D&D Older Editions

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The 13th age tag is still in the current D&D section. It's a 4th edition derivative, right?
To the extent that one of its lead designers was the lead designer of 4e....I guess? But it was a joint effort of both Rob Heinsoo (4e) and Jonathan Tweet (3e). I would not call it "derived from" 4e any more than I would call Dungeon World "derived from" BD&D or AD&D even though those are explicitly references used to make it.

aco175

Legend
I cannot remember the last time I looked at a sub-thread and not just clicked on the Community button to see al the newest threads. Although, I do tend to just play 5e and not any of the older editions.

Orius

Legend
On the other hand, if the earlier editions, are what makes you tick, now you can limit yourself to that, and not be burdened by all the 5e posts.
Which is a good thing, because I have little to say about 5e. Most of the interesting stuff was being buried under that. Besides, we used to have separate sections for earlier editions here before anyway.

RavinRay

Explorer
Hmm. Not sure. They will still be plenty of crossover, as they are 95% similar.
Exactly! Now that I'm reading Fizban's Treasury of Dragons there's material there, specifically for gem dragons, that I can adapt into the full 3.5 gem dragon update I made ages ago, as well as a hypothetical 3.5 Draconomicon II that focuses on the gem dragons and Monster Manual lesser dragons.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I had to rethink how I categorized some of my recent posts and had to explain why I needed to move it in my own thread. (No need to repost everything, you can read it here). Now I keep thinking about this change.

Will the older editions get a D&D General tag for topics that aren't edition specific? Or is the tag only good for the other folder, which begs the question: Is that folder specific for 5e or D&D in general?

Ugh! So many questions... :unsure:

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I was also worried at first the change would reduce the traffic to threads related to older editions, but it seems like they’re more active. Or maybe they always were, and I never noticed because they were buried under all the 5e ones.

What exactly constitutes a variant though? Would OSR-adjacent games like WWN or SWN count?

Remove ads