D&D (2024) D&D 2024 Core Rulebooks: 'We'll Still Be Working On Them In May'

Reiterating that the accidentally announced May date was incorrect.

406472835_728869535942848_6745743928406323951_n.jpg

In a recent Unearthed Arcana video, Jeremy Crawford at WotC revealed that the new core rulebooks would definitely not be available in May of this year, as reported in the (withdrawn) infographics released by WotC on social media and at last year's Pax Unplugged 2023 panel.

I just want to confirm with you and as well with everyone watching this video - that is definitely not the release date. That was never the release date. In fact, we will still be working on the books in May.

mamba

Legend
And for context, the 2014 core books were releases staggered from August to December that yaear: 3 books in 5 months is very doable, and probsvly what theybare aiming for more or less. I see nonreason to suspect that all three won't be available by Christmas.
guess we will see, I assume there is a reason why they keep pointing out that the anniversary extends into 2025. Does not really matter to me either way, I just am not expecting all three books in 24 by now. Theoretically possible yes, I just am not expecting it

Parmandur

Book-Friend
guess we will see, I assume there is a reason why they keep pointing out that the anniversary extends into 2025. Does not really matter to me either way, I just am not expecting all three books in 24 by now. Theoretically possible yes, I just am not expecting it
That's really still not a reason: theybare less time-crunched and have better resources than last time, and they made it. The last 5 months of the year is plenty you time to release all 3 books, as in the past.

mamba

Legend
That's really still not a reason: theybare less time-crunched and have better resources than last time, and they made it. The last 5 months of the year is plenty you time to release all 3 books, as in the past.
well, WotC are the ones pointing out 2025 and so far the only thing that comes to mind are the core books… maybe it’s the boxed set, guess we will see

Parmandur

Book-Friend
well, WotC are the ones pointing out 2025 and so far the only thing that comes to mind are the core books… maybe it’s the boxed set, guess we will see
All sorts of things that could mean, no particular reason to believe the product they have been prepping for 2024 release for years will miss that slot. Maybe thst means the big documentary will come out in 2025. No way to say. Might mean literally nothing.

Kurotowa

Legend
August would be a great release date as it could potentially be a Gencon release, definitely would drive up sales and maybe bring back schismatic players back to the warm embrace of WotC.
Gencon is not their big release window. No one outside of the very small hardcore TTRPG community cares about Gencon. It's a pretty minor convention. If they time the release with a big con, and I'm not saying they will, it'll be a big con. One of the PAX events, probably.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gencon is not their big release window. No one outside of the very small hardcore TTRPG community cares about Gencon. It's a pretty minor convention. If they time the release with a big con, and I'm not saying they will, it'll be a big con. One of the PAX events, probably.
This would also be a good year to make a splash at Comic-Con. There's much more mainstream entertainment press there than at PAX, which is who they should be putting their marketing efforts toward this year.

But they are ... eccentric with their marketing efforts, so who knows.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
All sorts of things that could mean, no particular reason to believe the product they have been prepping for 2024 release for years will miss that slot. Maybe thst means the big documentary will come out in 2025. No way to say. Might mean literally nothing.
Nah. I think you are looking through rose colored glasses here. They almost definitely mean one of the core books will come in 2025.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nah. I think you are looking through rose colored glasses here. They almost definitely mean one of the core books will come in 2025.
Doubtful. Though if they are aiming st late November or December for the DMG (probable), the Book of Many Things on my shelf shows what can happened there.

Remove ads

Remove ads