D&D Movie/TV D&D TV Show By John Wick Creator

From Hollywood Reporter — “Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.”

25854BA4-2A31-4986-8951-52D4595812F0.jpeg

The article doesn’t say anything more, unfortunately, other than describing what D&D is — “Affectionately referred to by fans as D&D, the game is known for its wars, treasure hunts, campaigns, camaraderie, and reversals of fortune, all in a setting that combines humans, elves, orcs and hundreds of other creatures. The game famously uses multisided dice in gameplay to further the imaginary story and is overseen by a host known as the Dungeon Master.”

BRayne

Adventurer
In terms of "Actual Play" people contributing as actors, I would think it's tiered:
Main Party Character tier: Joe Manganiello and Deborah Ann Woll
Recurring Character: Ashley Johnson and Lou Wilson
Bit characters: Emily Axford, Brian Murphy, Zac Oyama
Pure Cameos: Other CR/D20/Naddpod actors and/or McElroys

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I missed out on most of the FR stuff and never read any of the Drizzt novels. I know of Elminster because of some old articles in Dragon Magazine but my first real exposure to FR was 5e.

But I don't understand the objection to a series based on Drizzt. Sure, for those you who have been playing D&D for continuously for decades, Drizzt is over done and you are sick of him.

But for a general TV audience, he seems like a compelling character and it highlights some unique aspects of the realm. They'll likely need to sanitize and make some changes to Drow appearance and culture for modern audiences, but I think that can be done without completely ruining the flavor of the Drow.

To me a series based on Drizzt, or something set in Dragonlance, seem to be very strong candidates for stories that would be interesting to a broad audience, feel very much like D&D, and allow for spin offs if successful.

Oofta

Legend
I missed out on most of the FR stuff and never read any of the Drizzt novels. I know of Elminster because of some old articles in Dragon Magazine but my first real exposure to FR was 5e.

But I don't understand the objection to a series based on Drizzt. Sure, for those you who have been playing D&D for continuously for decades, Drizzt is over done and you are sick of him.

But for a general TV audience, he seems like a compelling character and it highlights some unique aspects of the realm. They'll likely need to sanitize and make some changes to Drow appearance and culture for modern audiences, but I think that can be done without completely ruining the flavor of the Drow.

To me a series based on Drizzt, or something set in Dragonlance, seem to be very strong candidates for stories that would be interesting to a broad audience, feel very much like D&D, and allow for spin offs if successful.

A guy running around with pointy ears and blackface from a culture dominated by an evil matriarchy basically sums it up.

Haven't you noticed what this would mean? YOUTUBE AMVs!! Yes, seriously. Lots of DC superheroes are famous again thanks teleseries.

Isn't it funny? I am thinking about a revival of Urban Arcana, a setting of d20 Modern, because this is easier to be produced as an action-live title.

And why has it to be an action-live and not a CGI animation, wouldn't be easier to be produced?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The layers upon layers of plot armor & "because the gods" makes "showcase the world" difficult & a tv series doesn't need to pay wotc for a license to showcase generic ~900-1300AD europe version of epcot world showcase. Most people who might watch a d&d tv series have a pretty good idea what to expect from generic historical europe

I agree entirely about the heroes journey type stuff. Even in anime & such where the main character starts monstrously powerful they are just nothing compared to the big threats they need to work up towards.
FR has no relation to generic historical Europe (whatever that is). It’s modern American renfair through and through.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases