D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I mean, I'm very skeptical that that's a decision you've made rather than down to the behaviour of your players, but not being psychic, I don't know. However I find your "It's not hard" to be a bit fatuous without you giving context.

I largely avoided it until 3E because it wasn't that advantageous and the players weren't interested. But in 3E, it became stupid not to do that, because buffs became so ridiculous and so stackable. In 4E it vanished again, because there was rarely a point. In 5E it's pretty rare (though vastly more common than 4E) because again, there's not as much point. But just saying "write around it" for 3.XE/PF1 players - not helpful.
I mostly avoided it in 3.x by threatening to expire buffs when dillydallying or just having random interruptions that made a rest in unsafe territory result in backsliding. Yea Alice the wizard could get her spell slots back after "getting a good night's sleep and spending an hour of study" while bob the cleric needs to wait till the appropriate time many hours away to spend his hour in quiet contemplation & meditative prayer. Without Leomund's invincible bunker those were very dangerous periods that can't be interrupted by a monster saying bored now & sending some guards to interrupt them at the worst time. wands of CLW were easy to limit just by declaring them out of stock or use weak AoEs/trash monsters spreading damage to suck them dry.

I too am always skeptical of GM's who think that their players not engaging in 5mwd-nova >rest>5mwd-nova is a thing mostly on the GM rather than players.

Oofta

Legend
I mean, I'm very skeptical that that's a decision you've made rather than down to the behaviour of your players, but not being psychic, I don't know. However I find your "It's not hard" to be a bit fatuous without you giving context.

I largely avoided it until 3E because it wasn't that advantageous and the players weren't interested. But in 3E, it became stupid not to do that, because buffs became so ridiculous and so stackable. In 4E it vanished again, because there was rarely a point. In 5E it's pretty rare (though vastly more common than 4E) because again, there's not as much point. But just saying "write around it" for 3.XE/PF1 players - not helpful.
It's absolutely a decision I've made, other than my wife we've had to form new groups multiple times because we moved. Not sure why you think it's hard. About the only time I didn't was high level 4E because combats could take hours. In 5E it's really simple, I just use the alternate rest rules so a long rest is a week or more.

Every once in a great while we'll have a 5 minute work day because variety (and letting casters go nova) is the spice of life. But otherwise? There's no safe place to rest, the clock keeps ticking if you stop to rest and the bad guys will get away, it's a running fight ... there must be 50 ways to leave your lover not have a 5 minute work day.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Those aren't Monks. :p

That's the problem. You're just putting the word Monk on the end of things! You might as well say "Captain America Monk" for the 10s version or "Iron Man Monk" or "Hulk Monk" (there was a Arcana Unearthed/Diamond Throne class like that amusingly) or whatever. You can't just put the word "Monk" on the end of something and make it a Monk lol. I mean it's a fun idea but...

The point is Mystical Martial Artist is the core concept. Shaolin Monk is the 1970s expression of it. I'd add "Ninja" to the '80s conception too.
Monk is just the D&D name for a Mystical MArtial Artist
Shaolin Monk
Jedi Knight maaaaybe (this crosses over hard with Psionicist note - Jedi are closer to Psionicists, especially Psychic Warriors/Psi-Knights than Monks)
Mystical Ninja
School of Hard Knocks guy (less mystical stuff, more punching - could be a Fighter instead if there was an efficient and proper way for them to drop armour and go unarmed, and no the current options are total rubbish due to WotC's completely insane paranoia about letting non-Monks fight unarmed)
Street Fighter-style mystical martial artist*

Nice Line up

* = Which would actually largely cover DBZ - DBZ is just that + being wildly overpowered lol, for DBZ make it so there are like 200 levels (all with full bonuses and HP, just extend the chart out) instead of 20 and you can go up multiple per session, or suddenly jump like 50 levels temporarily or permanently lol

I'd keep SF and DB separate to isolate the the difference of how they attack foes.
Street Fighter is about special moves with no cost that can be upgraded with ki.
DB focuses on style switching, powering up, and using costly techniques.

I wouldn't go DBZ and stay Dragon Ball. Master Roshi, Kid Goku,and Kid Krillin feel like level 15+ monks.

DBZ is epic level play, I agree.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Monk is just the D&D name for a Mystical MArtial Artist

Nice Line up

I'd keep SF and DB separate to isolate the the difference of how they attack foes.
Street Fighter is about special moves with no cost that can be upgraded with ki.
DB focuses on style switching, powering up, and using costly techniques.

I wouldn't go DBZ and stay Dragon Ball. Master Roshi, Kid Goku,and Kid Krillin feel like level 15+ monks.

DBZ is epic level play, I agree.
DBZ can only be high level, now going super Saiyan for your level 20 power would be so cool they should do it.

Horwath

Legend
The ranger should get spells known based on their favored enemies and terrain like I said 10 years ago.
That they did with Land Druid, I cannot see the reason why ranger was missed from that?
Might just give rangers spells known from Land druids lists of terrains.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Dragon sorcerer: well, a dragon ofc
Elemental sorcerer: elemental
Shadow sorcerer: shade or spectre
Aberrant mind: aberration
Clockwork soul: a construct
Wild magic: delete subclass
This would just replace several current subclasses with pet centered powers, removing much of their current themes

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That they did with Land Druid, I cannot see the reason why ranger was missed from that?
Might just give rangers spells known from Land druids lists of terrains.
Because the designers were so focused on shifting complexity to being solely a fully caster thing. And you pick favored enemies and favored terrain before to get spells.

They could have been just level 1 spells because rangers are half casters.

Remove ads

Remove ads