D&D 5E D&D Beyond Confirms Monsters of the Multiverse's May Standalone Release

Monsters of the Multiverse comes out this month as part of a gift set along with Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. However, if you don't need those older books, D&D Beyond has confirmed that Monsters of the Multiverse will be available separately on May 17th. DDB's entry refers to the digital release, but these are typically timed to match the hardcovers. You...

Monsters of the Multiverse comes out this month as part of a gift set along with Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. However, if you don't need those older books, D&D Beyond has confirmed that Monsters of the Multiverse will be available separately on May 17th.

DDB's entry refers to the digital release, but these are typically timed to match the hardcovers. You can preorder the digital version from DDB now.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.33.37 PM.png

The book compiles monsters from Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and updates them to match WotC's current format; additionally it tweaks stats where needed to ensure monsters are worthy of their Challenge Rating, as some D&D monsters have been felt to be underpowered. In addition, it compiles over 30 races previously published in 5E D&D books, also updated to the current formats.

Update! WotC has confirmed the standalone hardcover release date is May 17th.

EEDBED9E-4259-4723-982F-DD467E948162.jpeg

Assuming this is when the hardcover releases, my guess is this is tied up with printing issues not some conspiracy to force early adopters to re-buy the other books.
Yep, but it's not even a guess - they said so way back in the original announcement. It's the same printing/supply chain issues that caused them to release a "gift set" in late January, rather than back in November (like they did with their last gift set) when massive numbers of people go gift shopping. But, I guess "fans" needed to go off about it all being a money-grabbing scam, and conspiracy theorists can just assume they are lying no matter what they say. :rolleyes:

Because nothing says "money-grabbing conspiracy" like releasing a set of books aimed at giving as a holiday gift an entire month after that holiday is over! Definitely some 4D chess business moves there. ;)

(And this isn't aimed towards you, of course, but the conspiracy theorists who, like most conspiracy theorists, ignore both simpler explanations and inconvenient facts in order to support their pet theory.)

Unfortunately, I think your analysis is correct. OTOH, if they proceed in this fashion, it would seem that there would be very little incentive for owners of the previous books on the platform to buy this one as well.
Yeah, if they do deviate from the pattern, it's going to be in the name of selling more books (which they get a cut of), so that would make sense. But they may well consider the monsters in the book already reason enough (there are new monsters in the book, right? I didn't check). I suspect minimum viable effort will win over even profit motive though.

My understanding is that there is no new material, only updates.
Huh. Wow.

That's quite a thing. So there's literally no reason to buy it except to update that material, if you have the material?

Then I think we'll probably see the next lowest-effort option, which is to utterly spam both the races and monsters by adding separate new versions of each. Though we might see some sort of hybrid, depending on which is easier to update, like maybe the races don't get extra versions, just replaced, but the monsters do?

If they do just replace the whole lot I suspect an awful lot of people will be looking for refunds. I notice that MotM is no cheaper if you already have all the material its updating (just tried pre-ordering it for myself, there's no discount shown), which obviously makes sense with a physical book, but not so much with a digital one.

Remove ads

Remove ads