Crunchy Games

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I crunched a lot of numbers for my Solis People of the Sun for Cepheus Engine, though most of it was me taking stellar data, and turning it into a playable universe, a lot of that was not inherent in the rules, I used datasets from simbad, with AstroSynthesis and such. That sort of front loaded number crunching I don't mind as much, some of it, like making the star maps was even therapeutic in a way. However, in play, I am less interested in number crunching, as the returns vs inputs is less. More time putting numbers in, makes everything go slower, which interrupts the flow.

3.5E would definitely be my favorite crunch.

I felt like Pathfinder (1e) had potential, but by the time I really started exploring it seemed like too much of a moving target.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
What's your favorite crunchy game? What kind of crunch do you like? Is it okay for a game to be crunchy in one area and not in others? Preferable? If you don't like crunchy Games, why not?
I think it boils down to this:

In crunchy games, the GM usually tells me, "you can't do that."

In light games, the GM usually tells me, "you try it, and this happens."

The latter is much more fun for me.

These threads are cool because every answer is correct!!!

Like most things " I like Crunchy games I like, and dont like crunchy games I don't like!".

I really like MERP/RM and DQ. I can run them with decent pace and flair while still using much of their crunch. Even at high level They work for me as there isn't many opposed rolls especially in combat, ( a mechanic I loathe).

Not a fan of BRP / WHFRP though the latter is saved by the fact I like the setting and have been playing it's various incarnations with GW folks since 1986 ( perhaps even bits playtest)

Rogerd1

Adventurer
I think Champions, Gurps both deserve a mention, with PF1e which has a rule for everything (just why?)

As to favourite, M&M 2e to make continuation of a DnD5e character possible, and 3e for anything else.

dbm

Savage!
In crunchy games, the GM usually tells me, "you can't do that."
That really does not describe any game of RoleMaster or GURPS that I have played. While being very crunchy they are also very permissive.

In fact, one of the reasons I like a well-designed crunchy game is that it gives the GM good tools to work out what happens when the character attempts something left-field. That is why I like games that have crunch in more areas than just the combat system, and the best systems support you zooming in or out on the details for any particular activity so you can give it spotlight time or keep the games moving forward as needed.

Last edited:

kronovan

Adventurer
Mythras (aka Runequest 6 with serial numbers filed off) is my TTRPG that I'd describe as crunchy. I particularly like the Special Effects for combat encounters and its Combat Styles for PCs. I also like how it handles skills with provisions for augmenting and capping them. I find the PC build process, with Cultures and Professions as bundles of skill choices you get at a base level, with a pool of points to raise them, lets you have a PC that's skilled the way you want. It's dynamic background events and passions that build upon that, allow you to arrive at a unique and interesting PC.

Like JAMUMU, I typically don't run with all options enabled, or at least opt for the simpler options.

Remove ads