D&D 5E D&D on Forbes

gyor

Legend
Some interesting info. The mechanical fixation of forum members being none representive of the wider story focused playtesters is interesting.

That classes and races are down basically to tweaking is interesting and the focus is on the more complex rules elements like mass combat, social interaction, and DM stuff.

That tells me they're farther ahead then we thought.

n00bdragon

First Post
It's worth noting that Mr. Mearls states there hasn't yet been a release date decided, so it's not just that they're keeping it mum until GenCon. They straight up don't have one. I must ask, "Where's the beef?"

NewJeffCT

First Post
Interesting that Forbes is picking it up. I wonder if the success of a show like Big Bang Theory with their D&D playing geeks is making D&D more mainstream? (At least 2 episodes this past season have had a D&D game as the focus of the episode, including the season finale, and it's been part of the show since season 1.)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It's worth noting that Mr. Mearls states there hasn't yet been a release date decided, so it's not just that they're keeping it mum until GenCon. They straight up don't have one. I must ask, "Where's the beef?"

I suspect we'll be seeing (and mind you this is just my own gut feeling) a June 2014 release date. It also seems to me that since they are actually selling a preview of their rules at Gen Con, which I don't think they can tie to an NDA, they are moving into a more open playtest mode. They'll need some time to gauge the reaction to the rules in the Gen Con release, incorporate any changes they feel necessary from that and any of the NDA'd playtesters, then turn that around into a print schedule. Because of all that, I'm not sure we could expect a release date prior to the time I suggest but I also don't see how they could stretch it out much beyond that (so maybe Gen Con 2014 at the latest?). I also think they'll want to release not only core rules at that time but also some adventure and campaign setting support as well as some form of online support (I doubt they want to miss combining online support with initial release as they did in times past). All conjecture, of course.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I'm interested to see how they sell these at GenCon. At least on the currently released map of the dealer hall, WotC doesn't appear to have a display area this year to sell and promote things.

Will they be selling it in whatever hall/room they have their gaming set up in? If so that's going to be limiting the audience pretty substantially to those people already currently playing 4e to an extent, or potentially to the Magic crowd if they sell in those rooms as well. It's just odd to see them without a visible presence in the exhibit area.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm interested to see how they sell these at GenCon. At least on the currently released map of the dealer hall, WotC doesn't appear to have a display area this year to sell and promote things.

Gale Force nine is doing the pre-orders and I assume they are handling the Gen Con distribution at their booth (423).

n00bdragon

First Post
What I foresee as a result of what Mearls is talking about, is that this very well could be the edition that finally takes the game mainstream rather than just a niche hobby. Places like ENWorld might find themselves innundated with new fans of the game, fans that are not the mechanics heavy connoisseurs that the majority of ENWorld seems to be (myself included). Forums like this may have to change quite a bit or at least be much more aware of the resulting clashes between newbies and grognards that are likely to occur. The long-term fans that mostly make up such sites as this may end up becoming a distinct minority...and I think that's a very good thing!:)

I wouldn't get your hopes up that high. I think we'll all consider it a success if it just gets released period.

Remove ads