• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.

Hiya mate! :)

Yqatuba said:
reduce to d12 maybe?

the problem I have with it is that its doing the same damage as Cosmic [Effect]. Now obviously non-lethal isn't as good, but its still good enough to knock out most enemy types, allowing for a Coup de Grace. I'd reduce it to at least d8.

Yqatuba

First Post
Hiya mate! :)

the problem I have with it is that its doing the same damage as Cosmic [Effect]. Now obviously non-lethal isn't as good, but its still good enough to knock out most enemy types, allowing for a Coup de Grace. I'd reduce it to at least d8.

hmm ok. Reason it was so much is cause the rule seems to be the better a damage type less damage it does i.e divine {effect} cannot be resisted and goes through any barrier so its only d3 but say bane {effect} only works on your favored enemies so does d12. I thought maybe nonlethal is the least powerful damage type but I could be wrong.

Yqatuba

First Post
Saw someone asking a while back about a pain portfolio so I decided to make (someone else can make the happiness portfolio if they want)

Pain

Aspects: Sorrow, Suffering, Torture
Opposed Portfolio: Happiness
Examples: ?
Favored Animal: Fire Ant (natural)
Favored Class: Monk
Favored Place: Torture Chamber
Favored Sacrifice: Living Creature
Favored Time: First day of Autumn (Lammas)
Favored Weapon: Scourge
Portfolio Trial: You must be tortured to death and then resurrected
Prerequisites: Any evil alignment
Symbol: Thorns
Typical Quote: "Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something"

Pain Domain
1 Inflict Light wounds
2 Sadism 1
3 Crushing Despair
4 Poison
5 Greater Contagion 1
6 Acid Fog
7 Symbol Of Pain
8 Incendiary Cloud
9 Eternity of Torture 1

1: BoVD

Pain Template (single portfolio)
Appearance: The immortal's manifestation always appears to be crying (if it has eyes)
Demeanor: The immortal likes hurting people

Pain Template (double portfolio)
Appearance: The immortals manifestation is covered in thorns and spikes that deal 1d6 damage per divine rank to anyone striking or grappling them.
Demeanor: The immortal loves pain (their own and everyone else's)

(single) pain portfolio
Disciple:
Spell-like abilities: Use any pain domain spells as a spell like ability
Pig's Splendor: Penalty to charisma equal to your divine rank
Aversion To Healing: Healing spells only 50% effective on you

Prophet: Fear Immunity: You are immune to fear effects
Hero-deity: Scion of Pain: Competence bonus to damage equal to your divine rank when severly injured (half hp or less)
Quasi-deity: Superior Summoning (pain): Devils summoned have 50% more HD
Demi-deity: Bloodstrike: Expend up to 1 hp per HD and add that to damage
Lesser Deity: Superior Wilting {Effect}
Intermediate Deity: Uncanny Wilting Mastery
Greater Deity: Power through pain: Gain regeneration equal to 1/2 your HD when severly injured (less than half hp)
Elder One: Dominance: Enemies with less than 1/3 of your HD automatically fail their save
Cosmic Imperfection (Happiness) One artifact can defeat your cosmic string ability
Old One: Doombringer: Cause opponent to re-experience his worst pain once per day

(double) pain portfolio
Disciple:
Spell-like abilities: Use 2 pain domain spells per round as spell like abilities
Pig's Splendor: Penalty to charisma equal to twice your divine rank
Aversion To Healing: Healing spells only 25% effective on you

Prophet: Fear immunity: You and any allies in your divine aura are immune to fear effects
Hero-deity: Scion of Pain: Competence bonus to damage equal to twice your divine rank when severely injured (half hp or less)
Quasi-deity: Superior Summoning (pain): Devils summoned have 200% more HD
Demi-deity: Bloodstrike: Expend up to 2 hp per HD and add that to damage
Lesser deity: Superior Wilting {Effect} (x2)
Intermediate Deity: Uncanny Wilting Mastery (x2)
Greater Deity: Power through pain: Gain regeneration equal to your HD when severely injured (less than half hp)
Elder One: Specular: Enemies striking you suffer the same amount of damage.
Cosmic Imperfection (Happiness) Two artifacts can defeat your cosmic string ability
Old One: Eternal Pain: All damage you deal is permanent damage
First One: Transpersonal: all opponents in your divine aura suffer damage when you take damage

New ability:
Wilting {effect} (divine)
Benefit: you gain an effect dealing d6 damage to living creatures only (i.e not constructs undead or elementals) or d8 damage to plant creatures or creatures with the water subtype (for example a greater deity (100 HD) taking wilting hand would gain a touch attack dealing 50d6 damage)
Special: This effect can be taken multiple times and its effects stack.
Each time it is taken it either applies to a different effect or it applies to the same effect as follows:
Taken twice = Greater Wilting [Effect], original effect doubled.
Taken three times = Superior Wilting [Effect], original effect
tripled.
Taken four times = Perfect Wilting [Effect], original effect
quadrupled.
Taken five times = Wilting Mastery, use any type of wilting
effect.
Taken six times = Uncanny Wilting Mastery, shape area effects to
only target enemies.

Last edited:

Yqatuba

First Post
heres a couple more

Vile {effect} (Divine ability)
Prerequisites: any evil alignment
Benefit: You gain an effect dealing d4 vile damage based on hd (i.e a lesser deity 60HD taking Vile breath would get a breath weapon dealing 15d4 vile damage) Vile damage can only be healed within the area of a Consecrate or Hallow spell
Special: This effect can be taken multiple times and its effects stack.
Each time it is taken it either applies to a different effect or it applies to the same effect as follows:
Taken twice = Greater Vile [Effect], original effect doubled.
Taken three times = Superior Vile [Effect], original effect
tripled.
Taken four times = Perfect Vile [Effect], original effect
quadrupled.
Taken five times = Vile Mastery, use any type of Vile
effect.
Taken six times = Uncanny Vile Mastery, shape area effects to
only target enemies.

Improved Avatar (divine or cosmic?)
Prerequisites: ability to create avatar
Benefit: Your avatar is only one divine status lower than your manifestation
Normal: Your avatar is two divine statuses lower than your manifestation

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Improved Avatar (divine or cosmic?)
Prerequisites: ability to great avatar
Benefit: Your avater is only one divine status lower than your manifestation
Normal: Your avatar is two divine statuses lower than your manifestation

Offhand, I'd call this Transcendental.

Hey guys! :)

I would have put Vile [Effect] in the book initially, but I wasn't sure if the term was OGL since it was from the Book of Vile Darkness rather than the PHB.

Improved Avatar is very tricky to rate. It may take some sort of new paradigm that requires a proportion of divine ability slots...maybe even 50%. Have to think about it.

Howdy! :)

Yqatuba said:
maybe make it so it just takes more QP to make the improved avatar (i.e 25% instead of the usual 10%)

technically, creating an Avatar one rank lower requires 100% QP.

...probably why not too many gods do it.

The only way I see this becoming possible is by having a deity of one rank lower volunteer to become the god's Avatar - which is almost unheard of.

I dunno, still not convinced this can work.

DamienWilacoth

First Post
Howdy! :)

technically, creating an Avatar one rank lower requires 100% QP.

...probably why not too many gods do it.

The only way I see this becoming possible is by having a deity of one rank lower volunteer to become the god's Avatar - which is almost unheard of.

I dunno, still not convinced this can work.

Weren't there a couple of abilities previously in the thread that affected the rate at which QP was transfered over? Using those as a base, couldn't you just make a new ability similar to those?

Remove ads