• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Still Satanic? "So my mom threw away all my D&D books..."

I'm a parent and I find this to be mostly BS.
I'm a parent as well, and I agree. The whole "my house, my rules" thing is a crummy way to treat your kids. It is in no way an absolute rule. When your kids are very young, obviously you need to provide a lot of parental override, but as they get older and wiser, they need to make their own decisions about certain things. Draconian parenting is something that belongs in the past. IMHO.

pawsplay

Hero
I can't help but notice a fishy smell to this report.

The guy's supposedly 17 years old and lives in Canada. He joined RPG.net some two years ago and has written several hundred posts on that board. There were other RPG books lying around and he was very open to mention his new books.

So with 17 years of experience with his mother and two years of experience as a roleplayer living in this house his mother flips out without any warning signs?

Not that I wouldn't expect strange behaviour from religious fundamentalists, but this I find really hard to believe.

With my mom, it was the hostage scenario in TMNT and Other Strangeness. My BECMI D&D stuff was collateral damage.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Draconian parenting is something that belongs in the past. IMHO.

Not according to the Tiger Mom... but, that's another story.

tigermommeme.jpg

pawsplay

Hero
To me, it isn't so much about what's in the best interests of the child. It's about being someone's guest, which a child functionally is until they get out on their own.

Children are not guests.

The relationship you are painting is completely backwards. When you have a child, by dint of creating them, you take responsibility for their well-being. Until such time as they can manage on their own, you owe them.

Children owe their parents zilch, nothing, nada. As the saying goes, they didn't ask to be born. They are not adults, and they did not incur their debts through any conscious act of their own.

Should children respect their parents and obey them? Yes, of course they should. But respect is a two way street. Children owe their parents respect as fellow human beings, not as their owners.

I offer you the words of the poet Kahlil Gibran:

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Children are not guests.

The relationship you are painting is completely backwards. When you have a child, by dint of creating them, you take responsibility for their well-being. Until such time as they can manage on their own, you owe them.

Children owe their parents zilch, nothing, nada. As the saying goes, they didn't ask to be born. They are not adults, and they did not incur their debts through any conscious act of their own.

Should children respect their parents and obey them? Yes, of course they should. But respect is a two way street. Children owe their parents respect as fellow human beings, not as their owners.

I offer you the words of the poet Kahlil Gibran:

It's posts like this that keep telling me you don't really know what parenting is all about. You say that children owe their parents nothing when that is so not true. You confuse the relationship between parents and their children as ownership of an item and that is not the case. Legally your children do belong to you but you must still act with in the laws and morals of what ever culture you exist under. Children owe their parents respect because they gave them a home to live in, food to eat, clothes on their back, and a safe environment to be in, not to mention all the extras that come with it.

If you do have children then I would recommend you go and read a few parenting magazines. The way you sound, you sound like a 17 year old teenager who don't really like their parents much because they didn't let you do what you wanted. In short you sound like a rebellious teenager.

I'm not taking hits at you I am just going by what I read from your posts and then you claim to have 5 children. Hell I could tell you I have 15 and you wouldn't know the difference.

P.S: Nobody ever said being a parent was perfect, nor an easy job but we do the best we can with the knowledge that we have. Children don't fully understand respect like an adult does, well like a normal adult does. Seriously, if all a child has to worry about is his mom flipping out about D&D because she doesn't want anything to happen to her child then that child is in good shape. Lot's of parents don't give a rat's arse what happens to their children and that is a sad situation.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads