• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
That is at the moment. Look it this way;

WoTC can buy an existing VTT. Upside the product is there and it splits the market but it is backed by the marketing budget of WoTC and they could probably integrate it with D&D Beyond inside a year, two tops.
I wonder if there is any data on the relative user bases of the various VTTs.
Or they could starting on the AR/VRR now, support the existing VTTs and release the AR/VR product when there is enough hardware (or cheap enough hardware) in the wild to support a market.
Others are already working. They're already late. Joe Manganiello has one in the wings.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Has there ever been a ttrpg with a mechanic that was a more glaring case of maslow's hammer?
Wow. A mechanic specifically designed to replace lots of small bonuses, from all over the place and your complaint is that it is used all over the place to replace small bonuses.

And yes, when 5e came out there was a lot of praise about how it was an interesting new mechanic that was able to clear up this existing problem, so it is also a counterpoint to Micah's complaint that they don't dare do new mechanics.

I don't feel a lot of enthusiasm about the idea of a new edition. I have to await a lot of years to can buy the translated books, and the candence was very slow. The last 5e sourcebook published in Spanish languange is the Van Ritchen's guide of Ravenloft, and we have to await the sourcebooks about Tasha and Moderkainen's Multiverse.

Is really necessary a 5.5 Ed? What if I don't like the changes?

I would rather to collect corebooks about new PC races, classes and monsters. I don't miss the crunch about subclasses, feats, spells and magic item.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Wow. A mechanic specifically designed to replace lots of small bonuses, from all over the place and your complaint is that it is used all over the place to replace small bonuses.

And yes, when 5e came out there was a lot of praise about how it was an interesting new mechanic that was able to clear up this existing problem, so it is also a counterpoint to Micah's complaint that they don't dare do new mechanics.
It's weird that no one complains when another system is designed with a very tight core mechanic (dice pool success counting, for example) and uses it for everything, but then complains when D&D does, even though the same people likely praised 3E exactly for bringing in a core mechanic.
Gamers are a weird lot.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

They didn't replace those though, they just used advantage everywhere else and pretended there weren't a bunch of places +N things existed while stripping the rules that helped support depth & nuance for +N.

Oofta

Legend
But by that time WotC would be as far behind in VR as they are now in VTT, because they are letting everyone else create the platforms. Again, WotC may not want a VTT, and it may not be worth the trouble, but if they do, they are already late. they are probably better off purchasing one that integrates really well with Beyond already.
Maybe, maybe not. Instead they could look at other systems to see what works and what doesn't. Then hire some of the best and brightest from those companies and build from scratch knowing what works. Internal integration should be fairly straightforward* and easier to implement/secure than a public interface. Assuming they want to get into the VTT space at all. DDB was kind of unique in the sense of it's role in the marketplace.

Another option would be to just avoid building a VTT and create an official API for DDB and then crack down on apps like ROLL20 that harvest the data. Time will tell, I'm just glad I don't have to do VTT any more, even if I do think there could be a huge market for a really good, easy to use VTT.

*famous last words, a lot of it depends on if DDB was designed with APIs considered at all.

collin

Explorer
Spheres were just schools for clerics. You still had to use your slots. I am talking about eliminating Vancian altogether. I think Spell Law came out in 1980-ish?
I think you are about right. I am remembering around 1982-1983. TSR bought SPI games around that time and essentially imported the college magic system in Dragonquest as mechanic for D&D.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I wonder if there is any data on the relative user bases of the various VTTs.
Both ROll20 and FantasyGrounds used publish such data but not as far as I know in the last number of years.
Seems though that Roll20 claim some 10 million users. I cannot s find numbers for FantasyGrounds. The closest I can get are session data

Others are already working. They're already late. Joe Manganiello has one in the wings.
i personally do not care for the product that Joe is pushing. I am not particularly looking for a 3d map for D&D play or an AR app for table play. What I want is telepresence. VR representations of the players in the same virtual room that supports the any standard VTT for the tactical stuff instead of dungeon tiles or a flipmat in the real world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads