D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
Somehow the new gamestore opened. Go and have a look tomorrow and support the local economy (beer, Theros, lunch).

Patriotic duty to spend.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's just the way pandemics work. Anyone vulnerable that gets it dies early

It is a vast oversimplification. It isn't like the virus gets into a nation, and hits everywhere equally instantaneously, and all the vulnerable people die. There's some pretty complicated dynamics between the spread of disease through populations over time, and the death rate as it penetrates new areas, which gets more complicated by social distancing efforts and medical care of varying quality. End result is that you are very likely to see multiple peaks and valleys in the death rate that have little to do with particular vulnerability.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It is a vast oversimplification. It isn't like the virus gets into a nation, and hits everywhere equally instantaneously, and all the vulnerable people die. There's some pretty complicated dynamics between the spread of disease through populations over time, and the death rate as it penetrates new areas, which gets more complicated by social distancing efforts and medical care of varying quality. End result is that you are very likely to see multiple peaks and valleys in the death rate that have little to do with particular vulnerability.

Absolutely.

80% of the deaths in Canada have happened in long term care homes.

That is why Canada has such a high death rate compared to the number of confirmed cases.

That is why Canada has such a high death rate compared to the number of confirmed cases.

I posted this link about a month ago, but I think it bears repeating:

Unfortunately, I can't find any story with updated data, probably because the data doesn't exist yet. It can take months to get this compiled. Next year this time, we'll be able to compare expected death rate to actually death rate vs. COVID numbers. Until then, we're just guessing. And I have to say, the fact that we're still "guessing" about the numbers to this degree disgusts me.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I posted this link about a month ago, but I think it bears repeating:

Unfortunately, I can't find any story with updated data, probably because the data doesn't exist yet. It can take months to get this compiled. Next year this time, we'll be able to compare expected death rate to actually death rate vs. COVID numbers. Until then, we're just guessing. And I have to say, the fact that we're still "guessing" about the numbers to this degree disgusts me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And I have to say, the fact that we're still "guessing" about the numbers to this degree disgusts me.

So, haivng computers on all of our desks tends to make us think that getting data from point A to point B should be trivial. It isn't. Gathering data from thousands of disparate physical world sources, from people who are, in fact, generally busy with keeping people alive, is not a lickety-split instant task.

We live in a real world, with practical limitations.

So, haivng computers on all of our desks tends to make us think that getting data from point A to point B should be trivial. It isn't. Gathering data from thousands of disparate physical world sources, from people who are, in fact, generally busy with keeping people alive, is not a lickety-split instant task.

We live in a real world, with practical limitations.

I am 100% with you on the practical limitations; I understand that data doesn't come quick and isn't perfect.

The part that am bothered by is that it seems not everyone actually wants the data to exist. Florida, for instance, is using a different method to classify a death as being caused by COVID19 than the CDC's standard (and different from how they track deaths from the normal flu). In fact, FL is using a standard that basically guarantees their reported number will be lower. At that point, it's not a practical limitation, it's willfull misconduct.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Well it's Tuesday and we didn't see an increase in reports to make up for the (long) weekend.

Only 700 deaths in the USA were reported today.

Florida reported only 500 new cases and 7 deaths.

To put this into comparative context Florida and Texas both have roughly as many confirmed cases per capita that Canada has.

Florida has almost half as many recorded deaths per capita as Canada. Texas has less than 1/3 as many deaths per capita.

Canada's death count is higher than expected due to long term care deaths but that is still a huge discrepancy.

Remove ads