these bonuses).

Water Walk (Su): A ch’i-lin continually walks on water as the water walk spell (caster level 20th).

Wild Empathy (Ex): This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that a ch’i-lin has a +10 racial bonus on the check.

Duruch’i-lin and Oriental Adventures
If you are using Oriental Adventures in your campaign, duruch’i-lin possess the Spirit subtype and hail from the Spirit World.

Originally appeared in Monstrous Compendium Kara-Tur Appendix (1990).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Genie, Tasked, Herdsman

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-monster-talk/268436-converting-al-qadim-creatures-32.html

Genie, Tasked, Herdsman
Large Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: Spear +5 melee (1d8+3/x3) or short sword +5 melee (1d6+2/19–20) or composite longbow +5 ranged (1d8/x3)
Full Attack: Spear +5 melee (1d8+3/x3) or short sword +5 melee (1d6+2/19–20) or composite longbow +5 ranged (1d8/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., herd animal empathy, plane shift, telepathy 100 ft., tireless march
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 13
Skills: Climb +2 (+4 ropes), Escape Artist +2 (+4 to escape rope bonds), Handle Animal +7, Hide +3, Jump +15, Knowledge (nature) +9, Listen +7, Move Silently +7, Ride +10, Spot +7, Survival +8 (+10 in aboveground natural environments), Use Rope +7
Feats: Endurance (B), Improved Initiative (B), Mounted Archery (B), Mounted Combat (B), Point Blank Shot, Track
Environment: Temperate and warm plains
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-9 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +5

This creature resembles a short, wiry human with heavy brows and jet-black hair falling in loose curls. Its skin is dark and wrinkled as if from years of exposure to the sun and wind. It possesses a vaguely rancid smell, mingled with the scent of the herd animals it tends.

Herdsman tasked genies, as their name implies, live to tend herds of animals. Their lives are completely centered around the welfare of their herds, and they are entirely willing to disobey their masters if ordered to take a herd into danger.

Although often solitary, herdsman genies gather in groups when the size of their herds requires it. All groups of herdsman genies are extremely mobile. They know when a given area has been thoroughly grazed and will move on, but have little regard for the artificial boundaries of kingdoms' borders or farmers' fences. This unwillingness to acknowledge settled authority often leads to conflict, they moderate this tendency if their master specifically admonishes them about it.

Herdsman genies tend to push out competing nongenie herdsmen and predators which might threaten their herds. If they feel threatened, they may stealthily force march their animals an entire night’s travel with no ill effect on either themselves or their animals.

Herdsman tasked genies are sociable creatures. They love to race, whether on foot or mounted, and often hold running contests. Some races are made more difficult by stampeding a herd behind the runners. Camel and horse races are also common, as well as mounted sports that can last all day, with complex rules and scoring systems. Males also enjoy wagering and haggling, while young females prefer roping, branding, shearing, and trick riding contests to mounted team sports.

Herdsman genies feed upon the blood of their charges, which is carefully drained so as not to weaken the animal and must be drunk immediately. They also drink milk and make it into various cheeses, curds, yogurts and fermented liquors.

Some groups of herdsman tasked genies adopt the religions of nearby humanoids, and are zealous in their new faith. These groups will try to convert others they meet, and they don't mind forcing the convert to make up his mind.

A typical herdsman genie stands 6 feet tall and weighs 150 to 175 pounds.

Herdsman genies speak Common, one elemental language (Aquan, Auran, Ignan, or Terran) and one alignment language (Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal).

COMBAT

Herdsman genies fight only in self-defense or in defense of their herds. They excel at mounted combat and mounted archery, preferring tactics that keep their opponents away from their herds and the slower members of their groups. If that is unsuccessful they may, in desperation, attempt to stampede the herd into their opponents.

Herd Animal Empathy (Ex): This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except it only works on domestic herd animals (camels, cattle, elephants, horses, pigs, sheep, etc.) and their wild relatives. A herdsman genie also has a +4 racial bonus on Animal Handling, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Ride, Sense Motive and Survival checks involving such herd animals.

Furthermore, herdsmen genies can drive herd animals with a Stampede special attack (such as Bison) to stampede over their enemies. This requires a DC 25 Handle Animal check.

Plane Shift (Sp): A genie can enter any of the elemental planes, the Astral Plane, or the Material Plane. This ability transports the genie and up to eight other creatures, provided they all link hands with the genie. It is otherwise similar to the spell of the same name (caster level 13th).

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—flame blade, phantom steed, remove fear, unseen servant. Caster level 9th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Tireless March (Su): Once a week, a group of at least 3 herdsmen genies can drive a herd of animals on a special forced march of up to 12 hours duration. Both the genies and the herdbeasts automatically succeed at Constitution checks to resist nonlethal damage and fatigue from this forced march.

Originally appeared in Monstrous Compendium Al-Qadim Appendix (1992).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Rekeihs

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-monster-talk/273448-special-conversion-thread-plants-11.html

Rekeihs
Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (–1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+15
Attack: Tentacle +12 melee (1d10+3)
Full Attack: 4 tentacles +12 melee (1d10+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d10+3, explosive spawning, improved grab
Special Qualities: All-around vision, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, myopic, plant traits, resistance to cold 10, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 9
Skills: Jump -9, Listen +8, Search +0, Spot +5*
Feats: Improved Disarm (B), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (tentacle)
Environment: Warm marshes and underground
Organization: Solitary or patch (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: 1/10th coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 5-6 HD (Medium); 7-12 HD (Large)

This creature has a bulbous shape with four stout legs and four tentacles evenly-spaced around its body. Above each tentacle is a single unblinking eye. A wavy growth of filaments extend from the top of its head. The eyes are dull black with green pupils.

The rekeihs (pronounced ree-KAYZ; the name is the same in singular or plural forms) is a carnivorous plant found in tropical swamps and other warm, damp areas. It preys largely upon live animals, including adventurers who wander into its territory.

A rekeihs has four powerful legs that form its major root systems; these are used to draw nourishment from slain animal victims and, when necessary, from muddy soil. The four upper tentacles of the rekeihs are secondary roots that anchor themselves in mud when the creature is stationary. Although nearsighted, a rekeihs possesses keen vibratory and auditory sensors. Rekeihs are drawn toward moving light sources and will often attack illuminated beings at night.

An adult rekeihs stands between 5 and 6 feet tall and weighs from 250 to 300 pounds. The main body of a rekeihs is a dull, mottled green; the legs and tentacles are darker, turning to purple or even blue in older specimens.

COMBAT

A rekeihs lashes out with its tentacles when prey approaches within its sensory range.

All-Around Vision (Ex): A rekeihs's many eyes gives it a +4 racial bonus on Search and Spot checks, and it can't be flanked.

Constrict (Ex): A rekeihs deals 1d10+3 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Explosive Spawning (Ex): If a rekeihs kills a creature of its own size or greater it can use the body to reproduce. The rekeihs attaches its four legs to the corpse, so the attached rekeihs can not move away from the corpse but may fight normally. The rekeihs sends rootlets throughout the body. After 1d6 minutes the rekeihs explodes, dying and causing 6d4 damage to everything within a 30-foot burst. The corpse is so mutilated by this process that it cannot be returned to life by a raise dead spell. 1d4+2 baby rekeihs (see below) emerge from the remains of the rekeihs and corpse.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a rekeihs must hit with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Myopic (Ex): A rekeihs is nearsighted, resulting in a -8 racial penalty on Spot checks made beyond 30 feet.

Skills: A rekeihs has a +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.

Baby Rekeihs
Small Plant
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-3
Attack: Tentacle +3 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 tentacles +3 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: All-around vision, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, myopic, plant traits, resistance to cold 10, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 9
Skills: Listen +5, Search +5, Spot +5* (-3 beyond 30 feet)
Feats: Improved Disarm (B), Weapon Focus (tentacle)
Challenge Rating: 1/2

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #94 (1985).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Octopus, Sea Demon

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...-second-edition-monstrous-compendiums-43.html

Octopus, Sea Demon
Huge Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 12d10+48 (114 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 10 ft., swim 40 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-2 size, +2 Dex, +10 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+28
Attack: Tentacle +18 melee (1d8+8/19-20)
Full Attack: 8 tentacles +18 melee (1d8+8/19-20) and bite +13 melee (3d6+4)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft. (30 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+8, improved grab, vortex
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., ink cloud, jet, low-light vision, spell resistance 15, water dependent
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +10, Will +7
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 11
Skills: Climb +16, Escape Artist +12, Hide +8, Listen +15, Spot +15, Swim +16
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Improved Critical (tentacle), Improved Initiative, Power Attack
Environment: Warm aquatic
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Triple standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 13-15 HD (Huge); 16-36 HD (Gargantuan)

This massive octopoid has ten tentacles, all lined with wicked barbs and suckers.

Sea demons are massive octopoids capable of hunting on land or sea. Because they are still dependent upon water, they are only found in coastal areas when on land. Sea demons generally make their lairs underwater, but on occasion will take up residence in a half-flooded coastal cave or a deep lagoon.

Sea demons hate all other creatures, especially others of their own kind. As a result, they live a fairly solitary existence. Sea demons eat whatever they can catch, preying mainly on giant marine life, such as small whales and giant fish. It may come ashore to hunt, especially if the food in the surrounding seas has been depleted. Sea demons have also been known to attack ships and dine upon their crews, especially if the vessels venture too close to their lairs.

These creatures are aggressive and territorial hunters with bodies at least 10 feet in diameter. Their tentacles are studded with barbs and sharp-edged suckers and reach 30 feet or more in length.

COMBAT

An opponent can attack a sea demon's tentacles with a sunder attempt as if they were weapons. A sea demon has 10 tentacles with 10 hit points each (Gargantuan sea demons have 12 tentacles with 20 hit points each and can make 10 tentacle attacks as part of a full attack). If a sea demon is currently grappling a target with the tentacle that is being attacked, it usually uses another limb to make its attack of opportunity against the opponent making the sunder attempt. Severing one of a sea demon's tentacles deals 5 points of damage to the creature. A sea demon usually withdraws from combat if it loses four tentacles. The creature regrows severed limbs in 1d10+10 days.

Constrict (Ex): A sea demon deals 1d8+8 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a sea demon must hit an opponent of any size with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Ink Cloud (Ex): A sea demon can emit a cloud of jet-black ink in a 60 foot spread (80 feet for a Gargantuan sea demon) once per minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment, which the sea demon normally uses to escape a losing fight. All vision within the cloud is obscured.

Jet (Ex): A sea demon can jet backward once per round as a full-round action, at a speed of 200 feet. It must move in a straight line, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity while jetting.

Vortex (Su): Once every 10 minutes, a sea demon can use its tentacles to stir the sea into a whirlpool. The sea demon must be underwater to create a vortex. It can sustain a vortex for up to 1 round for every 2 HD it has. The sea demon can move through the water or along the bottom at its swim speed while creating a vortex. The vortex is 5 feet wide at the base, up to 30 feet wide at the top, and up to 50 feet tall (60 feet for a Gargantuan sea demon). The sea demon controls the exact height, but it must be at least 10 feet.

The sea demon's movement while it uses its vortex attack does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Another creature might be caught in the vortex if it touches or enters the vortex, or if the sea demon moves into or through the creature's space.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the sea demon might take damage when caught in the vortex, and may be swept up by it. An affected creature must succeed on a DC24 Reflex save when it comes into contact with the vortex or take 2d8 bludgeoning damage. It must also succeed on a second Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful currents, automatically taking damage each round. An affected creature is allowed a Reflex save each round to escape the vortex. The creature still takes damage, but can leave if the save is successful. The save DC is Strength-based.

Creatures trapped in the vortex cannot move except to go where the sea demon carries them or to escape the whirlpool. Creatures caught in the whirlpool can otherwise act normally, but must make a Concentration check (DC 10 + spell level) to cast a spell. Creatures caught in the vortex take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and a -2 penalty on attack rolls. The sea demon can have only as many creatures trapped inside the vortex at one time as will fit inside the vortex's volume.

The sea demon can eject any carried creatures whenever it wishes, depositing them wherever the vortex happens to be.

If the vortex's base touches the bottom, it creates a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud is centered on the sea demon and has a diameter equal to half the vortex's height. The cloud obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. Creatures 5 feet away have concealment, while those farther away have total concealment.

Those caught in the cloud must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell.

A sea demon cannot use any other attack while it is creating a vortex and does not threaten the area around it.

Water Dependent (Ex): Sea demons can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules).

Skills: A sea demon can change colors, giving it a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. A sea demon also can squeeze and contort its body, giving it a +10 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks. A sea demon has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. A sea demon also has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks, and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Originally appeared in Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four (1998).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Octopus, Giant, Blue Ring

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...-converting-forgotten-realms-monsters-46.html

Octopus, Giant, Blue Ring
Medium Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 3d10+3 (19 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 30 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Tentacle +4 melee (1d2+2 plus poison)
Full Attack: 6 tentacles +4 melee (1d2+2 plus poison) and bite -1 melee (1d4+1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d6+1, improved grab, poison
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., ink cloud, jet, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 13
Skills: Climb +9, Escape Artist +13, Hide +12, Listen +8, Move Silently +9, Spot +9, Swim +9
Feats: Alertness, Stealthy
Environment: Underground aquatic
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: By character class

The body of this octopus is covered with hundreds of blue circles. It has large golden eyes, a greenish-brown beak, and its skin color wavers from dark grayish-brown to dirty white.

Blue-ring octopi are nomadic, shy creatures that live in the cracks and crevices of Underdark’s oceans, constantly struggling to escape the notice of the more powerful aquatic races. They live everywhere from the shallows to the deepest trenches; they have found underwater connections to the oceans of the surface world and have sometimes been found living in the colder waters of the surface world, where they are allies of the tool-using tako and the locathah.

When captured by aboleth or kuo-toa, blue-ringed octopi are well-treated and bred for use as a servitor race. However, their brethren always somehow learn of this captivity and seek to free their comrades. This has led to some wild speculation that the blue-rings are telepathic or mages of some kind, though no evidence has ever confirmed this.

Although nearly all are good beings, legends tell of a rogue group of "black ring octopi", led by the secretive Master of The Black Circle.

A giant blue ring octopus is 4 to 6 feet long. The tentacles of a typical specimen are 4 to 10 feet in length.

COMBAT

Though they almost always strive to avoid combat, when forced to stand and fight they are remarkably skilled fighters. Initially, most blue-rings depend on evasive tactics, releasing their poisonous, milky-white ink before jetting away to protective cover. If escape is thwarted, blue-rings hold nothing back, attacking with envenomed tentacles and beak.

An opponent can attack a giant blue ring octopus’s tentacles with a sunder attempt as if they were weapons. A giant blue ring octopus’s tentacles have 10 hit points each. If a giant octopus is currently grappling a target with the tentacle that is being attacked, it usually uses another limb to make its attack of opportunity against the opponent making the sunder attempt. Severing one of a giant blue ring octopus’s tentacles deals 5 points of damage to the creature. A giant blue ring octopus usually withdraws from combat if it loses four tentacles. The creature regrows severed limbs in 1d10+10 days.

Constrict (Ex): A giant blue ring octopus deals 1d6+1 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a giant blue ring octopus must hit an opponent of any size with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Ink Cloud (Ex): A giant blue ring octopus can emit a cloud of jet-black ink in a 60 foot spread once per minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment, which the giant blue ring octopus normally uses to escape a losing fight. All vision within the cloud is obscured.

Jet (Ex): A giant blue ring octopus can jet backward once per round as a full-round action, at a speed of 200 feet. It must move in a straight line, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity while jetting.

Poison (Ex): A blue-ringed octopus's poison affects any opponent it hits with a tentacle or its ink cloud.

Blue-Ring Octopus Venom: Inhaled or injury, Fortitude DC 12, initial damage 1d2 Con plus 1d4 rounds blindness, secondary damage 1d2 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Skills: A blue-ringed giant octopus can change colors, giving it a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks. A giant blue ring octopus also can squeeze and contort its body, giving it a +10 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks. A giant blue ring octopus has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. A blue-ringed giant octopus also has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks, and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Red Shamans
A few octopi from every spawning have rings of ox-blood red. These "red shamans" are sheltered and jealously guarded because of their innate spellcasting ability. The chromatophores of red shamans are incredibly weak, preventing them from camouflaging themselves. As a result, they often spend their entire lives deep within narrow cleft of rock, where other members of their tribe bring them food and seek their help and advice.

Octopus, Giant, Red Shaman
Large Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 8d10+16 (60 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 30 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+15
Attack: Tentacle +10 melee (1d3+3 plus poison)
Full Attack: 6 tentacles +10 melee (1d3+3 plus poison) and bite +5 melee (1d6+1 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (20 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+4, improved grab, poison, spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., ink cloud, jet, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +5
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 15
Skills: Climb +11, Escape Artist +12, Hide +3, Listen +7, Heal +10, Knowledge (nature) +8, Knowledge (religion) +8, Spot +7, Swim +11
Feats: Craft Wand, Eschew Materials, Negotiator
Challenge Rating: 9
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: By character class

Poison (Ex): A red shaman's poison affects any opponent it hits with a tentacle or its ink cloud.

Blue-Ring Octopus Venom: Inhaled or injury, Fortitude DC 16, initial damage 1d4 Con plus 1d4 rounds blindness, secondary damage 1d4 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spells: Red shamans can cast divine spells as 8th-level clerics. A red shaman has access to two of the following domains: Community, Liberation, or Weather. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.

Typical Cleric Spells Prepared (6/5+1/4+1/3+1/2+1; save DC 12 + spell level):
0—detect magic, guidance, light, read magic, resistance, virtue;
1st—bless water, divine favor, entropic shield, obscuring mist, remove fear*, sanctuary;
2nd—aid, fog cloud*, owl's wisdom, resist energy, silence;
3rd—call lightning*, dispel magic, prayer, wind wall;
4th—control water, divine power, freedom of movement*;
*Domain spell. Domains: Liberation and Weather.

Skills: A red shaman can squeeze and contort its body, giving it a +10 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks. A red shaman has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. A red shaman also has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks, and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #227 (1996).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Squid, Vampire

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-monster-talk/258154-converting-monsters-dragon-magazine-61.html

Squid, Vampire
Large Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 7d10+14 (52 hp)
Speed: Swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17
Attack: Tentacle +12 melee (1d4+6)
Full Attack: 6 tentacles +12 melee (1d4+6) and bite +7 melee (2d8+9/18-20×3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, ball of fangs, constrict 1d4+6, improved grab, ramming
Special Qualities: Darkvision 120 ft., jet, murkvision, superior low-light vision
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 11
Skills: Hide +8, Move Silently +12, Spot +7, Swim +14
Feats: Blind-Fight, Power Attack, Stealthy
Challenge Rating: 5
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Advancement: 8-11 HD (Large); 12-21 HD (Huge)

This pale white squid has lambent blue-green eyes and a maw full of spiky, needle-sharp teeth.

Creations and servitors of the illithids, the vampire squid are tools of the mind flayers, meant to extend their masters’ reach into the waters of the sunless seas below the earth.

Vampire squid are entirely devoted to their creators, the illithids, and obey their every command without hesitation. However, they are not innately evil, and if they can be lured away from their masters they are honorable, trustworthy creatures. Those few vampire squid that have been captured by other races often serve as transportation, able to pull great rafts or war-barges through the water; however, these captured vampire squid never reproduce; it is believed that they cannot bear young without magical or psionic assistance from the illithids, and that this accounts for their loyalty to the mind flayers.

Vampire squid eat hundreds of pounds of fish, insects, and mollusks; they are almost always solitary for this reason as two such predators sharing the same space quickly destroy the local fish stocks. They gather together only to mate or to serve their masters, who provide them with land-based foodstuffs.

A vampire squid's body is 10 feet long with 20-foot tentacles.

Vampire squids understand Undercommon.

COMBAT

When it sights its prey, the vampire squid prefers to attack by surprise, gathering speed as it approaches on a collision course. It can turn its maw inside out, putting spiky teeth on the outside, thus transforming into a mass of sword-sized spikes, much like an underwater hedgehog.

An opponent can attack a vampire squid’s tentacles with a sunder attempt as if they were weapons. A vampire squid’s tentacles have 10 hit points each. If a vampire squid is currently grappling a target with the tentacle that is being attacked, it usually uses another limb to make its attack of opportunity against the opponent making the sunder attempt. Severing one of a vampire squid’s tentacles deals 5 points of damage to the creature. A vampire squid usually withdraws from combat if it loses five tentacles. The creature regrows severed limbs in 1d10+10 days.

Augmented Critical (Ex): A vampire squid's bite threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18–20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Ball of Fangs (Ex): A vampire squid can invert its toothy maw as a defensive measure, surrounding its body with its sword-long teeth. Inverting its maw takes a swift action, as does reverting back to its normal configuration. An inverted vampire squid can not use its bite attack, charge, Run or use its jet special ability.

Any creature striking an inverted vampire squid with a handheld or natural weapon takes 1d8+2 points of piercing and slashing damage (halved on a successful DC 15 Reflex save); except for opponents wielding handheld weapons with exceptional reach, such as longspears, who can attack the squid without taking damage from the exposed teeth. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Constrict (Ex): A vampire squid deals 1d4+6 points of damage with a successful grapple check.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a vampire squid must hit an opponent of any size with a tentacle attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict. *A vampire squid has a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks.

Jet (Ex): A vampire squid can jet backward once per round as a full-round action, at a speed of 120 feet. It must move in a straight line, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity while jetting.

Murkvision (Ex): A vampire squid's vision is not limited in dark or murky water. It treats all water as clear water for purposes of determining vision.

Ramming (Ex): As a standard action, a vampire squid can swim at up to quadruple speed (120 feet) and ram a waterborne target (such as a ship or another creature). To ram, the vampire squid must end its movement in the target's space. This attack deals 2d12+9 points of damage. If the target is a creature, it can attempt either an attack of opportunity or a DC 19 Reflex save for half damage. The save DC is Strength-based.

Upon ramming a ship, the vampire squid can make a Strength check to breach its hull, which causes the ship to sink in 1d10 minutes. The break DC varies with the type of vessel rammed, as follows: rowboat DC 20, keelboat DC 23, sailing ship or longship DC 25, warship DC 27, or galley DC 30. (See Chapter 5 of the DMG for information about ships). Regardless of the check result, every creature aboard must attempt a DC 15 Reflex saving throw. Success means the creature takes 1d6 points of damage from being thrown about by the impact; failure means the creature is hurled overboard.

Superior Low-Light Vision (Ex): A vampire squid can see five times as far as a human can in dim light.

Skills: A vampire squid has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #227 (1996).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Owlbear, Winged

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-monster-talk/82565-send-clowns-converting-oddballs-32.html

Owlbear, Winged
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 5d10+25 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 50 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d8+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d8+5) and bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, superior low-light vision
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +12, Move Silently +3*, Spot +8
Feats: Flyby Attack, Wingover
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3–8)
Challenge Rating: 5
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 6–8 HD (Large); 9–15 HD (Huge)

This creature blends the features of a brown bear and a giant owl. Its thick, shaggy coat of feathers and fur is brown-black, while its claws and hooked beak are dull ivory. Its large round eyes are gleaming yellow.

Winged owlbears are rumored to have first arisen as the result of magical crossbreeding between giant owls and brown bears. As a result, they are more intelligent than their landbound kin, and possess some of the superior senses of their giant owl progenitors.

Although they can be found nearly anywhere, winged owlbears prefer wooded forests or mountainous terrain. Their flying capabilities allow them to claim large areas as their territory--usually ten to twenty square miles.

A full-grown male can stand as tall as 8 feet and weigh up to 1,500 pounds. A winged owlbear's lifespan is around 25 years.

COMBAT

Every bit as ferocious as their more common cousins, winged owlbears also possess the silent flight of a giant owl, making them especially deadly hunters. Once prey is approached, they slash with claws and beak, trying to grab their prey and rip it apart. Occasionally winged owlbears grab prey and drop it from great heights to soften it up.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a winged owlbear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Superior Low-Light Vision (Ex): A winged owlbear can see five times as far as a human can in dim light.

Skills: Winged owlbears have a +8 racial bonus on Listen checks and a +4 racial bonus on Spot checks. *When in flight, winged owlbears gain a +8 bonus on Move Silently checks.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #214 (1995).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Clownfish, Giant

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...-converting-real-world-animals-vermin-29.html

Clownfish, Giant
Small Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Speed: Swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-5
Attack: Unarmed strike +1 melee (1d2-1)
Full Attack: Unarmed strike +1 melee (1d2-1)
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Immunity to paralysis and poison, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Intimidate +1, Listen +3, Spot +4, Swim +9
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Temperate and warm aquatic
Organization: Solitary or school (2-12)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —

This bright orange fish is vertically striped with wide bands of white. Each white band is bordered on both sides with a narrow black band, and the tail and fins are each black at the tips.

Larger versions of the tiny tropical clownfish, or clown anemonefish, giant clownfish make their homes in shallow, tropical waters. Giant clownfish are often called “bogeyfish” or “bogeys”.

In the wild, giant clownfish are most often encountered within the vicinity of a giant sea anemone. Clownfish exude a slimy coating that protects them from the anemone’s paralytic stings, so they are safe from most creatures while nestled within the anemone’s tentacles. In addition, the giant sea anemone serves as a food source for the clownfish, who often eat the tiny sea creatures that occasionally are caught in the anemone's tentacles. They also eat algae that forms on sea coral.

Clownfish are frequently preyed upon by sharks, rays, and large fish as well as ixitxachitl, sahuagin, and crabmen. Many giant clownfish are raised by sea sprites, who like them for their vivid coloration and often use the clownfish as riding mounts. The clownfish do not mind such servitude, as they are then protected not only by the sea sprites but also by the barracudas that many sea sprites use as guards and pets.

The female lays hundreds of reddish-orange eggs at a time, usually along the sea floor next to a giant sea anemone. The male, smaller than the female, follows in his mate's wake and fertilizes the eggs immediately after they’re laid. It is the male’s job to guard the eggs during the two weeks or so that it takes for them to hatch. If egg-eating fish or small marine creatures move too close to a clownfish’s nest, it can scare off the intruders by making loud clicking sounds. Newly-hatched clownfish are translucent and immediately go off on their own to feed. They gradually take on the standard coloration and find homes for themselves among giant sea anemones.

A giant clownfish averages 3 feet in length and weighs about 30 pounds.

COMBAT

Giant clownfish are essentially harmless to man-sized creatures, as they have no teeth and can swallow only creatures smaller than their own mouths. In extreme situations they can ”head butt” creatures that get too close, more to suggest the creature leave the vicinity than causing actual harm.

Skills: A giant clownfish has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Swim checks.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #250 (1998).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Arcadian Pony

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-monster-talk/248731-converting-planescape-monsters-22.html

Arcadian Pony
Medium Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (26 hp)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+7
Attack: Tentacle +7 melee (1d2+3)
Full Attack: Tentacle +7 melee (1d2+3) and 2 hooves +2 melee (1d3+1) and bite +2 melee (1d3+1)
Special Attacks: Disarm, trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 11, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +3
Feats: Endurance, Run
Environment: Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia
Organization: Domesticated or herd (6–30)
Challenge Rating: 2
Alignment: Always neutral, often lawful
Advancement: 5-6 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +1 (cohort)

This strong, thick-bodied pony has green hide. Its ears resemble those of a rabbit, and a long tentacle grows from its breastbone.

Arcadian ponies hail from the harmonious, perfectly ordered plains of Arcadia. They are often imported to Sigil, where they are used to pull carts. Because an arcandian pony's tentacle is capable of fine manipulation, the beasts often carry a torch to light their way through darkened streets.

Although arcadian ponies will pull carts for benevolent masters, they will never carry riders.

A typical arcadian pony stands under 5 feet high at the shoulder and weighs 600 to 800 pounds.

COMBAT

Arcadian ponies are not afraid of combat but would rather flee than fight. They will try to trip or disarm opponents using their prehensile tentacle, then attack the disadvantaged foe with hooves and teeth

Disarm (Ex): An arcadian pony that hits with its tentacle attack can attempt to disarm the opponent (+9 check modifier, including a +2 racial bonus) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to disarm the pony.

Trip (Ex): An arcadian pony that hits with its tentacle attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+3 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the pony.

Training an Arcadian Pony
Although intelligent, an arcadian pony requires training before it will perform dangerous tasks on command. To be trained, an arcadian pony must have a friendly attitude toward the trainer (this can be achieved through a successful Diplomacy check). Training a friendly arcadian pony in fighting, guarding or hunting (see the Handle Animal skill for details) requires a DC 25 Handle Animal check. They can be trained in non-hazardous labor (such as fetching and carrying, drawing carts by themselves, and carrying torches) with a DC 20 Handle Animal check, but can never be trained in combat riding or riding.

Arcadian pony colts are worth 1,000 gp each on the open market, while adults are worth 1,500 gp per head. Arcadian ponies mature at the same rate as horses. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train an arcadian pony, which serves a good or neutral master with absolute faithfulness for life.

Originally appeared in In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil (1995).

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sprite, Gremlin

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...l-conversion-thread-finishing-off-fey-44.html

Sprite, Gremlin
Tiny Fey (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 1d6 (3 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-6
Attack: Hammer +4 melee (1d2+2) or hammer +5 ranged (1d2+2)
Full Attack: Hammer +4 melee (1d2+2) or hammer +5 ranged (1d2+2)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, spell resistance 5
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +5, Climb +7, Concentration +2, Disable Device +10, Escape Artist +5, Hide +15, Listen +6, Move Silently +9, Open Lock +9, Search +4, Spot +6
Feats: Nimble Fingers
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, squad (5-10 plus one sawj of 3rd to 5th level), platoon (20-40 plus 1 looey of 2nd to 3rd level and 4 sawjes of 3rd to 5th level), company (41-200 plus 2 to 10 looeys of 2nd to 3rd level and 8 to 20 sawjes of 3rd to 5th level and 1 cap'em of 4th to 7th level)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic, often neutral
Advancement: By character class (sorcerer)
Level Adjustment: +4

This tiny creature resembles a bipedal jackrabbit crossed with a bull terrier. It is garbed in green breeches and a red jacket, and wears spats and a top hat.

Gremlins are mischevious sprites that embody the spirit of Murphy's Law: "anything that can go wrong, will".

Gremlins are an enigma. Although most display chaotic behavior, their society is strictly arranged into military hierarchies and formations.

Gremlins find simple pranks to be the best. Some favorites are: tripping people at the top of a darkened stairwell; blowing out a party’s torches just before an encounter with a monster; giving false or inaccurate information by pretending to be the voice of a “magic” mirror or some other object; removing arrowheads from their shafts; and drinking up all the lantern oil a party may be carrying.

Gremlins are not dependent on spells to carry out their disruptive duties. Since they are able to draw on generations of mechanical and technological knowledge gleaned from gremlin and human experiments, gremlins view magic as simply a supplement, an additional aid to be used only when a task really requires it.

A gremlin stands 1-1/2 feet tall and weighs up to 17 pounds.

Gremlins speak Sylvan. Some also speak Common.

COMBAT

Gremlins avoid direct confrontations, preferring to hide from opponents and torment them with their trickery. When they do fight they rely on ambushes and their magical abilities, only resorting to their pint-sized weaponry if they're cornered.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—feather fall, invisibility (self only). Caster level 8th.

Spells: A gremlin casts spells as a 1st-level sorcerer, and can also cast cleric spells and those from the Artifice, Chaos, and Trickery domains as arcane spells.

Typical Sorcerer Spells Known (6/4):
0—dancing lights, mage hand, open/close, prestidigitation;
1st—animate rope, grease.

Skills: Gremlins have a +2 racial bonus on Climb, Disable Device, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot checks. Gremlins use either their Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher.

Gremlin Society
Young gremlins, or widgets, live with their parents until they become young males, known as grunts (young females are called "fifinellas"). They are then inducted into the Gremlin Forces and assigned to whatever division suits them: land, sea, or air.

Land gremlins live in underground burrows. The entrances are concealed or camouflaged to look like the entrance to a giant rat warren or some wild animal’s burrow. Marine gremlins (see below) have adapted to undersea life and live in grottos and undersea caverns. Spandules are gremlins which live entirely in the upper reaches of the sky. Spandules either ride on the backs of large flying creatures such as rocs, or live on high mountain peaks.

Starting at the bottom of the heap, the gremlin works his way up through the ranks until he either perishes in the line of duty or retires. Retired gremlins usually take the rank of Warrant Officer and become specialists.

The ultimate authority among gremlinkind is the Chief, who presides over a council of 10 of the highest-ranking gremlins. The Chief is chosen by the council members from among themselves and rules for a term of somewhere around four years; the council promotes a lower-ranking officer from among the brass to take the seat vacated by the newly-elected Chief. Re-election is possible. Chiefs who are not re-elected retire and become Inspector-Generals.

Gremlins as Characters
A gremlin character exchanges its 1 HD of fey for its first class level, so a 1st-level gremlin sorcerer has a d4 Hit Die, a +0 base attack bonus, the base save bonuses of a sorcerer, and the sorcerer's skill points and class skills.

Gremlin characters possess the following racial traits.
  • +4 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +4 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.
  • Tiny size. +2 bonus to Armor Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide checks, –8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
  • A gremlin's base land speed is 20 feet.
  • Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision.
  • Skills: Gremlins have a +2 racial bonus on Climb, Disable Device, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot checks. Gremlins use either their Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher.
  • Special Attacks (see above): Spell-like abilities, spells.
  • Special Qualities (see above): Spell resistance equal to 5 + class levels.
  • Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
  • Favored Class: Sorcerer.
  • Level adjustment +4.
Marine Gremlins
Marine gremlins have webbed feet with fins on the backs of their heels. They have a set of secondary gills which enable them to breathe underwater and live in grottos and undersea caverns. Marine gremlins have the Aquatic subtype, a swim speed of 20 ft. and the amphibious special quality.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #79 (1983).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads