D&D 5E D&D needs Mouseguard/BW style Goals etc.

Never seen an RPG that encourages player driven stories as much as Burning Wheel does. Having the Character's goals and such mechanically supported within the system's framework brings them to the forefront of the game. This has the added bonus of focusing campaign events on the PCs, not the GMs plot railroad.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I find that such mechanics slow things down more than they add to the experience, but goals aren’t as bad as the other widgets that add to rolls and thus constantly get discussed when we should be just resolving the damned action and moving on.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I’ll have to look into how Burning Wheel/Mouseguard does this. I’ve been trying to do this using D&D’s personal characteristics, i.e. personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws, and inspiration, but I’m finding some of the characteristics don’t evoke much in the way of situation.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Never seen an RPG that encourages player driven stories as much as Burning Wheel does. Having the Character's goals and such mechanically supported within the system's framework brings them to the forefront of the game. This has the added bonus of focusing campaign events on the PCs, not the GMs plot railroad.
I am very curious, how does Burning Wheel / Mouseguard handle this?

Remove ads