D&D 5E D&D Mythic Odysseys of Theros Previews!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Mythic Odysseys of Theros may have been delayed until the end of July for most of us, but Fantasy Grounds has revealed some (undoubtedly specially approved) previews for us to look at in the meantime!

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.13.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 1.14.05 AM.png

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
That could be interesting, but Ixalan is a "6" on the Rabiah Scale for Magic returning to that Setting (Mark Rosewater describes that as "We need to find the right place to bring it back, but I'm a little less optimistic").

I wouldn't bet on it anytime soon...
That's no worries, it just means it's an opportunity for a third-party to create something of that nature, I may just actually get off my arse and write out a thoroughly dangerous, fantastical jungle setting!

slobster

Hero
That's no worries, it just means it's an opportunity for a third-party to create something of that nature, I may just actually get off my arse and write out a thoroughly dangerous, fantastical jungle setting!
There is Chult from FR, Maztica also from FR that also has plenty of Mesoamerican flavor, and Xen'drick from Eberron which is also a fantastical jungle adventure setting in a land where forerunner civilizations have mostly been long lost to the wilds.

I mean none of them have dinosaur riding warrior poets fighting goblin and siren pirates fighting vampire conquistadors, so I'd still be interested in an Ixalan setting, but there are other options if the dangerous jungle thing is really your jam.

Aldarc

Legend
Nope, he was on the 5E development team (his focus was on creating the default Setting Bible for all the Races and Monsters), and was the lead writer of the current DMG (check the credits).

After 5E was ready to ship, he wanted to be involved in world building, and M:tG was hearing into overdrive for making new Settings. Which put him in place to complete the M:tG/D&D crossover.
That's actually a relief. So clearly as an ignoramus, what new settings has Wyatt helped generate for M:tG?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's actually a relief. So clearly as an ignoramus, what new settings has Wyatt helped generate for M:tG?

He's worked on everything they've done since at least Zendikar: I don't know every detail of each Setting, and they are all collaborative projects, but Ixalan was the first all-new Setting that Wyatt had a lead role in developing. He was quite proud of it on Twitter at the time it came out.

His "Art of Magic the Gathering" books are seriously cool, and worth a gander. His mission while making them was to create system-agnostic campaign setting guides, and they are quite impressive artifacts.

Ampolitor

Explorer
it is all on the internet if you need to see it, anyway I just wish they would drop all of the Magic stuff and put out books like Planescape, Birthright, or Dark Sun.

Aldarc

Legend
He's worked on everything they've done since at least Zendikar: I don't know every detail of each Setting, and they are all collaborative projects, but Ixalan was the first all-new Setting that Wyatt had a lead role in developing. He was quite proud of it on Twitter at the time it came out.

His "Art of Magic the Gathering" books are seriously cool, and worth a gander. His mission while making them was to create system-agnostic campaign setting guides, and they are quite impressive artifacts.
The Dinotopia one? Neat. That would also be a fun setting, though I suppose that Chult exists. But a lot of M:tG settings have sleeker aesthetics than a lot of D&D ones, except maybe Eberron. Sure Dark Sun and Planescape look cool, but their aesthetics also feel rooted in their times.

Edit: No disrespect to these older settings that I love. Just that from an art direction perspective, I can definitely see why WotC would favor a lot of M:tG settings for D&D conversion.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The Dinotopia one? Neat. That would also be a fun setting, though I suppose that Chult exists. But a lot of M:tG settings have sleeker aesthetics than a lot of D&D ones, except maybe Eberron. Sure Dark Sun and Planescape look cool, but their aesthetics also feel rooted in their times.

Edit: No disrespect to these older settings that I love. Just that from an art direction perspective, I can definitely see why WotC would favor a lot of M:tG settings for D&D conversion.

Ixalan isn't bad, but if they revisit it they should expand to include the other regions, chiefly the land where the Vampire Conquistadors are from.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads