D&D 5E D&D Mythic Odysseys of Theros Previews!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.14.05 AM.png

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
If anyone is interested, here's SteelySam screenshotting pictures (with editing for clarity) from the official Wizards Twitch Stream on the upcoming Mythic Odysseys of Theros book, it does contain spoilers but unfortunately there's a fair bit of cut off, the spoilers shown are pretty interesting (he uses them as talking points in the video), but if you want to be pleasantly surprised by the book best not to watch it :)

I am liking the Leonin been +2 Con +1 Str, 35 ft speed and claws. Also, like the lady Leonin art. That Iconoclast supernatural gift sounds very good. It piqued my interest a lot. Thx for sharing the video.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If that's the case, then it suggests to me that Dark Sun will have Psi Knight, Soulknife, and Psionic Soul, and that's it. @___@

Depends on the testing. They put out a good dozen Subclasses that in retrospect were clearly for Theros (the ones before the variant Class and Psionics tests last year), and two made it past testing. More could have, but didn't. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
I am liking the Leonin been +2 Con +1 Str, 35 ft speed and claws. Also, like the lady Leonin art. That Iconoclast supernatural gift sounds very good. It piqued my interest a lot. Thx for sharing the video.
No worries, thanks heaps for sharing the table of contents! That bestiary in particular is looking wondrous, I'm looking forward to everything about the book.

As the proverbial icing, this illustration cemented this book as a must-buy
ESrY98_X0AANPUf.jpg

Ravenbrook

Explorer
No worries, thanks heaps for sharing the table of contents! That bestiary in particular is looking wondrous, I'm looking forward to everything about the book.

Yeah, but satyrs don't need clothes, except in prudish American publications.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Just took another look; I could have sworn there was talk in the past months of them reprinting Forge and Grave Domains from Xanathar's in this book to support some of the Therosian deities. I guess WotC are treating some rules expansions like XGE as essential books now, rather than reprinting their content as needed by the setting… of course, doesn't explain why parts of VGM was reprinted in EGW and E:RLW, though…

View attachment 122412
Finally a death to the strict sexual dimorphism of Satyrs and Hamadryads.

Depends on the testing. They put out a good dozen Subclasses that in retrospect were clearly for Theros (the ones before the variant Class and Psionics tests last year), and two made it past testing. More could have, but didn't. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Just because College of Eloquence and Oath of Heroism Glory made it into MOT, and just because we know Onomancy is dead and Aberrant Mind was reworked into Psionic Soul, The Revived into Phantom, and the Noble Genie into the Genie doesn't mean the rest of those UA subclasses are dead. In fact, if anything, the reworking of a clearly Therosian concept of "The Revived" Rogue into a more general death & soulstealing Phantom Rogue (could fit the Faceless Men of GOT, for example), suggests that some if not many of these subclasses are still en-route to another book. Jeremy Crawford made it very clear in the latest Dragon+ yt video that lack of revisiting could mean EITHER the UA was scrapped or the UA was mostly solid and is being finalized for a future book.

If there's a so-called "Xanathar's 2" this Fall - perhaps tied thematically to Planescape without being a full setting book - I'd expect 2-4 subclasses PER Class; We're getting too late into the year to playtest subclasses for such a book for the first time.

I'd expect beyond the two that ended up in Theros, we'd see the following in a non-setting expanded-rules book later this year (VGM, XGE, timing) or early next year (MTF, GOS timing):

Artificer:
  • Base Class features (non-setting reprint)
  • Alchemist (reprint)
  • Armorer
  • Artillerist (reprint)
  • Battle Smith (reprint)
[I expect one of the non-Armorer subclasses to be dropped and left as Eberron-only, though]
Barbarian:
  • Path of the Beast
  • Path of the Wild Soul
  • MAYBE a Battle-Rager reprint
Bard:
  • College of Creation
  • I don't know what else. College of Eloquence is too recent to reprint. They wouldn't reprint XGE subclasses, methinks.
Cleric:
  • Twilight Domain
  • Unity Domain
  • MAYBE an Order Domain reprint?
Druid:
  • Circle of the Stars (locked in per Crawford)
  • Circle of Wildfire
  • MAYBE a Circle of Spores reprint?
Fighter:
  • Rune Knight
  • Banneret reprint would be awesome, focusing on the non-Realms lore for what was called Purple Dragon Knight in SCAG
  • Echo Knight too recent to reprint, methinks
  • MAYBE Psi Knight? I'm thinking Dark Sun might have reprints for these classes, while giving them here would allow other settings to use them.
Monk:
  • Way of the Astral Self
  • Way of Mercy
  • MAYBE a Long Death reprint.
Paladin:
  • Oath of the Crown reprint
  • Oath of the Watchers
Ranger:
  • Variant Class Features
  • Fey Wanderer
  • Swarmkeeper
Rogue:
  • Phantom
  • Soulknife for same reasons as Psi Knight above.
Sorcerer:
  • Clockwork Soul a shoe-in for Planescape
  • Psionic Soul for same reasons above.
Warlock:
  • Pact of the Talisman
  • Patron: The Lurker in the Deep
  • Patron: The Genie
  • MAYBE a Patron: The Undying reprint
Wizard:
  • Order of Scribes
  • Bladesinging reprint
  • Graviturgy and Chronurgy too recent to reprint, methinks…

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads