D&D 5E D&D Beyond Previews Flying Pigs, Space Hamsters, And More!

WotC has previewed a few Spelljammer monsters over on D&D Beyond, including Scavvers, Space Eels, Space Hamsters, Space Mollymawks, and Space Swine. Scavvers are 10-ft space sharks, space eels are ethereal serpentine critters, the infamous space hamsters ar about the size of a bear, space mollyhawks are birds which travel in flocks, and space swine are winged boars. Yup, flying pigs...

WotC has previewed a few Spelljammer monsters over on D&D Beyond, including Scavvers, Space Eels, Space Hamsters, Space Mollymawks, and Space Swine.

Scavvers are 10-ft space sharks, space eels are ethereal serpentine critters, the infamous space hamsters ar about the size of a bear, space mollyhawks are birds which travel in flocks, and space swine are winged boars. Yup, flying pigs.

space-hamster.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We played it straight back in the day. I think over the years the siller elements recieve the lime light and skew perception but the modules put out for it were serious with topics like genocide and slavery.

It would be like if Starwars only leaned into the Ewoks and slap stick elements.
If you played Spelljammwr straight, you did so ignoring much of the text and art as laid out. It was intentionally and ostentatious campy. Making serious Spelljammer would be like making Ravenloft without horror elements.

Oofta

Legend
Now I have got a question. If Hasbro wanted to produce an animated serie based in Spelljammer, where would be broadcasted, in Netflix, with Transformers(cartoon) and My Little Pony, or by Paramount+?

* Spelljammer is going to be unlocked soon in DM Guild. You can guess the crazy and awesome ideas by the 3PPs.
I have a quick clip from a show. Put it in a spoiler for people that like surprises

the muppets have you seen my childhood GIF

a.everett1287

Explorer
We played it straight back in the day. I think over the years the siller elements recieve the lime light and skew perception but the modules put out for it were serious with topics like genocide and slavery.

It would be like if Starwars only leaned into the Ewoks and slap stick elements.
.... How?

How could you have played it any straighter that what we've currently seen allows? I don't get it.

Stormonu

Legend
.... How?

How could you have played it any straighter that what we've currently seen allows? I don't get it.
Oh, you can play it very straight, even horrifying. The funny stuff is actually only a small, ignorable portion.

Jammer leeches drive you mad. Space Scavvers get as big and ferocious as Jaws. Astereaters hide amid ore-laden asteroid fields to consume unwary miners. Orcs use horrid rituals to create Witchlight Marauders to raid space colonies. Elvin Navy moth ships forcibly board trading ships to search for contraband, while gith pirates lurk to steal your cargo and Neogi conspire to sell you into slavery when you can’t pay for the cargo you lost.

And hiding somewhere in the dark between stars wait the Nautaloids - doing who knows what as they bide their time for darkness to fall across worlds.

a.everett1287

Explorer
Oh, you can play it very straight, even horrifying. The funny stuff is actually only a small, ignorable portion.

Jammer leeches drive you mad. Space Scavvers get as big and ferocious as Jaws. Astereaters hide amid ore-laden asteroid fields to consume unwary miners. Orcs use horrid rituals to create Witchlight Marauders to raid space colonies. Elvin moth ships forcibly board trading ships to search for contraband, while gith pirates lurk to steal your cargo and Neogi conspire to sell you into slavery when you can’t pay for the cargo you lost.

And hiding somewhere in the dark between stars wait the Nautaloids - doing who knows what as they bide their time for darkness to fall across worlds.
Right, but my point is that we don't really have the information to say this iteration can't be played as straightforward

Stormonu

Legend
Right, but my point is that we don't really have the information to say this iteration can't be played as straightforward
Yes, we do. In the video in the first link, Chris Perkins talks about ”playing it straight”, as explorers, as an Eldritch horror sort of game. ….or going the other direction and embracing the camp.

Last edited:

a.everett1287

Explorer
Yes, we do. In the video in the first link, Chris Perkins talks about ”playing it straight”, as explorers, as an Eldritch horror sort of game. ….or going the other direction and embracing the camp.

I think we are in agreement then? I wasn't arguing that the setting can't be played straight, I'm arguing the opposite.

I probably am not really stating my opinion correctly, in that case. I apologize for that

Remove ads

Remove ads