D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Moves Forward With Deal With Former Marvel Exec Jeremy Latcham

Inanity

Explorer
Hoping it is actually a good movie is the real trick, and I'm looking forward to it.

Although the movie "Dungeons and Dragons" does have one of the most hilariously epic scenes:

Damodar's Turn: stabs and kills Snails

Ridley's turn is up: Decides to use action(s) to drop prone and scream in agony...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What's the budget on a Youtube video. I get the impression that a lot of those are on a very shoestring budget. And while they're generally not up to the quality of a feature film a lot of them are up to the quality of a commercial or a b-movie

They are not. If you show a youtube video on a full sized television, much less a full size movie screen, it will not look the same quality at all. Nor is it for the same purpose, or carrying the same responsibilities. Regardless, all you need to do is go watch a professional television or movie being made to see the shocking enormity of the effort to make it happen.

They could go both meta and have the running storyline.

No. A "running storyline" is not the same thing as a shared universe. A shared universe has different stories with different characters, different tones, sub-genres, and different (but connected) settings. But benefiting from shared world-building and branding. A shared universe is a much more flexible and powerful filmic tool, and the last thing you want is for any movie in the shared universe to say "you know, this setting isn't real". People have to buy into the setting completely.

slobster

Hero
No. A "running storyline" is not the same thing as a shared universe. A shared universe has different stories with different characters, different tones, sub-genres, and different (but connected) settings. But benefiting from shared world-building and branding. A shared universe is a much more flexible and powerful filmic tool, and the last thing you want is for any movie in the shared universe to say "you know, this setting isn't real". People have to buy into the setting completely.
I dont know, using the Lego movie again it was clear that the first movie was very interested in both the story of the Lego characters, but also in exploring lego as a toy that appeals across generations. Lego Batman really cared about the title character and his adventure, and didn't touch on the meta aspect much except by having canon-spanning villains. It could work.

Not saying it HAS to be this way, of course. But I dont think its impossible!

I'd say it's still somehow the best movie adaptation of Beowulf, too.

13th warrior is the best D&D movie.

I do wonder if they're still planning the Hasbro cinematic universe that was floated years ago. You know, where we get G.I. Joe, Transformers, ROM, and the Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, I don't know, facing off against Tiamat.

Chaosmancer

Legend
They are not. If you show a youtube video on a full sized television, much less a full size movie screen, it will not look the same quality at all. Nor is it for the same purpose, or carrying the same responsibilities. Regardless, all you need to do is go watch a professional television or movie being made to see the shocking enormity of the effort to make it happen.

I want to also add for @Bohandas that some youtube videos are made on shoe-string budgets, but they also tend to have a lot of videos that have only a single person or a very small team involved.

Take a streamer like Jacksepticeye, and they have likely dropped close to a grand or two on equipment and software and the games they play, but then the actual "filming" is them in their single booth, and they don't need to pay themselves a set amount, just what is left, and they can spend days or even weeks editing a video and reshooting, and if they run into problems, well, they are only dealing with themselves or a small group.

Take any movie on IMbD and you already just from the cast pages have dozens of named roles. Plus you had to pay all the extras, plus pay for the location, those three to five minutes of credits at the end of the movie is really just a list of all the people who were involved. You can make do with less, but people rarely do.

Traycor

Explorer
If Hasbro wants to go big, maybe they'll analyze the history of the franchise and decide that the Baldur's Gate games are a high point in popularity. They might start adapting those stories/characters. Minsc and Boo certainly have a Drax/Groot/Guardians type of feel.

Remove ads