• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Still Satanic? "So my mom threw away all my D&D books..."

IronWolf

blank
Satanic as it ever was... which is not particularly Satanic, admittedly.

This. People have their misconceptions of course. And these seemed to get more attention in the 80's, but certainly not satanic. People like to blame things they don't fully understand.

I know back in the 80's the Sunday school class would question my gaming, but they also questioned the heavy metal music I listened to as well.

Yes the Care Bears, Harry Potter, and D&D are all leading us to armageddon...which as D&D has taught me will lead to a snake eating it's own tail and then rainbow explosions!

FOR RAINBOWS!!!! AND FOR SATAN!

care bear STARE!

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Just imagine what they would have thought if you were playing Al Quadim. You know, one thing I never got is why the ultra religious never thought about opening up the book and reading it (under clergical guidence is need be) before deciding if it was soul damning or not.

On the same token I'm amazed no one is complaining about the soul corrupting experience known as Farmville. After all if something could be stated as being tied to the demonic oppression it has to be a game that causes you to play it for five minutes at a time every several hour and then spend real money on things you can never own physically.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I thought this sort of thing died out in the 80's.
Nope. At least in some small towns out here in west Texas anti-D&D sentiment is alive and well, as much for fear of satanism, as for the un-macho nerdiness of it.

And last month, the Taylor, Texas school board tried to ban the D&D club, though that was for promoting violence rather than satanism-- and it sounds like the board is being reasonable about it so far. (Annoyingly, the high school newspaper article that first reported the issue seems to have been scrubbed! :rant:)

So yeah, there's a lot of weird latent fear out there. Some places have a ways to go before rpg'ing is accepted.

(And to those asking, the kid in the OP over on rpg.net is in Canada.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not to mention how many spells and items in pre-3Ed D&D were directly inspired by Biblical, Christian or other RW religious lore- Sticks to Snakes, anyone? Horn of Blasting? Paladins?

Last edited:

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
When Ragtime music (such artists like Scott Joplin) first began in the 1880s, Christians complained about it being Satanic. The reason why though is because the music was dominated by African American composers.

Whenever anything new comes along that doesn't have any benefit or they just don't like, Christians will always label it as Satanic because they just can't garner any sympathy if they say they just don't like it. If they say the just don't it, they'll be seen as very selfish, so calling it Satanic places the burden of proof on the people who like and create the works.

In other words, it's all a bunch of :):):):):):):):).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads