D&D 5E D&D Beyond Offers A Free Baldur's Gate Gazetteer

A sizable lore-based gazetteer with some rules content.

638254794193165644.jpeg

In Baldur’s Gate, thievery, blackmail, and illegal trade runs rampant. Now you can journey to this dangerous city of the Sword Coast with the Baldur’s Gate Gazetteer. Learn about each of the city’s districts and key locations and people, and unlock backgrounds for your next Baldurian character!

The Gazetter includes:
  • History of Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate Today
  • Government
  • Citizenry
  • Economy and Trade
  • Religion
  • Dangers in Baldur's Gate
  • City Landmarks
  • Upper City
  • Lower City
  • Outer City
  • Beyond Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate Character Backgrounds
  • Dark Secrets
The Gazetteer is quite sizable, and mainly lore-based, with two new NPC stat blocks (Nine-Fingers Keene, and Rilasa Real), some random encounter tables, and information on how the regular D&D character backgrounds fit in. There's also a new background, the Faceless. Finally there are some rules about 'Dark Secrets' which are a background element which the party shares.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
The D&DNext adventure Murder in Baldurs Gate came with a really useful DM screen for running the city. It'd be really cool if they offered that as a PDF so you could make your own screen. I think the gazetter that came with that adventure is pretty close to this gazetter. I love Baldurs Gate. BG1 holds a special place in my heart. I put my own spin on the city and give it a New Orleans vibe. I live roughly 3 hours from New Orleans so I've been able to visit a lot throughout my life, it really helps me bring BG to life at the table.
I have it, the screen alone is worth the purchase price. Mike Schley did most of the art. The map on it is huge (facing outside) and has breakdown of locations and even a couple of shop name and NPC name generators, and the booklets inside does a really good job of describing the city and undercellar

The lost of the smaller pre-packaged module they had during Next in the greatest of 5e tragedies.

A DM pamphlet with the adventure, a pamphlet with the DM notes and monsters, a lore gazetteer for the players and soft Dmscreen that double as a folio to hold all of that together? I was perfect.

I would probably not be profitable for WotC to do those products nowadays with print cost and all that, though.
I hoped that was going to be the standard going forward. I really liked how everything was packaged together. Definitely a loss.

Weiley31

Legend
Descent into Avernus is absolutely not a BG3 tie-in, unless there are a whole lot more mind flayers and githyanki in it than I think.

And even if it were the tie-in, releasing it three years in advance makes it a failure as a tie-in.
IIRC, I think Descent into Avernus is technically a prequel to Baldur's Gate 3.
Ah, straight from the horse's mouth
"How is the storyline linked to D&D?
Baldur’s Gate 3 takes place right after the events of Descent into Avernus. The holy city of Elturel disappeared from the Forgotten Realms and descended into Avernus, the first layer of the Nine Hells. In our canon, it was saved by a party of heroes. The game is based on the 5th edition ruleset of D&D and was created closely together with Wizards of the Coast. "

From Larian.com

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'm not sure about previous edition books, but a lot of people seem to say that the 4E Neverwinter books was pretty neat.
Indeed, and it made Neverwinter a interesting place and a great adventure location instead of yet another huge city on the coast.

In my FR, I still use the Neverwinter as a city in reconstruction caught in somekind of civil cold war and a huge colony of aboleths lurking under the town. Oh, and Helm's Deep as a pretty creepy inquisitorial sanatorium for the spell-plagued!

In short, if Baldur's Gate is the equivalent of Gotham City, Neverwinter is the equivalent of Arkham city from Lovecraft's lore.

Ondath

Hero
IIRC, I think Descent into Avernus is technically a prequel to Baldur's Gate 3.
Ah, straight from the horse's mouth
"How is the storyline linked to D&D?
Baldur’s Gate 3 takes place right after the events of Descent into Avernus. The holy city of Elturel disappeared from the Forgotten Realms and descended into Avernus, the first layer of the Nine Hells. In our canon, it was saved by a party of heroes. The game is based on the 5th edition ruleset of D&D and was created closely together with Wizards of the Coast. "

From Larian.com
I think people are playing the "but technically it's touted as a prequel!" card a bit too readily, and I think @Whizbang Dustyboots has a point. You don't get a synergistic release when one product is released in 2019, and the other four years later in 2023. "WotC couldn't have accounted for Covid delays" is a silly excuse. People know AAA releases take 4-5 years at least at this point. If there were no Covid, the game would probably be released in 2022 instead of 2023. That's still too late for two products that are supposed to boost each other's sales.

Also, DiA is a terrible tie-in for Baldur's Gate 3. The story starts in Baldur's Gate just to make that connection, but then asks you to drop all your connections and plans in that city to go save another, unrelated city. There are some plot points (like neeeding to rescue Duke Ravengard) that both games use which, if experienced together, lead to a repetitive experience. This to me indicates that the book's writer team had little communication with Larian beyond the general points (such as the adventure book leading to Tiefling refugees). If Wizards wanted the book and the game to truly tie into each other, they would make sure the book's writing team and Larian worked closely together, they would keep the book's release date free-floating to make sure it'd align with the game's release. Like Whizbang says, they'd offer combo products that give you both the game and the adventure. Instead, they basically tied the story of one book they released four years ago to the game, and they did that pretty haphazardly. This isn't good brand management, and I'm baffled why people are defending WotC on this.

Honestly, this isn't the only tie-in WotC screwed up just this year. Keys From the Golden Vault has the same Absolution Council as the movie does in the beginning. That's great! I loved to see that the Dragonborn and the halfling on the council can be found as practically identical characters in the adventure Prisoner 13. But do you know who's missing? JARNATHAN! The only council member who is relevant to the movie's plot, who was well-liked by the audiences, and who was a major part of the film's marketing campaign. I'm guessing they came up with that character later during the production and couldn't add it to the book, but that's the kind of tie-in opportunity that they seem to keep missing.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
Keys From the Golden Vault has the same Absolution Council as the movie does in the beginning. That's great! I loved to see that the Dragonborn and the halfling on the council can be found as practically identical characters in the adventure Prisoner 13. But do you know who's missing? JARNATHAN!
Jarnathan is on the Absolution Council in this adventure . . . . it's just that he's always late and the other counselors were tired of waiting for him . . . .

PERFECT MOVIE TIE-IN!!!

Remove ads

Remove ads