D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In his slight defense, there is starting to be a big push for human composting. Personally, I think refraining from pumping formaldehyde into the dead so they look prettier at funerals would be a much bigger step.

1) Please don't argue with moderation in-thread. It is against the board rules for good reason.

2) There is a time and place for things, folks. Make sure you are choosing them appropriately.

Sadras

Legend
I dunno guys, I quite enjoyed @WayOfTheFourElements philosophical quandry that was laid bare in this thread. I did not agree with his actions but it was an interesting and definitely worthy line of conversation and debate IMO. I kind of enjoy these intellectual sparrings, from both sides as long as it is kept civil which this was.

Just another evening at the Lyceum, the Agora or the Forum :geek:

slobster

Hero
I dunno guys, I quite enjoyed @WayOfTheFourElements philosophical quandry that was laid bare in this thread. I did not agree with his actions but it was an interesting and definitely worthy line of conversation and debate IMO. I kind of enjoy these intellectual sparrings, from both sides as long as it is kept civil which this was.

Just another evening at the Lyceum, the Agora or the Forum :geek:
I quite enjoy abstract philosophical discussions, even ones which challenge basic assumptions that are usually taken as axiomatic. In the abstract, if a friend were to come up with me and ask "so why DO we value human life?", I'd be happy to engage in the navel-gazing. Especially after like, beer number 4.

If someone is lying bleeding in the street and someone looks over at me and asks, "hey, have you ever thought about how many problems overpopulation causes?" then quite simply I'm not going to have patience or sympathy for their self-indulgent BS. When lives and wellbeings are at stake, I feel no particular compulsion to humor that sort of solipsism.

So no, I'm not bothered by that poster's questioning of philosophical concepts. I am appalled at the concrete behaviors that they are espousing and apparently practicing, and their stated disregard for the risk that said actions run, and moreso for their stated rationalization of "if my actions cause harm to others it's their fault". I don't find that point of view worthy of debate, no, except to simply denounce it.

For H1N1 eleven years ago... most victims were females under thirty.
Did they ever figure out why women of that age category were so predisposed to it compared to men? Was it a biological reason? I feel like it probably wasnt. Im curious though. My intuition says its due to social patterns. Like jobs and proximity to other social functions.

Sadras

Legend
If someone is lying bleeding in the street and someone looks over at me and asks, "hey, have you ever thought about how many problems overpopulation causes?" then quite simply I'm not going to have patience or sympathy for their self-indulgent BS. When lives and wellbeings are at stake, I feel no particular compulsion to humor that sort of solipsism.

So no, I'm not bothered by that poster's questioning of philosophical concepts. I am appalled at the concrete behaviors that they are espousing and apparently practicing, and their stated disregard for the risk that said actions run, and moreso for their stated rationalization of "if my actions cause harm to others it's their fault". I don't find that point of view worthy of debate, no, except to simply denounce it.

Fair point. I understand where you coming from and people are gonna do what they gonna do (i.e. like fly on planes knowing full well they are infected). But in this moment of convesation I do not picture a lying bleeding person on the street - that image doesn't just jump out at me. I'm on Enworld and sometimes philosophical questions arise during or because of periods of chaos and not just after one's 4th beer.

Anyways I do not wish to argue with you or belabour the point. I did though enjoy your rebuttal posts with the poster and for entertaining the question for as long as you did. (y)

Last edited:

Remove ads