• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cry me a river 3.5E

Mercule

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cry me a river 3.5E

Simulacrum said:
Nope silvering is not a cantrip, bless is not *holy*
bless is bless. (its divine but doesnt substitute the *holy* ability)
And steel doesnt pass as cold wrought iron...not even as iron alone....its steel.

The whole change in DR sounds like the house rule I've used since 1990 or so. Works quite nicely, actually. People really don't just advance linearly.

Of course, my players about freaked when I explained what cold-wrought meant. Something about that being harder to find than silver because no one in their right mind would do that, even for an ornimental weapon. It has to be made custom.

Simulacrum

First Post
I see what you are meaning but the answer lies within you own words. It's a way of looking at something, players will *know* that they just cant defeat every monster that easily, and its also very unlikely that a DM will allow such blatant metagaming and allow people to actually carry five swords of different types with them just in case (It cant be accomplished alone out of the fact you wont have enough money cap to justify buying / creating those weapons) Also its better for the game since +1 means effectively a level as fighter for free (in terms of attacking) and it hightens the damage potential quickly.
Now people will try to do damage at all as to just look at how much they can do. But this isnt the answer to you question right?
To get back on topic I tell you this: It's all about the DM's possibilites to challenge his players with. As you can challenge them with a beasty in many intricate ways now. Even a weaker onew with an exotic DR becomes quite a challenge and puts the spice back where it belongs *IN-GAME*...right?

Mercule

Adventurer
rangerjohn said:
In reply to Simalacrum hmm a pitfiend, I'm a halfing with a shortsword+5 flaming burst made of mithril, I have a natural 16 str and belt of giant strength, I'm screwed if I get through it DR it will regenerate it. That's the game I came to play.

Depends on how your look at it. I took a page from RoleMaster, where they called Mithril "Truesilver". IMC, Mithril works on anything that would normally require silver to beat DR (like a werewolf).

Simulacrum

First Post
rangerjohn said:
In reply to Simalacrum hmm a pitfiend, I'm a halfing with a shortsword+5 flaming burst made of mithril, I have a natural 16 str and belt of giant strength, I'm screwed if I get through it DR it will regenerate it. That's the game I came to play.

Oh boy if thats all your worry about.....ever considered to tell you DM you have no chance beating such a monster thus making him think of something else...maybe?
(It's not like everyone just builds his character to beat up the pitfiend one day barehanded...or do you?)
Or trusting in the intelligence of your DM to make your little warrior get his little midget hands on a silvered holy weapon somehow?
Geez is that so hard to understand?
The game is not meant that every character can solve any problem that he might ever encounter...thats why there are different classes with different skills and abilities.
My 20th level fighter has no chance to win a Diplomacy check EVER does it make him useless?

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Simulacrum said:
I see what you are meaning but the answer lies within you own words. It's a way of looking at something, players will *know* that they just cant defeat every monster that easily, and its also very unlikely that a DM will allow such blatant metagaming and allow people to actually carry five swords of different types with them just in case (It cant be accomplished alone out of the fact you wont have enough money cap to justify buying / creating those weapons) Also its better for the game since +1 means effectively a level as fighter for free (in terms of attacking) and it hightens the damage potential quickly.
Now people will try to do damage at all as to just look at how much they can do. But this isnt the answer to you question right?
To get back on topic I tell you this: It's all about the DM's possibilites to challenge his players with. As you can challenge them with a beasty in many intricate ways now. Even a weaker onew with an exotic DR becomes quite a challenge and puts the spice back where it belongs *IN-GAME*...right?

"its also very unlikely that a DM will allow such blatant metagaming and allow people to actually carry five swords of "

Ah so DMs force their palyers to act like copleate morons. Do you tell your players they can't pick up torches before going into the cave because that is metagaming. :rolleyes:

In a world where monsters are only hurtn by X,Y, and Z. And your a monster killer you'd have to be the dumbest monster hunter in creation not to have X,Y, and Z in your arsenal. It isnt' metagaming not to be an idiot. I'd say it is even more metagaming to say, we don't need Y and Z the DM wont screw us like that.

"It's all about the DM's possibilites to challenge his players with. As you can challenge them with a beasty in many intricate ways now. Even a weaker onew with an exotic DR becomes quite a challenge and puts the spice back where it belongs *IN-GAME*...right?"

I don't need a poorly thought out DR mechanic to challenge my players. Some where in my feeble DMing skill training I figured out how to do little things like that.

Simulacrum

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

Ah so DMs force their palyers to act like copleate morons. Do you tell your players they can't pick up torches before going into the cave because that is metagaming. :rolleyes:

In a world where monsters are only hurtn by X,Y, and Z. And your a monster killer you'd have to be the dumbest monster hunter in creation not to have X,Y, and Z in your arsenal. It isnt' metagaming not to be an idiot. I'd say it is even more metagaming to say, we don't need Y and Z the DM wont screw us like that.

"

I don't need a poorly thought out DR mechanic to challenge my players. Some where in my feeble DMing skill training I figured out how to do little things like that.

I didnt say that a monster hunter could not have 20 swords for each case one. But a) he needs to have the proper level to justify the magic item worth. b) cant carry all of them at once.
-
Also my suggestion went more into the direction that the game should not circle around how to be prepared against anything that might ever happen to you. And absolutely not around something like being a *I can beat them all* character.

And as an DM it's your job to make sure Players dont get the feeling they have to be like that. (that has nothing to do to expect them to be complete morons, au contraire I always suggest that player should have the right to do something about a situation. But not in a way were they get so frustrated by the gameplay that they start doing the golfbag thing. But thats the DM's fault then.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Welcome to the "Should they have changed DR?" thread......round 3.

Perhaps you could change th' thread's title?

Surefoot

First Post
Be that as it may, i think it's still a step upwards if characters have to carry around multiple swords to be 'properly prepared' instead of a sword +[one size fits all].

And even if they don't have the right sword, it's not automatic death for the party! (as in combatting the iron golem with +2 swords)

wheeljack

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cry me a river 3.5E

Simulacrum said:

Nope silvering is not a cantrip, bless is not *holy*
bless is bless. (its divine but doesnt substitute the *holy* ability)
And steel doesnt pass as cold wrought iron...not even as iron alone....its steel.

Actually yes 'Silvering' is a cantrip
From WotC website
Silvered Weapon
about 3/4 of the way down that page..copied here for ease

Silvered Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Pal 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One weapon or projectile
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

You transform a single weapon or projectile into a silvered weapon or silvered projectile. A silvered weapon or projectile functions as a normal item of its type, except that silvered weapons or projectiles can hurt some creatures that can resist damage from normal weapons, such as werewolves.

Material Component: A silver coin.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads