• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

Jaeger

That someone better
Your demands for me to support claims I haven't made are unethical

Untrue.

You keep citing streaming performance as evidence that HaT must be "doing well" on the back end.

I am merely asking you to back up your insinuation that HaT's streaming ranking = monetary success:

By providing actual streaming revenue numbers for Honor Among Thieves.

Or you can just admit that you have no way of tying actual dollars earned to those streaming chart standings, and thusly you have no way of proving, or knowing, if HaT is breaking even, let alone turning a profit.

Zardnaar

Legend
Untrue.

You keep citing streaming performance as evidence that HaT must be "doing well" on the back end.

I am merely asking you to back up your insinuation that HaT's streaming ranking = monetary success:

By providing actual streaming revenue numbers for Honor Among Thieves.

Or you can just admit that you have no way of tying actual dollars earned to those streaming chart standings, and thusly you have no way of proving, or knowing, if HaT is breaking even, let alone turning a profit.

Thus. HAT is doing well on streaming. Claiming it's doing well overall can't be backed up yet. And what we do know indicates it didn't do well.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

Words such as likely and probable do mean must.
My claim is that the streaming and Video on Demand is going extraordinarily well. That makes it likely the financial situation isn't a flop. I have offered as other evidence the fact that Paramount is expanding Honor Among Thieves availability in an era when studios are pulling shows in order to cut costs. As further evidence that the D&D movie is doing better than a flop I have written about the other indications that Paramount and Hasbro are satisfied (they didn't cancel the TV show, the relationship with Daley & Goldstein).
I have recognized the 25 million impairment while also pointing out the 74% increase in revenue for the D&D franchise while the game was only up 10-15%.
Those are my positions, so demanding that I provide financial data supporting success is dishonest.

mamba

Legend
460 1.5x2 = about 1,38 billion; shockingly close to Variety's stated break even point of 1.4 billion...
not sure what you think that shows. Break even is when you made your money back, whether at the box office or otherwise. It is not how much to have to make at the box office for VoD and streaming to be able to make up the rest.

Jaeger

That someone better
My claim is that the streaming and Video on Demand is going extraordinarily well. That makes it likely the financial situation isn't a flop.
Those are my positions, so demanding that I provide financial data supporting success is dishonest.

Untrue.

When others were saying that HaT was on track to be a flop at the box office; they were told that without actual numbers they were just speculating, making things up, etc,...

Demand for the actual box office numbers to back up assertions was constant.

So either admit you are just speculating based on ranking data that has no correlation to actual revenue...

Or cite the actual streaming revenue numbers to at least back up the assertion that the films 'streaming success': "makes it likely the financial situation isn't a flop."

Last edited:

codo

Hero
Untrue.

When others were saying that HaT was on track to be a flop at the box office; they were told that without actual numbers they were just speculating, making things up, etc,...

Demand for the actual box office numbers to back up assertions was constant.

So either admit you are just speculating based on ranking data that has no correlation to actual revenue...

Or cite the actual streaming revenue numbers to at least back up the assertion that the films 'streaming success': "makes it likely the financial situation isn't a flop."
Nobody has any real data on streaming revenue, because the industry refuses to share it. We do know that they are makings tons of money off streaming. The best evidence for this is the film industry is willing to completely shut down film and tv production, rather than just share that information.

Seriously they would rather WGA and SAG go on strike for months, shutting down the entire industry, instead of just sharing streaming data. If they are willing to lose billions of dollars instead of being open and transparent, you know they are making an obsence amount of money on streaming, that they are not willing to share.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
Folks, please dial down the DEMANDS and other forms of aggression.

We lack some hard data. That means EVERYONE is using opinions. If you cannot deal with that without getting in people's faces, that's about you, not about the evidence, or lack thereof.

Jaeger

That someone better
Nobody has any real data on streaming revenue, because the industry refuses to share it. We do know that they are makings tons of money off streaming. The best evidence for this is the film industry is willing to completely shut down film and tv production, rather than just share that information.

Exactly.

Which is why drawing conclusions on how "well" a particular film may or may not be doing from other VoD/Streaming metrics without that information is nothing but pure speculation.

Zardnaar

Legend
Exactly.

Which is why drawing conclusions on how "well" a particular film may or may not be doing from other VoD/Streaming metrics without that information is nothing but pure speculation.

Suspect if they opened the books it's not to hide their income from artists but more investors.

Uber approach set money on fire until you can turn a profit.

I don't think the strike will achieve much or if they do law of unintended consequences. "Yay we got residuals why did all our shows get canceled"?

codo

Hero
Exactly.

We do know that D&D HAT is doing extremely well in streaming. It is still cracking the top 10 streaming movies, even months after release. We also know the film industry is willing to fight tooth and nail to prevent showing streaming revenue. They are willing to shut down the entire film industry to not have to show people. Do you think that they would be willing to loose billions, potentially 10s or 100s of billions, if the streaming revenue wasn't worth much more than that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads