D&D and the rising pandemic

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A problem with allergies in the current climate. Even if you're 100% certain you're covid free, you really don't want to be sneezing.
Nod and It's not like I can get fast tests every day and choose not to like the corona president in chief so that I will actually BE certain.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

This scares me. I’ve known people with disease-related aphasia or memory loss, and even experienced something like this when on post-surgical drugs. I was functionally illiterate for most of a year because I couldn’t read print smaller than you’d see in a street sign.

Dioltach

Legend
For those with allergies: try rubbing Vaseline up your nostrils. It prevents the irritants from irritating and triggering your sneeze reflex. (I developed hayfever about 18 months ago, and now I use Vaseline whenever I go outside for any length of time.)

Zardnaar

Legend
For those with allergies: try rubbing Vaseline up your nostrils. It prevents the irritants from irritating and triggering your sneeze reflex. (I developed hayfever about 18 months ago, and now I use Vaseline whenever I go outside for any length of time.)

Doctor put me on inhalers earlier in the year so ignored anti hystemines.

Started itching in August as we had warm winter.

Usually just suck it up. Pine pollen was really bad this year though.

This scares me. I’ve known people with disease-related aphasia or memory loss, and even experienced something like this when on post-surgical drugs. I was functionally illiterate for most of a year because I couldn’t read print smaller than you’d see in a street sign.

This sounds some what familiar. After my father underwent surgery for bowel cancer, he caught a nasty lung infection in the hospital. They kept him in an artificial coma for a while, but afterwards he wasn't the same. He was delirious for a while, and even to this very day he is more forgetful than before. He also seems more somber than before the operation, and has trouble reading books (his favourite hobby) for long stretches of time.

If a mere lung infection can do that to a person, I can imagine something as nasty as COVID doing a lot worse.

There was a local news report in my province just a few days ago, about a former contender for the strongest man of the Netherlands. This is a guy who has always been in superior health, until he caught COVID. Now even a few minutes of walking leaves him out of breath. It is as if he has only 40% of his normal lung capacity.

"Strongest man, struck down by corona". No subtitles unfortunately. He does say that he's making minor progress every day. He says he is shocked to hear people around him suggest that he's getting paid to put up some kind of act.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Not quite correct, on two counts.

1) For most of us, the point of entry of airborne allergens into our system is up on the mucus membranes high in the nasal passages, beyond where you can (or should) shove a vaseline-covered finger.

2) There are two ways you generate sneezes - particulates you inhale physically irritate the surfaces of those upper membranes, or the allergic biochemical cascade response causes inflammation and mucus production, which then stimulates sneezing. The former of these may be a reaction to any particulates, and is not technically an allergic response.

Vaseline up the nose does the same job mucus does - it traps particulates before they can reach those upper membranes. However, be aware that, since it is not mucus, the body does not necessary expel the resulting particulate-ladened goo in the same way, and you may be trapping a bunch of dust, mold and bacterial spores up in the nice warm, damp environment of your nose where they may choose to grow.

I am glad you have not had issues with sinus infections resulting from this, but it isn't a recommended treatment for allergies.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My allergy symptoms are virus, primarily sinus drain triggering a cough although it does not last and mostly antihistamines do treat it well but once in a while it runs very strong and is fatiguing and with the poor sleep I have been getting even more so. In a sense too similar.

Got mine on Friday. The reaction...was not fun. Aches, chills, and and nausea. I was actually playing D&D when it hit and had to excuse myself and log off. Twenty minutes later, I was throwing up. So far, everyone I've talked to has mentioned that the side effects this year were particularly rough. I was fairly useless the next day, but the day after that I was fine and went for a nice long walk.

Speaking of vaccines, have those of you in the Northern hemisphere taken this year's flu shot yet?

Remove ads