D&D and the rising pandemic

Of course I'm not well educated on it. You have that correct, but you're post is also full of assumptions, including:

1) Public health officials have political authority
2) Their authority is legitimate
3) Their legitimate authority overrides personal authority
4) Death is a tragedy
5) Stricter precautions are worth any sacrifices to personal freedom they might inflict
6) The world is a community
7) Communities can have mindsets

Now of coming with a set assumptions isn't always bad. Everyone brings assumptions to an argument, and our own assumptions are easier for others to spot than they are for others to spot.

But some of the reason there we might be disagreeing is a fundamental difference in our assumptions.

Now, while I might agree that I also hold 4 to be true, I have yet to see are good argument to support it. Our assumptions cannot always be supported. Often times they have no foundations. In fact, I'm almost sure all foundations we base our human cultures on have cracks in them, which is something I'm currently trying to come to terms with.

I admit my philosophy is shaky, and I am philosophically confused at the moment. I used to ask a lot of questions, but would receive few answers. Instead, I would be pushed away. As a result, I am probably less likely to take others' well being into consideration.

Which means, as I said before, I should not be in charge of public policy. I'm just not sure anyone else should be either.
You sound a lot like the infamous Mary Mallon AKA Typhoid Mary who created Typhoid outbreaks in the early 20th century. She was a carrier who never experienced symptoms but was highly infectious. Even when she was tracked down and identified she failed to act responsibly because she didn't see the issue and ended up being incarcerated for life in order to protect the public.

There's a moral there somewhere...

You sound a lot like the infamous Mary Mallon AKA Typhoid Mary who created Typhoid outbreaks in the early 20th century. She was a carrier who never experienced symptoms but was highly infectious. Even when she was tracked down and identified she failed to act responsibly because she didn't see the issue and ended up being incarcerated for life in order to protect the public.

There's a moral there somewhere...

Which is why authorities should better explain why they have authority.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@WayOfTheFourElements

ENWorld is not the place for this particular tack of discussion. I advise you drop that line.

Might I also strongly suggest that you take a course or two in Constitutional Law at a legitimate institution* taught by an acknowledged legal scholar to address your concerns. The document plus accumulated case law will answer most of your questions. (Possibly not to your liking or satisfaction, but...)

*after the pandemic has passed, of course

Zardnaar

Legend
For the signers of the declaration, I agree.

Thankfully some if us live in sane countries. We're outperforming the USA in almost every metric and getting close economically per capita. Due to wealth distribution I think we might be beating the US there as well.

We're good at farming and put common sense additives to the vegetables.

Remove ads