D&D Movie/TV D&D TV Show By John Wick Creator

From Hollywood Reporter — “Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.” https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dungeons-dragons-series-in-the-works-with-john-wick-writer-exclusive The article doesn’t say anything more, unfortunately, other than...

From Hollywood Reporter — “Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.”

25854BA4-2A31-4986-8951-52D4595812F0.jpeg

The article doesn’t say anything more, unfortunately, other than describing what D&D is — “Affectionately referred to by fans as D&D, the game is known for its wars, treasure hunts, campaigns, camaraderie, and reversals of fortune, all in a setting that combines humans, elves, orcs and hundreds of other creatures. The game famously uses multisided dice in gameplay to further the imaginary story and is overseen by a host known as the Dungeon Master.”

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Heck, they were doing credible "elves" on Star Trek in the 1960s. I think almost any humanoid, including Tieflings and Dragonborn, would be relatively easy to do these days. In the 1990s Babylon 5, which didn't have a huge budget, had the Drazi in some episodes. Thanks to shows like Star Trek, Babylon 5, Dr. Who, makeup artist and costumers have figured out the whole human with funny foreheads thing. I think it's a bigger problem to include the small races. It might be hard to get the halfling to look right.

View attachment 131647
Yeah, I don't really see any of the 6'-range height races being a problem. In fact, B5 had G-Kar as a regular, for cryin' out loud. Star Trek: Discovery has Saru, and recently featured a Tiefling-like (in terms of prosthetics and make-up) Andorian.

Dragonborn, tieflings, etc. are not a problem. (I know: easy for me to say - I don't have to apply the prosthetics and make-up, or sit in the chair for 2 hours a day or more! :) )

Elves are just ears and maybe eyebrows - and they usually hide the prosthetic ear seams with hair. Another non-issue, if you keep the ears of a practical size.

Regarding dwarves and their height - and to a lesser degree (no pun intended) halflings and gnomes and their height: making one actor look taller than another is one of the oldest tricks in the book. They put actors on little boxes or even walkways for walking scenes all the time to make them look taller than they are. They did plenty of that kind of thing in the LOTR movies, too. Obviously it's harder the shorter the race is.

I don't think they did scaled replica sets very often in the LOTR movies - the Bag End sets, obviously, but a lot of it was forced perspective, clever camera angles and actor movement, differently-sized body doubles, and the like. I'm not saying any of it is easy, but if they decide they want a gnome main character, they know what they're getting into and it's doable. It actually would make sense to have more than one character from the shorter races, so that when they interact you don't need any (or much) trickery at all.

What I do wonder is if they would even want to include halflings, since they're so closely associated with Middle-earth because of the 6 movies (albeit mostly referred to as hobbits therein). I think that's runs the risk of some brand confusion, but I might be overthinking this.

The ears - you can see the joins, and without some kind of animation, very large ears look dead (consider the ears on a dog - they move and twitch).

Two. Face and build is too human, large ears look dead. Vulcan ears are about as big as you can go without animating them.

"Face and build is too human". You mean like the vast majority of D&D elf art? Have a look of basically every 2nd edition depiction of elves.

"Face and build is too human". You mean like the vast majority of D&D elf art? Have a look of basically every 2nd edition depiction of elves.
Even in 2nd edition, elves weren't broad-shouldered, big-nosed and lumpen. And more recent depictions in D&D make their facial features far more alien.

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
It will be interesting to see if they want to differentiate the look of their elves from, for instance, the Middle-Earth movies' elves, or if they just go with the flow there.

Yeah, I don't really see any of the 6'-range height races being a problem. In fact, B5 had G-Kar as a regular, for cryin' out loud. Star Trek: Discovery has Saru, and recently featured a Tiefling-like (in terms of prosthetics and make-up) Andorian.

Dragonborn, tieflings, etc. are not a problem. (I know: easy for me to say - I don't have to apply the prosthetics and make-up, or sit in the chair for 2 hours a day or more! :) )
Thing to notice about Saru and G'kar is their prosthesis incorporate the actors' eyes and mouth, so the character has a range of facial expressions. If they stick to dragonborn as depicted in D&D art, they would have to have a full head mask.
1611391482343.png

You could animate the mask using animatronics or cgi, but then you are making the character far more expensive.

Tieflings, on the other hand, are cheep as chips - horns are inherently inanimate!
Elves are just ears and maybe eyebrows - and they usually hide the prosthetic ear seams with hair. Another non-issue, if you keep the ears of a practical size.

Regarding dwarves and their height - and to a lesser degree (no pun intended) halflings and gnomes and their height: making one actor look taller than another is one of the oldest tricks in the book. They put actors on little boxes or even walkways for walking scenes all the time to make them look taller than they are. They did plenty of that kind of thing in the LOTR movies, too. Obviously it's harder the shorter the race is.

I don't think they did scaled replica sets very often in the LOTR movies - the Bag End sets, obviously, but a lot of it was forced perspective, clever camera angles and actor movement, differently-sized body doubles, and the like. I'm not saying any of it is easy, but if they decide they want a gnome main character, they know what they're getting into and it's doable. It actually would make sense to have more than one character from the shorter races, so that when they interact you don't need any (or much) trickery at all.
Such shots require precise set-ups and careful editing. This makes it a very slow way of shooting. That might be fine for a movie, but with the rapid turn-around schedules of TV it's something I would prefer to avoid if I was producing a TV show. It's not like it's necessary.
What I do wonder is if they would even want to include halflings, since they're so closely associated with Middle-earth because of the 6 movies (albeit mostly referred to as hobbits therein). I think that's runs the risk of some brand confusion, but I might be overthinking this.
I think they will prefer to avoid anything too closely associated with Lord of the Rings, so probably no hobbits, dwarves or elves in major roles, unless they went for radically different designs.

If you look at races not in the core rules, then orcs, goliaths, and all the Eberron races look like strong candidates.

More likely in a movie, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a small cgi character, such as a kobold or imp.

Last edited:

I think they will prefer to avoid anything too closely associated with Lord of the Rings, so probably no hobbits, dwarves or elves in major roles, unless they went for radically different designs.
I, on the other hand, think they will milk that cash cow for all it's worth - this is show biz after all. Which, since halflings are completely impractical, and dwarves fairly impractical, means we'll almost certainly have elves as important characters.

Beyond that, since it will be branded off the game, and the PHB specifically states that humans, dwarves, haflings, and elves are the "common races", that again points to having elves as important characters for the same reason.

I get that elves are seen as cliche, but, there is precisely zero chance they will purposely forgo them, or even assign them to a minor role, or even, as you say, change them radically. They are a major part of the IP, and audiences in general will expect to see stereotypical elves in a D&D product. I mean, to the uninitiated, D&D is basically "elves and all that".

Last edited:

What happens with elves will also depend on which setting is used for any movies or TV series. In some worlds, they are shorter and slimmer than humans, and in others, they are as tall or taller and still slimmer than humans. If it is set in the Realms, then the elves by default will be very similar to Tolkien elves.

MGibster

Legend
Beyond that, since it will be branded off the game, and the PHB specifically states that humans, dwarves, haflings, and elves are the "common races", that again points to having elves as important characters for the same reason.
I'm always suspicious when I hear an adaptation is veering away from the source material in bizarre ways. If they removed dwarves, halflings, and elves it would just make me wonder why the hell they bothered to call it D&D. If they can't even get the basics right then why should I invest anything in the show? So, yeah, I don't think they can remove them from the show. Why would they? It'd make me think they were embarrassed about the source material.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads