• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Still Satanic? "So my mom threw away all my D&D books..."

Twowolves

Explorer
I'd say they have the ability (and some parental behaviour encourages it) but not the right.

I had to play marvel super heroes, and villains and vigilantes at high school, 'cause D&D was too contraversially 'bad'

You too eh? We had a player who's parents forbid him from playing D&D on religious grounds, but had absolutely no problem if we replaced "orcs" with "bank robbers" and "thieves" with "superheroes". So we played MSH and V&V until he turned 18 and then told them he was an adult and he'd do as he damn well pleased.

pawsplay

Hero
Children owe their parents respect because they gave them a home to live in, food to eat, clothes on their back, and a safe environment to be in, not to mention all the extras that come with it.

The first experience a child has as an independent being is being shoved and rotated through a very small opening, followed immediately by being cold and learning there is a difference between being in liquid and being wet. Are they supposed to feel happy about this?

If you do have children then I would recommend you go and read a few parenting magazines. The way you sound, you sound like a 17 year old teenager who don't really like their parents much because they didn't let you do what you wanted. In short you sound like a rebellious teenager.

What if I told you I'm in my mid-thirties and have six graduate level credit hours in human development?

I must admit, I am becoming increasingly intrigued by the basis for your guesswork.

Children owe their parents respect because they gave them a home to live in, food to eat, clothes on their back, and a safe environment to be in, not to mention all the extras that come with it.
This is the BS part. Children only owe their parents respect if their parents respect them in turn. Are you saying that so long as I provide food and shelter my kids owe me respect, regardless of what else I do? Can I smack them around or degrade and insult them? I can justify that by saying it keeps them safe from the world. Is it an absolute that they must respect me?

If you do have children then I would recommend you go and read a few parenting magazines.
If you parent based on parenting magazines, then I recommend you stop. Each child should be parented in a unique way, based on the parents and the child and the interaction between the two, and magazines don't know your kids or mine, much less me or you. I don't treat my daughter in exactly the same way as I treat my son, because they're two different people (very different in some ways), and I respect those differences.

pawsplay

Hero
You too eh? We had a player who's parents forbid him from playing D&D on religious grounds, but had absolutely no problem if we replaced "orcs" with "bank robbers" and "thieves" with "superheroes". So we played MSH and V&V until he turned 18 and then told them he was an adult and he'd do as he damn well pleased.

When my mom raised objections about D&D, we switched to super heroes, too, as a ploy. But when my mom walked in and heard us discussing the first hostage killing in the TMNT module, that was it.

Eventually, I saved up some money finishing furniture for my step-dad, which I was assured could be spent on anything I wanted. So I bought GURPS second edition. My mom was really excited when I got home to see what I bought, until I showed her. She didn't just look daggers, those were +1 flaming daggers. I just said, "You said I could spend it on anything I wanted," and that was that.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
The first experience a child has as an independent being is being shoved and rotated through a very small opening, followed immediately by being cold and learning there is a difference between being in liquid and being wet. Are they supposed to feel happy about this?

What if I told you I'm in my mid-thirties and have six graduate level credit hours in human development?

I must admit, I am becoming increasingly intrigued by the basis for your guesswork.

If you do then that's great, but your posts don't show me any evidence. Also there is no amount of schooling that will make you into a better parent. That comes with experience, not text books. I know more about what goes on with my two children than any doctor or psychologist around because I see them every day and I know when something is wrong. Sure I may not know more about the medical aspects but I know something on a much deeper level.

Also there is no amount of schooling that will make you into a better parent. That comes with experience, not text books. I know more about what goes on with my two children than any doctor or psychologist around because I see them every day and I know when something is wrong. Sure I may not know more about the medical aspects but I know something on a much deeper level.
No kidding - and yet you recommend parenting magazines?

pawsplay

Hero
If you parent based on parenting magazines, then I recommend you stop. Each child should be parented in a unique way, based on the parents and the child and the interaction between the two, and magazines don't know your kids or mine, much less me or you. I don't treat my daughter in exactly the same way as I treat my son, because they're two different people (very different in some ways), and I respect those differences.

No kidding. I don't just feel like a parent, I feel like ten parents: one for each of my children, with and without my partner present. You have to be flexible, bold, humble, sensitive, dominant, kind, orderly, spontaneous, curious, focused...

And yeah, I would be wary of taking any sort of advice from a magazine. Many articles that are intended to be helpful come loaded with messages about self-esteem that I would consider poisonous. I see lots of articles like "How to Get Your Child Into Their Dream School," not so many that say, "Have you considered that at 17 years old, your child may not be emotionally prepared for a pre-med program?"

Twowolves

Explorer
When my mom raised objections about D&D, we switched to super heroes, too, as a ploy. But when my mom walked in and heard us discussing the first hostage killing in the TMNT module, that was it.

As I recall, when I played that scenario, we hit the grenade-toting bull with full auto fire, got a critical or something, and the GM ruled his grenades all went off. So much for "hostages"....

My mom wasn't wild about me playing D&D either, but took the attitude that if I was at home with my friends on a Friday night, I wasn't out drinking and impregnating the masses or otherwise up to mischief. As long as I stayed out of trouble and continued to get all A's in school, what could she really complain about?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads