D&D Movie/TV D&D TV Show By John Wick Creator

From Hollywood Reporter — “Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.” https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dungeons-dragons-series-in-the-works-with-john-wick-writer-exclusive The article doesn’t say anything more, unfortunately, other than...

From Hollywood Reporter — “Derek Kolstad, the creator and writer behind the John Wick franchise, has been tapped to pen and develop a pitch for a live-action series based on the Dungeons & Dragons universe.”

25854BA4-2A31-4986-8951-52D4595812F0.jpeg

The article doesn’t say anything more, unfortunately, other than describing what D&D is — “Affectionately referred to by fans as D&D, the game is known for its wars, treasure hunts, campaigns, camaraderie, and reversals of fortune, all in a setting that combines humans, elves, orcs and hundreds of other creatures. The game famously uses multisided dice in gameplay to further the imaginary story and is overseen by a host known as the Dungeon Master.”

R_J_K75

Legend
Seems like a wild overreaction, but okay
I dont like the character. I would rather see the show be its own new thing then writing stories based on super uber characters. Wasnt a fan of the 2nd season of the Mandolorian because they shoe-horned a "character" in there and it was neither organic nor make any sense.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I dont like the character. I would rather see the show be its own new thing then writing stories based on super uber characters. Wasnt a fan of the 2nd season of the Mandolorian because they shoe-horned a "character" in there and it was neither organic nor make any sense.
Okay. Seems like an extreme reaction to cancel whatever service it comes on because you dislike a character.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
They aren't going to forgo using the name - that would just be shooting yourself in the marketing foot. Beyond that, there's no way Hasbro would let them use the IP without using the name.
They can use the name if it's attached to a specific setting, but just calling it Dungeons and Dragons The TV Show is too ubiquitous.

Now, if the show is titled something like...

Tales of the Forgotten Realms: A Dungeons and Dragons tv show...

That's better.

Absolutely. In the age of Star Trek: Discovery, Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Marvel's Wandavision the public are very used to the idea of [name of franchise] [name of show]. It seems to me fairly obvious that both a D&D TV show and a movie would also follow this format.

dave2008

Legend
FR has no relation to generic historical Europe (whatever that is). It’s modern American renfair through and through.
It has been a while since I've been to a renfair here, but it was nothing like the FR! Now, the renfair I went to in France was a bit closer - they even had a dragon!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
One show isn't enough. It needs have multiple throughout the D&D universe.
"Need" is a strong word.

I'd expect the initial foray as being what folks in the general population think of when they think D&D - RenFaire with real monsters. And closest world in the multiverse that maps to that is Forgotten Realms (or perhaps Greyhawk).

Then, if successful, then either they spawn new series (better) or the characters do some 'verse hopping (not as good).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads