D&D 5E D&D Mythic Odysseys of Theros Previews!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.14.05 AM.png

Mythic actions turn the monster into the metaphor it represents. So, for example, Scylla and Charybdis transform into a rocky channel and a whirlpool, Godzilla turns into an atomic bomb, etc.

Mythic actions turn the monster into the metaphor it represents. So, for example, Scylla and Charybdis transform into a rocky channel and a whirlpool, Godzilla turns into an atomic bomb, etc.

And a kobold turns into a mining disaster, a golem turns into a medieval fear that Jews might use their Secret Un-Christian Knowledge[tm] to get revenge for pogroms, and a mimic turns into Gary Gygax giving his playing group the finger as he tears up another fistful of character sheets?

And I suppose a succubus turns into the Woman Who Made Me Do All Those Bad Things, It Wasn't My Fault, Really It Was Hers...

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
They are shewing Mythic monsters now.
Apparently, though they didn't really cover it on stream, two of the mythic monsters have mythic abilities that function at 0 hp,
According to Reddit, the kraken has its carapace broken open revealing it's hearts that you need to destroy (AC 20, 100 hp, immunity to nonmagic damage) to actually kill it. The spider lady immediately gains 200 hp and 100 temp HP as her children sacrifice themselves to revitalize her.
All of which sounds excellent as! And excellently mythic.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Apparently, though they didn't really cover it on stream, two of the mythic monsters have mythic abilities that function at 0 hp,
According to Reddit, the kraken has its carapace broken open revealing it's hearts that you need to destroy (AC 20, 100 hp, immunity to nonmagic damage) to actually kill it. The spider lady immediately gains 200 hp and 100 temp HP as her children sacrifice themselves to revitalize her.

So the Kraken isn't just a reprint of stats from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes? I hope it at least has a slightly different name, like "Kraken, Mythic" or something.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So the Kraken isn't just a reprint of stats from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes? I hope it at least has a slightly different name, like "Kraken, Mythic" or something.

The Fantasy Grounds preview showed a monster called a "Theran Chimera" so they are definitely redoing mosnter types that are significantly different than the standard D&D representation.

Heck, just see Satyrs, Minotaurs and Centaurs.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I love the spider one. I have used legendary actions and reactions like that with several of my legendary creatures, along with the occasional secret undead enemy who reveals their undead nature at 0hp.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads