D&D (2024) D&D 2024 Core Rulebooks: 'We'll Still Be Working On Them In May'

Reiterating that the accidentally announced May date was incorrect.

406472835_728869535942848_6745743928406323951_n.jpg

In a recent Unearthed Arcana video, Jeremy Crawford at WotC revealed that the new core rulebooks would definitely not be available in May of this year, as reported in the (withdrawn) infographics released by WotC on social media and at last year's Pax Unplugged 2023 panel.

I just want to confirm with you and as well with everyone watching this video - that is definitely not the release date. That was never the release date. In fact, we will still be working on the books in May.

DoctorPip

Explorer
I mean, the main audience is middle schoolers and high schoolers: those gift purchases by all accounts make up a lot of D&D sales, too.

My understanding is that kids are a specifically small part of the audience, and that physical books don't make much money. Its mostly young adults paying for D&DBeyond.

Perhaps you've seen different statistics, but everything I can find all seems to deny what you said.
find:https://tabletopden.com/dnd/dungeons-dragons-statistics/

teitan

Legend
If my notes are correct, there were seven things they announced at Pax Unplugged. Immediately afterward, they said the dates given were wrong, but they'd all still come out in 2024. But it's hard to imagine them releasing seven books in, say, the Sept - Dec timeframe. Unless maybe the Vecna book comes out before the new rulebooks? IDK. I'd love to get an official update.

• 2024 Player's Handbook
  • 2024 Dungeon Master's Guide
  • 2024 Monster Manual
  • Vecna: Eve of Ruin
  • The Making of Dungeons & Dragons (1970-1976)
  • Quests From the Infinite Staircase
  • Descent Into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Unless they’re going back to monthly releases? I could see that being a mandate from Hasbro. I do miss the monthly releases but I also liked the slower pace of the Mearls era. 5e never felt bloated, it felt the opposite of bloated because there were “gaps” in that approach that a good DM could fill easily for the first few years and then they magiced everyone up.

teitan

Legend
Honestly I assume to hit profit goals it needs to be released in 2024. New edtion is such a revenue generator and people stop spending on the old eddtion during the wait.

WOTC/Hasbro doesn't seem like a company that would prioritize quality over shareholder profits.
So far it has not affected 5e in a measurable way. It still sells like no one’s business.

teitan

Legend
I actually wouldn't be surprised if the DMG doesn't come out until 2025. I fully expect it to be the last book to come out again because it's the book you only barely need to play the game. I do think they'll get the MM out before the end of the year.

the DMG is supposed to include a “sample setting” according to hints… I also think it’s an extremely valuable resource for new and old DMs outside of the 2e version. It has an undeserved reputation in 5e.

Remove ads

Remove ads