D&D and the rising pandemic

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If the US or State governments are doing widespread tests, quarantining the sick, and/or tracing contacts, that effort is a deep dark secret - or (my suspicion) the effort is being squandered by "trying to be strong everywhere at once" and dividing the supplies into penny packets that go to every large city, where they are swallowed up like a drop in a bucket. We are not getting anywhere - new cases keep arising - even though the entire population was put under quarantine long enough ago to catch asymptomatic carriers and remove them from crowds.
Not really. There are so many "essential" jobs that between large numbers of people still working and having to go to stores and gas stations, that the spread has only been slowed a bit. We aren't even close to putting the entire population into quarantine, and that's in the states that are reacting the strongest. In places like Florida and some other states that didn't really close down on time or completely, it's even worse.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
More fun!

That seems like pretty unimportant semantics - if you're sick, having sex with someone is a surefire way to pass it to them, regardless of HOW. Sweat and breathing are more likely. I mean, all this study is gonna do is to make stupid people think that wearing a condom would make them "safe".

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That seems like pretty unimportant semantics - if you're sick, having sex with someone is a surefire way to pass it to them, regardless of HOW. Sweat and breathing are more likely. I mean, all this study is gonna do is to make stupid people think that wearing a condom would make them "safe".
You’re forgetting to factor in the asymptomatic carriers. This is a family site, so I’m not going into details, but this IS a potentially a new vector.

And, like other STDs, this could mean it negatively affects fertility.

It could also be a concern for medical facilities that handle semen- in vitro fertility clinics, DNA labs, etc.- depending on the safety measures they currently have in place.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It is scary. But I have seen lots of people who think like that. Some of them are resentful of the older generation holding -from their point of view- all of the important jobs, all of the wealth and all of the power and can't wait for them to pass away so they can have all of that. It gets disgusting, they call the virus the "boomer remover" with glee and don't care about containing the virus, if anything, they'd rather have it spread even more quickly, so "it does its job". They don't care about getting infected themselves because they think that they will only catch a mild cold. I don't know if these people are resentful with life or hate their parents, or are stunted in their growth with the maturity of a teenager, or are plain psychos.

I don't know how this place handles politics, and I don't want to make a mistake, so I say vaguely the following:

It is my observation that a lot of the hostility that you see (#OKBOOMERVIRUS) is primarily political; it's not about the jobs, or the wealth, but more the belief that an older generation has elected the people that are making this situation worse by lying and ignoring the problem.

At least, that is my observation. It's more the release of a rage that's been simmering for a while. And that's all I will mention.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

NotAYakk

Legend
If the US or State governments are doing widespread tests, quarantining the sick, and/or tracing contacts, that effort is a deep dark secret - or (my suspicion) the effort is being squandered by "trying to be strong everywhere at once" and dividing the supplies into penny packets that go to every large city, where they are swallowed up like a drop in a bucket. We are not getting anywhere - new cases keep arising - even though the entire population was put under quarantine long enough ago to catch asymptomatic carriers and remove them from crowds.
The US federal government is using a single built-in excel function to predict what the spread of Covid-19 is doing. The US federal government isn't "trying to be strong everywhere", it is simply being incompetent.

Various state governments pandemic responses where predicated on a CDC that wasn't being incompetent (as was Canada's; Canada's central health agency was planning to coordinate with the CDC. But the CDC is hamstrung and not doing it.). They are scrambling to deal with this pandemic with zero to negative federal assistance.

Very few parts of the world have the testing capacity to mass test the population. Very few parts of the world have a public health infrastructure needed to contact trace positive cases and notify the people who are at risk to get a test. And this is reasonable; you need a LOT of work per positive result to do effective contact tracing in any kind of traditional way.

To do it non-traditionally, you need a central pandemic response that isn't incompetent and has the expertise for this sort of thing. Not many US states have a full-fledged set of pandemic experts on staff; and, the US federal response is hamstrung by its executive leadership, who is pushing for quack cures and reopening, instead of going to war with it.

Instead, what we have is untraced community spread. Social isolation can bend R0 -- reproductive number -- down, but it takes a serious and uniform effort to get it under 0. The US response, patchwork, means that R0 is at or above 1 in most of the country (geographically, and possibly population wise). Only in areas where the local government saw a disaster coming does it go below 1 (washington state, some areas of california, new york). And often too late. NYC is going to hit about 30% infection even with a shutdown.

To extinguish this quickly, you have to shut down before the 2nd death ideally, and definitely before the 12th. Washington got "lucky" in that it killed a bunch of people in an old folks home "early", so they had the political capital to do a shutdown earlier than most areas do.

NYC got unlucky, as apparently the subways meant that their R0 was insanely high, and by the time they responded it was everywhere.

Remember, if it doubles every 4 days and 1% die about 20 days after getting it, by the time the first person died you had 2^5*100 = 3,200 people infected. And 50 days later with uncontrolled spread 1 million are infected.

NYC had it doubling every 2-3 days instead of every 4 during that period, and did lockdown when around a dozen died. 20/2 is 10, 20/3 is 7, so 2^(7 to 10) * 100 * 12 150k to 1.2 million infected.

It is the places where there are no cases and nobody dead that need to lockdown to prevent this from growing. Then you need to reduce mobility and start contact tracing every new diagnosted case, and testing everyone with any symptoms whatsoever with a rapid turn-around test.

All of this requires central proactive leadership aimed at wiping out Covid-19, that the USA is lacking. The US central leadership is complaining that the malls aren't open, not that people are dieing.

With a privately run health care system, it is going bankrupt and the work for this public health measure doesn't come with funding; US health care is paid for by elective surgeries and other low-value high-price stuff, not by a central government that can aim resources at public health prevention.

The individual state model doesn't work well, because if one state says "naughty word it, let them die", the states that don't do that have to shut off travel to those states or their work is for nothing.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You’re forgetting to factor in the asymptomatic carriers. This is a family site, so I’m not going into details, but this IS a potentially a new vector.

And, like other STDs, this could mean it negatively affects fertility.

It could also be a concern for medical facilities that handle semen- in vitro fertility clinics, DNA labs, etc.- depending on the safety measures they currently have in place.

No I'm not. AFAIK asymptomatic carriers are still contagious if they breathe on you. They're just safER from closer because regular breath doesn't travel as far as coughing does (nor does it have as large moisture particles). Sweat and heavy breathing would still be at least as dangerous from an asymptomatic carrier as their semen.

Your last sentence makes sense though. It might be a concern for them, though I would hope that facilities that handle semen would already do it "cleanly".

A little too broadly stated. Within some day to day variation, Boston's deaths are flat, and our cases per day look like they are trending downward.
My county (rural SW Washington state) now has 8 confirmed cases and 1 death. The death shouldn't even be counted, though, because he was out of state the entire time, even if this was his home address. All others are connected to one specific outbreak at a seafood packing company, so contact tracing is working and there doesn't seem to be random community spread at this point.

I'm feeling pretty comfortable, but know that it's still out there.

What's that fancy term for people who think they're a lot smarter than they are? Dunning whatever.

A lot of conspiracy theorys are people thinking they're smarter than most because they're in on "the truth".

I've met a Holocaust denier, flat earther and a 9/11 that were otherwise intelligent people. The flat earther was quite funny as he also believed Mesa were fossilized ancient tree stumps.
He was also very good at a lot of life skills, and with his hands.he was a qualified cable installer in construction and maintained power tools and could reassemble almost anything. Also knew his way around a garden and seemed to be a bit of a prepper.
One of my former students is a flat earther and he's been in fighter jets -- high enough that he can actually SEE the curvature of the earth. Otherwise, though, an intelligent dude. He just likes his tin hats.

Over the weekend I saw an article that CHiPs (CA Highway Patrol) has handed out twice as many tickets for driving 100+ MPH as usual. (Simultaneously, total tickets written is down.) I'm waiting to hear that somebody got pulled over for speeding and his speakers were blasting "I - CAN'T - DRIVE - 55 !"
Save it for when you're getting pulled over. At least the cop will chuckle as he writes your ticket.

Remove ads