D&D 5E D&D Beyond Previews Flying Pigs, Space Hamsters, And More!

WotC has previewed a few Spelljammer monsters over on D&D Beyond, including Scavvers, Space Eels, Space Hamsters, Space Mollymawks, and Space Swine. Scavvers are 10-ft space sharks, space eels are ethereal serpentine critters, the infamous space hamsters ar about the size of a bear, space mollyhawks are birds which travel in flocks, and space swine are winged boars. Yup, flying pigs...

WotC has previewed a few Spelljammer monsters over on D&D Beyond, including Scavvers, Space Eels, Space Hamsters, Space Mollymawks, and Space Swine.

Scavvers are 10-ft space sharks, space eels are ethereal serpentine critters, the infamous space hamsters ar about the size of a bear, space mollyhawks are birds which travel in flocks, and space swine are winged boars. Yup, flying pigs.

space-hamster.jpg

Jaeger

That someone better
I was hoping for serious or at least not full wackadoodle. I'm not saying the is WG7 Castle Greyhawk slap in the face bad, but I could have gone with a more serious tone.

Looks like I will be writing my own setting stuff.

They toned down Ravenloft - so highlighting the wacky seems par for the WotC course these days...

If mining nostalgia to generate enthusiasm was the goal, Dark Sun, Drangonlance, Greyhawk or even a re-vamped Oriental adventures all sold better and had wider followings than Spelljammer...

It's probably just me, but if you are going to go with one of the lesser setting options in your back catalogue to refurbish: One would think you would take the opportunity to excise the space hamsters and assorted wackadoodle from the setting - not double down on it...

Faolyn

(she/her)
I’ve never even picked up a Spelljammer book… are these for real? Or is it August Fools or something?
They're real. In the original Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium where the flying pigs debuted, it was mentioned that they were raised for their meat... "SpaHam" (space ham)

Spelljammer is pretty much the definition of Crack Treated Seriously.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
It's probably just me, but if you are going to go with one of the lesser setting options in your back catalogue to refurbish: One would think you would take the opportunity to excise the space hamsters and assorted wackadoodle from the setting - not double down on it...
The space hamsters and the goofy stuff is what people remember from Spelljammer. The thing to consider about Spelljammer is that, people don't remember the setting. They remember parts of the setting, the space hamsters, the goofy stuff, the fun. They remember one around as a proto-Sigil and a fourth-wall breaking beholder who has seen beyond the veil, gazed into the true shape of the universe, and has gained infinite knowledge as a result. People remember there's a Planet of the Tarrasques, absolutely chock full of them (But they're chill over there, something about other world makes them aggressive)

People don't remember the massive list of planets that came along with Spelljammer that were 90% "You could drop this in as an island somewhere and it would be absolutely no different" and 10% "I dunno, you can go to the sun now or something". People weren't calling for a return of the Elven Navy

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If you played Spelljammwr straight, you did so ignoring much of the text and art as laid out. It was intentionally and ostentatious campy. Making serious Spelljammer would be like making Ravenloft without horror elements.
I disagree. Spelljammer is D&D in space, with everything that entails. It is not predominantly campy by default (although of course you can lean into it).

Remove ads

Remove ads