D&D 5E D&D on Forbes

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I am onboard with the story element being at the forefront, with mechanics easy to understand and use and with rules fading into the background. While i like rules heavy mechanics rich system like 4E, i prefer rules lite system in general for RPG. And i really like that the next iteration of D&D is heading in that direction and opt to shift much of its complexity into optional modules. I just can't wait for it to be released!!

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I am onboard with the story element being at the forefront, with mechanics easy to understand and use and with rules fading into the background. While i like rules heavy mechanics rich system like 4E, i prefer rules lite system in general for RPG. And i really like that the next iteration of D&D is heading in that direction and opt to shift much of its complexity into optional modules. I just can't wait for it to be released!!

I agree, even though I'm not thrilled with some of the things in 5e I feel that it's much easier to change them in 5e than it was in 3e or 4e.

Warder

Rules light with consistant rules and the options to get into rules heavy seems the perfect solution for me.
And when you can use different modules to make the rules heavy in the parts you need for the campaign, it would be best.

Ahnehnois

First Post
What I foresee as a result of what Mearls is talking about, is that this very well could be the edition that finally takes the game mainstream rather than just a niche hobby. Places like ENWorld might find themselves innundated with new fans of the game, fans that are not the mechanics heavy connoisseurs that the majority of ENWorld seems to be (myself included). Forums like this may have to change quite a bit or at least be much more aware of the resulting clashes between newbies and grognards that are likely to occur. The long-term fans that mostly make up such sites as this may end up becoming a distinct minority...and I think that's a very good thing!:)
The problem (perhaps) that I see developing is if you end up having another distinct group of players. 5e may be what beginners go to because it's in the stores or because it's easier, but if experienced players invariably gravitate towards 3e/PF or various other games, 5e ends up being a sort of "gateway drug"; a game for beginners only that gets them started in the hobby and leads them to other things.

To be fair, this is not necessarily all bad. It's much better than the dynamic we've had the past few years. But it falls short of their stated premise of unification, which I don't see happening at this point.

NewJeffCT

First Post

I thought 4E was "light" when compared with 3.5E, but that's just my DMing style, I guess. However, both 3.5E and 4E suffered (IMHO) from combats that took far too long - especially if you had a large group of players, some of whom were inexperienced, and 3.5E was a bear to prep at higher levels. I remember back in 2E days, combats that were double the size of some of my big 3.5E combats in terms of number of combatants, but those 2E combats took 1/3 the time.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Rules light with consistant rules and the options to get into rules heavy seems the perfect solution for me.
And when you can use different modules to make the rules heavy in the parts you need for the campaign, it would be best.
I agree...for the most part. Ideally, I'd like to see a rules light version and a slightly more complex but still rules light version.

I think too many people are holding on to hope that the "complex" version will be some sort of rules beast like 3.5e or 4e. I'd like to see that even at it's most complex it never gets to about half as complex as either of those editions. I'd prefer the "complex" version to be as complicated as maybe 2e was after all its splatbooks came out.

Nymrohd

First Post
I agree...for the most part. Ideally, I'd like to see a rules light version and a slightly more complex but still rules light version.

I think too many people are holding on to hope that the "complex" version will be some sort of rules beast like 3.5e or 4e. I'd like to see that even at it's most complex it never gets to about half as complex as either of those editions. I'd prefer the "complex" version to be as complicated as maybe 2e was after all its splatbooks came out.

If you count the player's option splats; that would make it quite rule heavy indeed.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Forbes also interviewed the 13th Age guys about that game. I don't think Forbes' attention is indicative of D&D going "mainstream".

Remove ads