• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cry me a river 3.5E

rangerjohn

Explorer
Simalacrum in my case I do have to be able to take on anything, I'm one of two players in the party. But even if I wasn't how many people have supplementry warriors? Some do, I realize but just what is the average size playing group? Apparently W.O.T.C thinks its four. If you've got more than one warrior your short somewhere else. Maybe its my DM but he likes to be able to through anything at the party. I could even see him throughing that pitfiend at the party even though my ranger/rouge is currently 10th level. Guess what even if I was 16th level I wouldn't be able to hit ac 40 consistantly with my primary attack. I actually consider my character more of muckin than I would like, I have to be with this DM.

Tewligan

First Post
rangerjohn said:
In reply to Simalacrum hmm a pitfiend, I'm a halfing with a shortsword+5 flaming burst made of mithril, I have a natural 16 str and belt of giant strength, I'm screwed if I get through it DR it will regenerate it. That's the game I came to play.
Of course, they ARE pit fiends - they're professional badasses. To my thinking, they're just a small step below demon princes, and should require some serious foresight and planning. If a party of two 10th level PC's is running into one of these guys, either 3e or 3.5 version, with no warning, there's something seriously wrong.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Well back when we had 3 players for a short time he sent us against a mature red dragon AND an army, including blackguard officers. We basically had to attack a city-state with the red dragon as its queen. The only reason the two players still playing survived is, he had previously twinked our characters, to the point of actually giving one an epic weapon (+8 int bastard sword) but even with that we couldn't defeat the pit fiend. B.A.B. 7 +8 enchantment +7 str. Means need a 16 to hit for 1-10 +18-15 for primary attack. Oh if its not apparent he does experience and treasure ad-hock. Another thing because I asked for a prestiege class I haven't leveled in 4 levels time. This based on the other character. I don't know if I will, have to finish this quest before I can train. You know kill a few dragons and for you pro DR people out there an arch-lich and dragon that has an artifact that can only be negated by the rings also made by the creater. This is the real quest killing the arch-lich and dragon. The other foes simply guard rings. Oh a "neat" random encounter for one of these, a space kraken all the abilities of a normal kraken plus causes radiation sickness in about a 20 mile radius.

Kesh

First Post
Apok said:

Y'know, I wonder if the players of the various White Wolf games (esp. Vampire & Werewolf) went through these "growing pains" as well. I'd love to hear what they have to say on the subject of Revised editions v. the originals.

Find some threads about the changes made to Mage: the Ascension (Revised). Made some of the 2e/3e arguments look tame. :D

bondetamp

First Post
Kesh said:
Find some threads about the changes made to Mage: the Ascension (Revised). Made some of the 2e/3e arguments look tame. :D

That's the most extreme example, though. Mage revised is a pretty different game from Mage 2nd Ed with deep differences in setting as well as rules. In addition, the developer wasn't exactly the most diplomatic person in the world ...

Shalewind

First Post
The question is, round 3 of how many? Maybe Morrus should start a betting pool.

Yo! That would be sweet! I'm in. Assuming 3 have popped up already... Hmmm... Five months give er take a few weeks left... I'd say 15 to 20 total threads on DR alone. ;)

Find some threads about the changes made to Mage: the Ascension (Revised). Made some of the 2e/3e arguments look tame.

Leave those poor souls alone! Haven't they suffered enough for their sins. :eek:

sunbeam60

First Post
Simulacrum said:

C) I hated the way magic weapons dominated the game. It ROCKS to know that this is all over now.

Why will it be over? I just ran over the 3.5e info page again and didn't find any intelligence leading me to conclude that magic weapons would become less dominating.

Here's to hoping this won't hijack the thread.

regards
Toft

Simulacrum

First Post
Hehe, dont get me wrong here, but some of you guys are very dorky. You shoudl listen to yourselves, you are obviously all from the same pitty party mantra, "Thou who use the new rules are doomed, for ETERNITY (yes for ever and ever over and out ), thou shalt suffer from not sticking to the old and ONLY TRUE game ov 3E.
-
Yeah all the fun is gone...for EVER, and its never coming back again...NEVER. Thats it folks you heard it!

--->whine, sob, bitch, whatever......

[irony/ON] [irony/OFF]

Last edited:

muhcashin

Explorer
Yup

I agree.

What's the big deal? I mean all WotC is doing is improve a game we already love, am I right. Those who don't want to spend the money to get a new DMG or PHB or MM, just use the SRD.

The only gripe I have is the who battlemat thing. But then again, the original 3rd edition more than just propose to use battlemat. The whole attack of opportunity thing assumes that we're using minis. I've tried to play with AoOs without minis and, trust me, it's near impossible to do so without getting in some sort of argument. WotC "officially assumes" that all players use mats. Well, their assumption is well founded.

I think the changes will make the game better. Bards and rangers will be fun to play. Players might just grapple, disarm or trip their opponents rather than just whack them with a sword or burn them with a fireball.

Remove ads