Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Right now it's the #35 biggest ever Kickstarter after less than a day.

The biggest kickstarter ever was Pebble Time, apparently. $20M. Followed by Coolest Cooler at $13M. Kingdom Death is #4, and looks like a tabletop game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded

I reckon Critical Role has a strong chance of getting into the top 3.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I didn't make it through season 1, but have managed to keep up with season 2 so far. I have commented previously about how I run into a ton of people under 30 who cite CR as their intro to D&D. When I talk to fellow grognards, most of them have minimized the influence of CR. Just came to say, "Told ya so!" to those doubters lol

Seriously though, great for them! While I sort of straddle the fence (I enjoy the show but find watching people play D&D a little weird) they are a great bunch of people and I have the utmost respect for Matt Mercer's DMing abilities. They are excellent representatives of our hobby. I will definitely throw $20 into this.

Nebulous

Legend
CR is not something I am interested in watching either, but I wish them success and I might throw some $$ into it as well.

Sure session 2 has 3,833,400 views on the first video however, The back rewards have limits at the higher levels and their is a cap of the number of critters with money to spare. The 1K, 2.5K, 5K, and 10K rewards are gone so I suspect your going to see a massive drop of going forward. They might sell out of the 20K and 25K 5of5 rewards for 225K, but they are going to be limited to only $750, $500, $400, $300, $200, $100, $50, and $20 rewards. As those buy out I think your going to see the average backing value drop dramatically. If they break 6 million I would very surprised but considering that is with a $ 750,000 goal that's nothing to laugh at. They are breaking records all around but they are still way more niche than star citizen with its $200 million in crowd funding from about $1 million backers. They second key here is that backers for star citizens hand basically have unlimited backer prize potential since they create one digital ship and they can let everyone down load it. I am not sure then can actually support the physical prizes with more than 6 million. That said 5 million in raised funs seems like a forgone conclusion at this point assuming they don't dry out of rewards and people don't donate just to say they donated to this record.
Well... 4 million now. 2 million in the next 44 days seems very doable. And the big shows (Talks Machina and the actual CR show) haven't aired this week, and there'll be a surge after those. And as you say, viewership of the first episode is 3,833,400 views, while the most recent episode that just dropped to YouTube a couple days ago is at 144,345 views. But the Kickstarter currently only has 30,000 backers. Less than 10% of the total viewership and a quarter of the people willing to watch the video on YouTube the day it drops. Backership of the KS could easily double or triple. While doubling the backers wouldn't double the money, it will shatter 6 million.

Okay... 1 million in an hour. The next million came two hours later. The third million five hours later. Forth million roughly 12 hours later, or 20 hours into the campaign. At the current rate of doubling, they'll hit 5 million tomorrow morning and 6 million early Saturday. That would be in the ballpark of 9.5 million by April 19th when the project closes. Assuming there's no surge of additional backers following Talks Machina (Tonight) or the Critical Role live stream (Thursday). I'm personally guessing those will each give a small boost, so the project will end at around 10.5 to 11 million.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases