D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

(My version 2)
Detect Magic (R)(VS). For 10 min (C), you can use your action to sense the presence (& school) of magic within 30 ft. of you if it is not blocked by 1' stone, 1 ft. metal or 3 ft. of wood or dirt or hidden by invisibility.

Heck, they could ditch that last bit about what blocks it if they just make a common standard for what typically blocks divinations.

These "V2" rules could be used on Monster Stat-blocks and Character Sheets, for quicker reference. I don't think that it would be a waste of space and would (IMO) vastly improve the game's playability if it were built-in. I mean, sure, we can all make up our own, but to have a consistent, accepted version? Much better.
that looks great to me, maybe shorten it a bit like you said the 'what blocks it' but other then that aces

Mezuka

Hero
I want to roll a d20 for actions cause it's fun, explore dungeons and possibly kill dragons but I no longer want classes, nor do I want just one type of Hit Points. I've drifter too far out of what makes the core of D&D. 6e or whatever it will be called is not for me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
even that those 24 year olds who would be interested in 2024 are not now intrested in 2022 at 22? that again seems quite bad a module "We have the biggest number right now, but instead of selling them this trilogy of books we are hopeing to get MORE people"
I was being somewhat flippant, bit the reality is that the focus is always on new players and their experience. And don't underestimate the appeal of new art and layouts: a cleaned up and reorganized DMG, with all new art, would probably appeal to a large sector of veterans even with no major rules changes.
how does it prove his point. We see the archtype with story and feel come up over and over again. Pushing bladesinger, eldritch knight and hex blade alone out of there classes and into 1 as 3 subclasses alone would be a HUGE start... and agian that is taking nothing from swordmage itself.
The point is that all of those examples are a flimsy fluff justification for options driven by filling the grid of mechanical niches.

The point is that all of those examples are a flimsy fluff justification for options driven by filling the grid of mechanical niches.
if that is all you can see I am sorry, I see multi fluff and mechanic filled ideas. I see no reason NOT to have it's own class and see it as having better standing then barbarian and ranger and at least equal to sorcerer and paliden

OB1

Jedi Master
um... if they are banking new big 3 books on JUST new players I hope someone at hasbro looks at them, laughs and fires them on the spot... that is a terrible business decision. I wont say you are wrong though, they may just make a huge mistake.
Oh, they'll be happy to sell the Core 3 to existing players as well (and it will, if for nothing else than being labeled the 50AE) , it just won't be necessary to purchase them to continue playing the other 4-6 books they publish per year. The purchase of those books depends entirely on the number of people who have the compatible Core OS. They also get to continue selling the 50 existing supplements to new players, without spending a dime on development.

Instead, if they are spending minimally on development of 50AE (because they are primarily recycling popular options from existing books) as a way to make the game more appealing to new players (by including popular options that don't require purchasing several additional books right off the bat and are more appealing to a younger generation) they get to continue selling both old and new supplemental product to a large base.

On the other hand, if all of the existing product becomes obsolete with 50AE, WotC now has to sell the new Core to a large percentage of the existing base in order to continue selling new supplements at the same rate they are now. Again, we see the same thing when a new video game console hits the market. Sales for games exclusive to that console lag behind for years from the height of the previous console. It takes a huge marketing effort and a lot of patience by the console developer to make the pay off for switching consoles worth it, part of which is driven by competition from other console makers.

But D&D doesn't currently have any real competition pressure to force them to make such a radical change. Their business decision should be based on how to sell more books per year (Core plus old/new supplements). Old supplements return more margin than new ones (since their development costs have already been accounted for).

Finally, there is a lot of risk in changing the Core OS. When they switched from 3e to 4e, they lost a huge portion of market share as other companies continued to build of the 3e OS to give existing players more of what they wanted. Do they really want to risk their market share again now when the game is more popular than ever, and supplemental books continue to become top sellers with every release? That, to me, would be an insane business decision.

Maybe for you 5 Ed was published a decade ago, but for some no-English-speaker markets 5 Ed arrived later, and then a 5.5 or 6 Ed is relatively "soon". Lots of players don't want an updated player handbook, but the return of their favorite lines, or certain monsters, or crunch as classes and PC races. D&D is not like the most of TTRPGs where a corebook is enough for a new edition, but D&D are three corebooks, the PH, the DMG and the MM. It is a lot of money to be spent by teenages or young adults at university or in their first job.

My suggestion is a no D&D d20 system new game, for example Gamma World.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
if that is all you can see I am sorry, I see multi fluff and mechanic filled ideas. I see no reason NOT to have it's own class and see it as having better standing then barbarian and ranger and at least equal to sorcerer and paliden
I have never heard of anyone coming to the table asking to.play a duskblade based on a novel they read recently. Unlike, say, wanting to play Aragorn or the narrstor from Name of the Wind.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Also also also, the 5e designers and managers know what happened to sales of D&D 2e and longer term 3.5 and do not want to kill the golden goose.
I know WotC has reasons for refusing to make a clean break. I just would vastly prefer that they did, and feel their reasoning for not doing so is disingenuous and crass, since in my opinion they want to make a new game creatively, but won't for financial, got to keep your shareholders happy reasons.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads