• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Still Satanic? "So my mom threw away all my D&D books..."

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I challenge you to describe how someone who has the ability, and the ethical justification for an action, dose not have the right. If the parents' justification is based on the child's well-being, then that justification fades when an action is counter to a child's well-being. And a teenager does have the ability to recognize that some things may be counter to their well-being. If, on the other hand, the justification is based on the parent's preferences, that is not a right, only a preference. Parents do not have a right to enforce what is merely a preference, any more than any human being can enforce their preferences on any other human being.

From the things that you post I would probably bet my life on it and say that you aren't a parent. Let me give you a little advice here. As long as a child lives under their parents roof then what ever that parent says goes, period. Some kids believe booze, drugs and sex are whats best for them and clearly it isn't. Also, we don't know the whole story from this kid. I have a friend who has to stay away from fantasy type games because he begins to believe the stuff is real and goes off the deep end.

This kids mom has every right to take away his books and do with them what ever she wishes. Is it right to handle the situation in that way? No it's not, there are better ways this could have been handled, but if she doesn't want those books in her house and if she doesn't want her son to play D&D then he has to obey or suffer the consequences. I hate to tell you but kids do not always know whats best for themselves because most kids are ignorant to how the real world works.

Doing anything in retaliation will only make the situation worse. The mom may have acted a little over the top but this is a perfect opportunity for the kid to act civil in the matter and discuss this with his mom rationally. If it doesn't work then he will just have to wait until he leaves his parent's home.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...and is probably not Catholic: JP2 came out and said HP books were not "satanic"...though, in contrast, a senior Exorcist did.

That's just not one of those accusations our clergy throws around all the time.

(Although they REALLY weren't fond of Bloodhound Gang's "The Bad Touch"...)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
When you talk about how parent's subjective preferences do not supersede a child's rights, but then they can and should act on behalf of the child's well-being, I have to ask, "how do you know the difference?"

Like almost everyone else, it's a "subjective preference" if it's something I disagree with.

Dice4Hire

First Post
What?? There's no Satan in D&D? Well poop, how am I supposed to get in on some eternal damnation now??

You are currently 570 pos... r... steps closer to damnation. Keep up the good work!

I have occasionally heard about this anti-D&D stuff, but that was back in college. The Japanese are way too private and unconcerned about religion to go nuts, and bless them for it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
This kids mom has every right to take away his books and do with them what ever she wishes. Is it right to handle the situation in that way? No it's not, there are better ways this could have been handled, but if she doesn't want those books in her house and if she doesn't want her son to play D&D then he has to obey or suffer the consequences. I hate to tell you but kids do not always know whats best for themselves because most kids are ignorant to how the real world works.

I'm a parent and I find this to be mostly BS.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
If the parents' justification is based on the child's well-being, then that justification fades when an action is counter to a child's well-being.

To me, it isn't so much about what's in the best interests of the child. It's about being someone's guest, which a child functionally is until they get out on their own. If I'm living under someone's roof, eating their food and otherwise using their resources, I'm going to respect their wishes about certain things. That's not about rights versus privileges, it's just basic respect for another person.

Which is why I kept playing after my own issues with this sort of thing--I was never directly told to stop playing the game. I was told to burn the D&D books and submit to counseling. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I felt that playing D&D elsewhere and just not volunteering information about my personal life satisfied the requirements set out for me.

Jan van Leyden said:
So with 17 years of experience with his mother and two years of experience as a roleplayer living in this house his mother flips out without any warning signs?

I'd been playing the game for four years and was fifteen when my father flipped out. No "warning signs." That's pretty much exactly what happened to me.

Johnny3D3D said:
Instead of fighting against it, I say the kid should wholeheartedly embrace it. Go balls to the wall with the Bible.

For what it's worth, this is probably the best approach if you really want to mess with people like that. I'd probably invite the people I play D&D with to church, see how she likes it.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Thank you all for reminding me how lucky I am that my parents, and my teachers, were not utter loons. No....they did what any smart parents would do. They said "Bring up your grades, or you can't play until you do!"

RC

Balesir

Adventurer
Just imagine what they would have thought if you were playing Al Quadim. You know, one thing I never got is why the ultra religious never thought about opening up the book and reading it (under clergical guidence is need be) before deciding if it was soul damning or not.

On the same token I'm amazed no one is complaining about the soul corrupting experience known as Farmville. After all if something could be stated as being tied to the demonic oppression it has to be a game that causes you to play it for five minutes at a time every several hour and then spend real money on things you can never own physically.
Dragging this topic back towards an RPG discussion, slightly, I think the Paladin in our game has this one summed up nicely in his motto:

"Thought Lets Doubt In!"

(Not meaning to reply to this specific post, BTW, it was just an example of several :) )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads