Spelljammer D&D Direct Live Report: 9am PDT (5pm BST) SPELLJAMMER CONFIRMED! DRAGONLANCE!

D&D Direct, WotC's new video-format announcement show launches today at 9am PDT (5pm BST). If you aren't able to watch it, I'll be updating this article live. Feel free to comment below! Once it launches, you will need to refresh this page when you want to see new updates. The video is expected to last about 30 minutes. If you CAN watch it, you'll find it on YouTube or Twitch at the above...

D&D Direct, WotC's new video-format announcement show launches today at 9am PDT (5pm BST). If you aren't able to watch it, I'll be updating this article live. Feel free to comment below! Once it launches, you will need to refresh this page when you want to see new updates. The video is expected to last about 30 minutes.

If you CAN watch it, you'll find it on YouTube or Twitch at the above times. Otherwise, follow along below!
  • 45 mins to go. Live updates incoming!
  • 30 mins to go!
  • 5 minutes to go!
  • Here we go! Opens with a sea shanty.
  • Forgive typos. They talk fast and I can't type.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.07.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.46.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.00.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.00.51 PM.png

• Spelljammer is confirmed!
  • They talk REALLY FAST!
  • Spelljammer Adventures in Space, project lead Chris Perkins, Trystan Falcone graphic designer
  • Cities built on asteroids, dead gods floating in the ether
  • 6 races---astral elves, autognomes, hedozi(?), gif, plasmoids, thri-kreen
  • 3 hardcovers in a slipcase: Astral Adventurers Guide, Boo's Astral Menagerie, Light of Xaryxis adventure
  • Prequel adventure in July
  • Wizkids miniatures
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.03.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.05.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.07.43 PM.png

Other stuff also discussed!
  • Baldur's Gate 3 CRPG preview video (game is in 2023)
  • Journeys Through Radiant Citadel intro video -- 3 of the adventures are: Wages of Vice (5th level), Caribbean; Orchids of the Invisible Mountain (14th level), feywild, far realm, Whistler new monster; Fiend of Hollow Mind (4th level), skeletons and spirits
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.14.29 PM.png

• "Campaign Cases" -- Creature tokens! Terrain tiles! July!
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.15.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.16.23 PM.png

D&D Movie directors now onscreen. The movie in March 2023 is called HONOR AMONG THIEVES.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.17.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.18.14 PM.png

• New D&D starter set. Comes with 'digital onboarding'. Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. We knew about that one.
  • D&D digital monstrous compendium. Available to those with WoTC or D&D Beyond Accounts. Volume 1 has an eldritch lich and the 10 legged asteroid spider. And the starlancer. Might have misheard some of that!
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.19.48 PM.png

• MMO Neverwinter video. Dragonslayer begins June 2022. (I wonder if they'll need a dragonance for that?)
  • New D&D actual play video, Legends of the Multiverse. Lots of 80s cartoon style soft rock music. Boo is in it.
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.24.38 PM.png

WIzKids skirmish game D&D Onslaught. October

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.25.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.26.20 PM.png

Finally -- DRAGONLANCE WARRIORS OF KRYNN! SHADOW OF THE DRAGON QUEEN!

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.27.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.27.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 5.28.25 PM.png

Spelljammer will be a future colab in Fortnite. Here a plasmoid as skin.

fortnite-outfit-rippley-vs-sludge-1-816x853.jpg

Do you really want to play with plasmoid PCs?

What about "plasmiid pets" as simbiont crafts?

89.png

(or worse, your lover dies and she is reincarnated into a plasmoid)

9e6b0a1ed5a999c3b2e7104d8c0055d6.jpg

It is strange but I love that retro touch in the promotion of Spelljammer. If WotC plays well their cards, Star Trek and Star Wars should worry about the arrival of a new rival. I say it seriously.

Maybe in some zones the astral sea and the wildspace are the same.

---

Maybe Dragonlance needs spin-off. Taladas has got a great potential. We don't know if the new novels can create an alternate timeline or reboot.

In the past I said Birthright was the right setting for a D&D strategy videogame, but I guess Dragonlance has got more potential as brand.

How can we know Dragonlance to be popular again? When fandom starts to create their fanart/fanfiction and homebreed ideas.

---

What about solar, moon, stelar dragonborns?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Literally no benefit on digital, and that's only arguably a benefit to a tiny minority of groups with badly behaved players. Pretty ludicrous argument imho.
Well no, now you're judging your peers unfairly. Players having a player book in front of them means the DM can separately have the DM books in front of them simultaneously. There is large utility, for me at least, in having the monster book open simultaneous with the adventure book open. All of this is very high utility for me. If it doesn't have high utility for you, fair enough. But you calling this an "insult" and now saying anyone who likes it is a "tiny minority" with "badly behaved players" seems a few steps beyond fair decorum here. I mean, take a step back and imagine for a moment that other tables use books differently than do you, perhaps?

Also I saw you mention earlier about inflation. Inflation just jumped high in a few short months. "The annual inflation rate in the US accelerated to 8.5% in March of 2022, the highest since December of 1981 from 7.9% in February and compared with market forecasts of 8.4%." My company just saw a 150% increase in shipping costs and a 30% increase in whole pricing on our products, in ONE MONTH. Inflation is a real thing right now - and happening in a very dramatic and rapid fashion.

Last edited:

Good for you. You said that. A lot. 🤪 we can also point out that this isn’t a good look for a game that was once inexpensive entertainment that is quickly becoming a luxury product that few will be able to really get into as they (WOTC) do promote a collector mentality as a part of the culture and have developed an iterative approach to updating rules giving an impression that you need to buy the next thing to keep up with “official rules”. So while the escalating costs of the hobby are fine with you, Sally and Billy might not be able to get into the game because of the escalating costs.
If you think Sally and Billy are going to rush out to buy a Spelljammer slipcase over a starter set or maybe the core book slipcase just because they have some impression you’ve projected onto them that they’re going to feel the need to buy 8 years worth of books just to play. Unless they have a yen for tall ships or space, they’re not gonna be the target market for this. Hell, most players don’t buy that many books at all because a large amount of the material out there just isn’t player facing. It’s adventures, some of which sometimes have a small bit of player content.

As for your commentary on my saying I’m okay with the format a lot, I don’t see you equally chiding Ruins for his constant chorus of “rip-off.” So it’s clearly not frequency of stating opinion you have an issue with so much as you think my opinion is wrong and it’s annoying you.

You wanna talk luxury hobby prices? This isn’t Warhammer, man. The prices have maintained stability here for years despite rising print costs and the first time they take a slight uptick people start acting like it’s the end of the world. Would I love to pay less? Sure. Who wouldn’t? But I also lived through the glut of product releases in the 2e days too when we had like 3 new $20 books (now around $35 adjusted for inflation) every month cluttering up shelves with unsold product. One new book every few months is hardly what I’d call a luxury hobby. YMMV of course.

Remove ads

Remove ads