D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Level 1 Max Min Fun DPR and AC

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
So Just playing around.

Limiting builds to Point buy so they don't require crazy starting rolls, basic day 1 character that you would show up with built with in the rules. So no 1,500gp platemail or magic items...etc. Also, I separated them by conditional situations to allow for more build fun and because maybe someone would argue static > a single use concentration but that does make the single use spell AC wrong.

Can anyone improve on these?

Static Max AC

Warforged Fighter or Forge Cleric
---Chain mail = AC16
---Shield bonus +2 AC
---Integrated Protection +1 AC
---Defensive Fighting style +1 AC / Blessing of the Forge +1 AC
Total AC 20 (max AC without a feat)

Human Variant Fighter or Forge Cleric
---Scale Mail = 14AC (+2 Max Dex Bonus)
---Human Variant Feat: Medium Armor Master - 14AC (+3 Max Dex Bonus)
---16 Dex +3 AC
---Shield bonus +2 AC
---Defensive Fighting style +1 AC / Blessing of the Forge +1 AC
Total AC 20

Single fight Max AC
(using a concentration spell)

Warforged Forge Cleric
---Chain mail = AC16
---Shield bonus +2 AC
---Integrated Protection +1 AC
---Blessing of the Forge +1 AC
---Shield of Faith spell +2
Total AC 22 (max AC without a feat)

Human Variant Forge Cleric
---Scale Mail = 14AC (+2 Max Dex Bonus)
---Human Variant Feat: Medium Armor Master - 14AC (+3 Max Dex Bonus)
---16 Dex +3 AC
---Shield bonus +2 AC
---Blessing of the Forge +1 AC
---Shield of Faith spell +2
Total AC 22

Single Combat round Max AC

Human Variant Forge Cleric
---Chain mail = AC16
---Shield +2
---Blessing of the Forge +1
---Shield of Faith spell +2 (concentration)
---Magic initiate: Sorcerer or Wizard for Shield +5
Total AC 26

--If we assume all attacks hit low AC early game enemies and not counting random critical hits.--

(Why? Because otherwise we get into "what if" arguments about moving numbers and changing scenarios that will support the agreement of the person making it)
No reactions (because the setup is not player controlled)
No AC8 or AC19 (if you hit AC no longer matters)
No who does what first (because in a real game that is fluid)
No limiting damage to the HP max of a specific enemy (because we are not comparing enemies but Player characters and enemies will very from game to game)
Just raw damage (which is why I did a range and an average)
That just cuts down on arguments. No it is not 100% accurate to a game but their is no accounting for Player rolls or GM tactics and NPC choices.
Also, getting a DPR adjusted by % to hit that gives you a damage less than the minimum is not accurate. In a really game you miss and do 0 or you hit and do at least the minimum. 0 is the same for everyone so I am just looking at what happens when you hit.

Static Max DPR Melee

Human Variant Barbarian (Possible AC15)
---Great Sword (2d6 + str)
---16 Str (2d6 + 3)
---Human Variant Feat: Great Weapon Master +10 (2d6 + 13)
---Rage +2 (2d6 + 15)
DPR Range 17-27
DPR Average: 22

Static Max DPR ranged weapon

Human Variant Rogue (Possible AC16)
---Heavy Crossbow (1d10 + dex)
---16 dex (1d10 + 3)
---Human Variant Feat: Sharpshooter +10 (1d10 + 13)
---Sneak Attack* 1d6 (1d10 + 13 +1d6)
DPR Range 11 - 29
DPR Average: 22
*While sneak attack is conditional it is an unlimited and easily arrangeable in a standard party so I will consider it static under the assumption that the rogue uses "I hold my action to attack the first enemy I can see who gets within 5ft of an ally without some difficulty of hitting them that would give me disadvantage on the attack"

Max single round damage from a single target spell
Inflict Wounds 3d10 Necrotic (Cleric, Divine Soul Sorcerer)
DPR Range 3 - 30
DPR Average: 16.5

Max single round damage from an AoE spell vs 2 targets
Burning Hands 3d6 Fire x2 (Wizard, Sorcerer, Light Domain Cleric, Fiend Patron Warlock)
DPR Range 6 - 36
DPR Average: 21

Single Fight Max Melee DPR (Limited Repeatable x3)

Human Variant War Cleric (Possible AC16)
---16 Str (2d6 + 3)
---War Prist Bonus Action (2d6 + 13)(2d6 + 13)
---War Domain 1st level Spell: divine favor +1d4 (2d6 + 1d4 + 13)(2d6 + 1d4 + 13)
DPR Range 32 - 58
DPR Average: 45

Multiple Fight Max Melee DPR
(using a concentration spell, Limited Repeatable)

Human Variant/custom Warlock (any patron)
---16 Str (2d6 + 3)
---Hex +1d6 (2d6 + 1d6 + 13)
Range (16-31)
Average 23.5

Honorable mention - its actually the same average, higher minimum, and only one lower max
Human Variant Forge Domain
---16 Str (2d6 + 3)
---Blessing of the Forge +1 Damage (2d6 + 14)
---War Domain 1st level Spell: divine favor +1d4 (2d6 + 1d4 + 14)
Range (17-30)
Average 23.5

Single Fight Max Melee DPR (using a concentration spell)
Human Variant Rogue (Possible AC15)
---Shortsword Light/Finesse (1d6 + dex)
---Shortsword Light/Finesse - off hand (1d6 + dex)(1d6) or (2d6 + dex)
---16 Dex (2d6 + 3)
---Human Variant Feat: Magic Initiate, Warlock, Hex (4d6 + 3)
---Sneak Attack (5d6 + 3)
DPR Range 8 - 33
DPR Average: 20.5

---------------------High AC / High single 1 handed weapon DPR Balance build Honorable mention-----
These builds have a high AC of 19 a high Max damage of 30 and without the negative to hit of great weapon master and a higher die second attack than Polearm master results in a higher average Damage Per Round that is actually above its minimum damage making it perhaps the most solid all around build I know of for actual play.

No feats and standard Array
Warforged War Cleric STR 16, DEX 12, CON 15, WIZ 14, INT10, CHA8 HP:10
---Chain mail AC16, Shield +2, and Integrated Protection +1= AC19
---Longsword (1d8 + str)
---War Priest Bonus Action (1d8 + 3)(1d8 + 3)
---War Domain 1st level Spell: divine favor +1d4 (1d8 + 3 + 1d4)(1d8 + 3 + 1d4)
DPR Range 10 - 30
DPR Average: 20
Adjusted DPR with +5 to hit vs AC15 (55%) = 11 adjusted DPR
*Strength adds to hit and to damage of both attacks so you have to choose between 14 wisdom and 16 constitution so you ether have 1 use of War Priest and 11 health or 2 uses of War Priest and 10 health. War priest recharges on a long rest. Point Buy allows Str16, Con16, and Wiz14 with racial bonuses, with 4 points to play with.

With Feat and point buy
Human Variant War Cleric STR 10, DEX 16, CON 16, WIZ 14, INT8, CHA8 HP:11 (Max will for War Priest)
---Human Variant Feat: Medium Armor Master - Scale mail AC14(Max3) and shield= AC19
---Rapier (1d8 + dex)
---War Priest Bonus Action (1d8 + 3)(1d8 + 3)
---War Domain 1st level Spell: divine favor +1d4 (1d8 + 3 + 1d4)(1d8 + 3 + 1d4)
DPR Range 10 - 30
DPR Average: 20
Adjusted DPR with +5 to hit vs AC15 (55%) = 11 adjusted DPR

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
So Just playing around.
Limiting builds to Point buy so they don't require crazy starting rolls:

Best AC I can get at level 1 is:

Human Variant Fighter
---Scale Mail - 14(Max2)
---Human Variant Feat: Medium Armor Master - 14(Max3)
---Defensive Fighting style (Armor AC +1) - 15(Max3)
---16 Dex (to fill max dex bonus) - 18
---Shield (+2 AC) - 20
Total AC 20

If you make this character a Warforged from the Eberon UA article you can get +1AC.
Chainmail (16), shield (+2), warforged (+1), Defensive fighting style (+1) = 20
Yeah, atm at lv1 it's no different AC wise than what you did. But you don't need to invest a feat into it & later on you may well find/buy heavier armor. (Splint is only 200gp)
But keep the dex - because it adds to your initiative + affects any ranged attacks you might make.

ClaytonCross

Updated with the Human Variant War Cleric but I imagine when you slide to level 2 Fighters give them a run for their money with action surge. However, it is not repeatable per battle and does not benefit from divine favor setup.

Human Variant War Cleric
---16 Str (2d6 + 3)
---Human Variant Feat: Great Weapon Fighter +10 (2d6 + 13)
---Fighter Action surge (2d6 + 13)(2d6 + 13)
Non-crit Damage: 30-50

Last edited:

CTurbo

Explorer
I see you are giving the Greatsword fighter the Dueling Fighting style and that would not work.

For max damage, a variant human TWF Fighter with the Duel Wielding feat would get you 1d8+3 + 1d8+3 per round. It would probably out damage the Great Weapon Master's -5 to attack , +10 to damage at level 1. The Archer Fighter with the Sharpshooting feat would too with the extra +2 to ranged attacks, and last but not least, the Variant Human Polearm Master Barbarian with a 1d10+5 + 1d4+5 dpr.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Are to looking at a single round of combat, a whole combat, every combat in the day? The test conditions aren't very tightly defined so I have no way of knowing what to focus on.

My pick on highest AC at level 1 would be Fighter with magic initiate shield of Faith and defensive fighting style. Yes it's only 1 combat per day but 21 ac is very good.

FrogReaver

If I recall correctly the human war cleric was the most impressive level 1 damage dealer both with a prep round and without one.

ClaytonCross

I see you are giving the Greatsword fighter the Dueling Fighting style and that would not work.

For max damage, a variant human TWF Fighter with the Duel Wielding feat would get you 1d8+3 + 1d8+3 per round. It would probably out damage the Great Weapon Master's -5 to attack , +10 to damage at level 1. The Archer Fighter with the Sharpshooting feat would too with the extra +2 to ranged attacks, and last but not least, the Variant Human Polearm Master Barbarian with a 1d10+5 + 1d4+5 dpr.

I was coming to fix my post with Great weapon fighter and using and off hand weapon. I had realized that required 2 bonus actions and was on my way to fix it.

I had done the math for:
-Variant Human Two-Weapon Fight Dueling as (1d6+3)(1d6+3) or 8-18
-Variant Human Polearm Barbarian as (1d10+5)(1d4+5) or 12-24
-Variant Human Magic Initiate Monk as (1d10+3+1d6)(1d4+3+1d6) or 10-32
-- All beaten by the 8-33 Rogue above for highest reliable damage but comparable. It could be argued that the Monk is nearly as high and with a higher minimum will likely have a better average damage.

-The Archer Fighter is (1d8 + 15) or 16-23, The Great Weapon Fighter Barbarian and Fighter both have (2d6 + 15) or 17-31 but that still makes them lower than the 32-58 War Cleric I listed above.

CTurbo

Explorer
Of course the War Cleric would only be able to use it's bonus action attack 3 times at level one per long rest. I am currently playing a Tempest Cleric and being able to deal 2d8 damage as a reaction x3 in addition to my 2d6+3 greatsword on my turn easily makes me the highest DPR character of the group so far. I can also max that 2d8 damage once per.

Ganymede81

First Post
So Just playing around.
Limiting builds to Point buy so they don't require crazy starting rolls:

Best AC I can get at level 1 is:

Human Variant Fighter
---Scale Mail - 14(Max2)
---Human Variant Feat: Medium Armor Master - 14(Max3)
---Defensive Fighting style (Armor AC +1) - 15(Max3)
---16 Dex (to fill max dex bonus) - 18
---Shield (+2 AC) - 20
Total AC 20

You should consider making this character a High Elf instead. Then, you have more intelligence for improved lore checks and can do some fun stuff by taking the Prestidigitation cantrip.

FrogReaver

Savage attacker is also a good feat consideration. Likewise Charger is as well for some classes. (if we are just looking for level 1 DPR).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases