D&D Older Editions

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The only complaints I've ever heard about older editions from newer players are (1) it's hard to find players willing to give them a try, and (2) it's harder to find resources and gaming material for older editions.
(1) is almost certainly true in most communities. (2), however, is not so true: between all the OSR material out there, founts of online resources such as dragonsfoot, and generally-wide availability of secondhand rulebooks and adventure modules, finding resources and materials ain't that difficult if one bothers to look.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
however, is not so true: between all the OSR material out there, founts of online resources such as dragonsfoot, and generally-wide availability of secondhand rulebooks and adventure modules, finding resources and materials ain't that difficult if one bothers to look.
Not only that. A huge part of the old TSR catalog is legally available in PDF and many products are also in POD. Furthermore, there are tons of products being produced in the OSR-sphere. I'm sure, for example, that there are more levels of mega-dungeons available than anyone will be able to play in a life-time.

Orius

Legend
The content warnings probably have little to do with it. Likely the reputation for being difficult, complex or exceedingly deadly is what keeps newer players away.

There is no thread tag for Basic/Classic, only OD&D and AD&D. That's the one that's still the most popular.
You mean most popular on ENWorld, or most being played? I assume 3.5e, 2e, and AD&D/1e/OSR are now, and have always been, played more than Basic/BECMI. I could be wrong.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Holmes Basic then B/X sold a ton, and then BECMI took it worldwide to a greater extent. That whole line sold millions. While the OSR started out with a lot of focus on 1E AD&D, in recent years B/X and its clone OSE have been the most popular variant.

Remove ads